Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 2 row modern planter with a transmission to change populations? Could you post pictures? I would like to be able to plant sweet corn, pumpkins, and green beans. Would also consider a one row.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Can't help you but it looks in great shape.:good2:

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
A JD 71 would be right up your alley.

I converted this one to a sleeve hitch but originally they clamped to a tool bar. Would be easy to fab something up.

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Does anyone have a 2 row modern planter with a transmission to change populations? Could you post pictures? I would like to be able to plant sweet corn, pumpkins, and green beans. Would also consider a one row.
It looks like with that one you could change the two sprockets. That one has the original drivewheel But I am not sure if you could add the standard transmission to it. I doubt the standard transmission would even get down to what you’re looking for for pumpkins. Every 6-3/4”, maybe it’s 7-3/4” on a 30” row gives a 30k population. I would think the transmission would only adjust between about 24k and 40k. You would have to look in the 7000 manual to see.

I could see where green beans would work well in it but the fingers do not do well with pumpkins. Most people who use them for that pull the box and meter off, mark the drive wheel and have some one drop a seed down the tube at the proper time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like with that one you could change the two sprockets. That one has the original drivewheel But I am not sure if you could add the standard transmission to it. I doubt the standard transmission would even get down to what you’re looking for for pumpkins. Every 6-3/4”, maybe it’s 7-3/4” on a 30” row gives a 30k population. I would think the transmission would only adjust between about 24k and 40k. You would have to look in the 7000 manual to see.

I could see where green beans would work well in it but the fingers do not do well with pumpkins. Most people who use them for that pull the box and meter off, mark the drive wheel and have some one drop a seed down the tube at the proper time.

With a 7000 planter corn meter you can cut off every other finger to reduce the population by half. I don?t really like the mode 71, I don?t think you can plant pumpkins very well with a plate planter like that.i also like the more modern closing wheels. The planter in the picture has a full transmission, very similar to a kinze.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a flex 71 and I really like the planter due to it's simplicity. Yes it does take seed plates which is kind of a hassle but there are only a few seed plates that are really needed. Lincoln Ag products still sells the seed plates and even sells blanks so you can customize them if you like to. On the 71 you can also change the gear sprocket behind the "71" chain cover. Most of these planters come with two different sprockets to change the speed. Changing them is about as easy as putting a bike chain back on that rode off.

I would definitely recommend going with either a 71 flex or a 7000 planter. The older planters such as a 290 or 494 are typically shoe planters and not double disc openers. Shoe planters require an incredibly clean and smooth seed bed. They were great for their time but there are much better products out there now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a single row for sale if you’re interested. I’m about 30 minutes northwest of Richmond, IN.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in the process off making a couple of 2 row planters from a JD 7000. It was an 8 row, the guy I got it from wanted a 4 row for himself to spot plant so I kept the original transmission with that. On the 2 rows I'm going to try and setup an orbit motor and a flow control valve to control the population.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts