Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have used a 3 point hitch disc (or disc harrow, as some are referred to) on their 1025r?

I have some small areas on the farm that would be beneficial for a small disc, including the garden in the spring.

I see County Line makes a medium duty model that is 6 and half foot wide; seems too big for that size tractor.

Five foot would appear to be good.

People's experience's or opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Reactions: smalltime

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I was hopin I could help but it's been two months and I still have not received mine. However I will share with you how I arrived at my decision. I knew I wanted a Land Pride because of the way the gangs adjust, however when it came to the width I became more concerned with weight than with the pulling power. Farmer friends at work said you could go slightly shallower with a 5' and make two passes to achieve what you want if absolutely necessary. I also knew I wanted notched discs for the aggressiveness and the farmers at work told me they would pull harder, I'm not sure what the Countyline has. I went with a 4ft Land Pride because the 5ft weighed 580lbs accordin to the dealer and I was afraid the 1025R couldn't lift that much that far back and I'm not sure it would fit width wise where I want to get to disc. However after I purchased it I am pretty sure I found someone on this site that had one. I will try to find that topic for you.

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts

Another topic that may be of interest. Hopefully this helps ya.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is a little OT from your question, but I was looking into getting one. i picked up a Single bar c tine cultivator instead. It does a great job on the back of the 1025r, especially in the moist spring soil. The times easily cut in, and it doesn’t clog up with mud. There are a lot of used ones floating around for about $200, and new ones are only about $300. It might be worth trying one. I love mine. But then, I have never used a disc harrow.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,460 Posts
I ran Frontier DH1066's (5 1/2') on my 2025R, it could have handled more, but not a lot. 6 1/2' disc harrows are likely to weigh in around 800 lbs +/- and will probably be a little much for a 1025.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Land Pride DH1060 for my 1025r. It has notched blades front and rear. Pulls with ease except when I have both gangs set aggressively. Just have to engage the four wheel drive and it pulls it with ease again.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@gdow thanks for the links. I swear I searched 12 different ways and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for all the responses so far, seems to confirm my thoughts about size and weight.

Unfortunately, I don't see many sitting around at dealers and what there is available, is a hike for me. I am guessing if I order, I probably won't see it for this spring.

Hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
151 Posts
@gdow thanks for the links. I swear I searched 12 different ways and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for all the responses so far, seems to confirm my thoughts about size and weight.

Unfortunately, I don't see many sitting around at dealers and what there is available, is a hike for me. I am guessing if I order, I probably won't see it for this spring.

Hmmmmm.......
I know for me, it took 2wks for the salesman to get back with me, then another week of goin back and forth on price and stuff. Ordered February 22nd, he said 2-3wks, and I still haven't heard nothin. I'm in Ohio, not sure if territory makes a difference. Ordered a Land Pride DH1048. And no problem on the links.

·
Registered
403 Posts
People's experience's or opinions are welcome.
Smalltime - I've watched the posts and looked at prior discussions and finally went out to buy a disc. It started out as a nightmare!! I went to my local Deere dealer and he told me some interesting information. Here's what I found out:
1) Pricing varies dealer to dealer depending on the size of their sales. He couldn't reduce the price any from the website list.
2)He could order me one. For my tractor he suggested the 1166. When he tried to get a delivery date, the Deere order site wouldn't even give him an estimated date of delivery. He anticipates it would be late July at best. What in the world is that for a delivery date?????? Sales must REALLY be good. And that's exactly what I found out. I tried to get one from a manufacturer in Alabama on our way home from Florida but they can't get parts for production.
3)There is no such thing as "used" in our area!!! New is the only option.
4)Only one local tractor supplier would even return my request for information. But -- the good news is he had one!!!

The Woods model has individual adjustments for each gang. While both sides - left to right - have to be set the same, they move super easy compared to some of the other models I've watched video's on of the guys trying to adjust them.

I haven't gotten to use it yet but I should very soon. If you want something this spring, you better start finding out what inventory is available. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Smalltime - I've watched the posts and looked at prior discussions and finally went out to buy a disc. It started out as a nightmare!! I went to my local Deere dealer and he told me some interesting information. Here's what I found out:
1) Pricing varies dealer to dealer depending on the size of their sales. He couldn't reduce the price any from the website list.
2)He could order me one. For my tractor he suggested the 1166. When he tried to get a delivery date, the Deere order site wouldn't even give him an estimated date of delivery. He anticipates it would be late July at best. What in the world is that for a delivery date?????? Sales must REALLY be good. And that's exactly what I found out. I tried to get one from a manufacturer in Alabama on our way home from Florida but they can't get parts for production.
3)There is no such thing as "used" in our area!!! New is the only option.
4)Only one local tractor supplier would even return my request for information. But -- the good news is he had one!!!
View attachment 783485
View attachment 783486

The Woods model has individual adjustments for each gang. While both sides - left to right - have to be set the same, they move super easy compared to some of the other models I've watched video's on of the guys trying to adjust them.
View attachment 783487

I haven't gotten to use it yet but I should very soon. If you want something this spring, you better start finding out what inventory is available. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.
I still don't have mine. Goin on two months now. I agree on all your points.

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tried the Woods Disc yesterday. While I don't have anything to compare it with, I think it did a really great job. Way better than I had been expecting. I guess my expectations weren't very high because of all the big rocks and roots that are in the area.

We picked up all the rocks and roots that were showing and then I used the bucket to level out the ground. We then went thru again and picked up the rocks and roots.

Then I ran the disc thru 3 times. It turned out better than I thought because of the 4"-6" of wood chips which were already down.

We also pulled up a huge amount of rocks again. SO ...... we'll be picking up rocks again. I think I'll disc again to get down deeper. It was about 3"-4" up on the discs. I may need some more weight though. Any ideas?

Reactions: Rodehard and gdow

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
I have what was sold to me as a 5 foot disk, but its probably closer to 6 than 5. I use it at my hunting club to disk green fields. Have not run it on my 1026R, but ran it with my 2305. I had 5 of the 42 pound weights on the front, and usually disked in high range. A couple of my plots have some uphill slope to them, and that could be a little tough on it when in high and going up hill.

My biggest problem was I wanted to pull the disk fast to cut better, and ran out of seat suspension long before I ran out of tractor speed. It does a good job, although I did bend a couple of the brackets by getting the very back outward disk hung on some pine trees.... because I am skilled like that.

Some of the plots I had to get after with a subsoiler to effectively disk properly. So if you aren't getting good depth, I would definitely recommend using a subsoiler and then going back over it. You will be amazed how much better the disk works.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Regarding subsoiler use - are you having to use the subsoiler all the time (each season) or is this a one time type of activity to remove / loosen rocks, roots, etc???

Reactions: Pigpen

·
Registered
2016 1025r
752 Posts
Regarding subsoiler use - are you having to use the subsoiler all the time (each season) or is this a one time type of activity to remove / loosen rocks, roots, etc???
It depends on soil on clay every year but sand no one every 2 years is fine

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
I'm the same. Generally if I can't get the disk to penetrate enough to create a halfway decent seed bed, then I subsoil it. Clay is the worst because it turns into a brick when it's dry. Then water runs off or only penetrates a couple inches.

I have also found an article online about food plots in well established hunting clubs developing hardpan, which leads to poor performance even when you have limed and fertilized. Basically the constant annual disk and plant tends to compact the soil over time..

That is why I wanted a flail mower. Plant brassicas, grains and clover in the fall, and then beans and peas in the spring. Instead of discing in spring I just broadcast and then cut with flail and spray with clethodim and 24 db. In the fall I just broadcast into standing beans and peas.

I want to get away from using the disk all together, except for new plots.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts