Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 2210. When I first start the tractor the lift arms go up fine, but they go down very slowly. After about 5 minutes they will go down if I stand on them, and shortly after that they won't go down at all. I don't have anything mounted on the back, but the lift arms control the mower deck height. This started slowly over a couple of weeks where it would go down slowly at first, then slower as time went on, but it was this week that it stopped going down at all. There is no problem with raising the lift arms, just lowing them. It doesn't matter if the cutting deck is on or off the tractor, the problem is the same.

After I turn the tractor off the arms are still stuck up, but if I leave the rockshaft control lever in the down position the arms are down by the next day. I have checked the rockshaft control knob and turned it from open to closed and back again with no change. The loader works fine and there is no problem with the hydrostatic drive. Today I changed the transmission fluid and filter and cleaned the suction screen. The screen had two long, thin magnets in it and they were covered with fine metal shavings. I bought this tractor used in 2009 and I don't know if the magnets are a first owner feature or factory. They don't quite fit right so I assume they are from the first owner, plus there is no mention of them in the manual. Either way I thought is was a good idea and put them back in when I reassembled everything. I bought the filter and fluid from the local JD dealer and made sure the fluid was at the correct level as indicated in the sight glass. I really thought this was going to fix it, but there is no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,521 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

Have you checked that the rock-shaft "Rate-of-Drop" adjustment knob may have been accidentally closed a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I open and closed it a couple of times. When closed I can't lift or lower the arms, but they do raise when it's open so I assume the knob is working properly.

Frank

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Do you have any other hydraulics on the tractor like power beyond,, or connections for a backhoe?

Something else may have changed,,,:dunno:

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
If your rate of drop knob is "open", then I would suggest you check the mower lift linkage to see if it is binding.

Dave

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
523 Posts
I fought the same thing and found that my side links were too tight. Once loosened just a bit, problem went away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately nothing has changed. I don't have any extra hydraulics on the tractor and the mower linkage is all loose to the point that when the deck is off the tractor and the lift arms are all the way down I can move the lift linkage through a complete range of motion with my hand. The side links haven't been adjusted since I've owned the tractor and appear very loose at all height ranges of the lift arms. I'm beginning to think it's a valve in the control box not letting the hydraulic fluid flow out of the cylinder that raises the lift arms.

I think the tractor is headed to the shop.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the 3 point from the lift arms? Do the lift arms move 100%? Does the 3 point move 100% Would love to see you fix it without a Dealer visit.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Grease on the Pivot points?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it took so long to get back to this post. I use the tractor to plow snow in the winter and in the spring of 2018 when I took the plow off and put the cutting deck back on it was still not working. About a month later I went out one day and it started working again. I'm glad I procrastinated about getting it to the shop. My only explanation is a guess, but I think there was a small particle of something floating in the hydraulic fluid that jammed in one of the internal valves. Eventually it must have worked it's way out. Thanks for all the suggestions, I did check or try everything mentioned and even though nothing worked, it was a good way to eliminate many possibilities.

All the Best to everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts