Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From what I have read there is a pressure relief valve for the rockshaft somewhere under the seat on a 1025r. I would like to adjust mine as the hitch will JUST lift my ballast box filled with concrete hooked on the imatch. Guessing 650 pounds. I would look for it myself but I have a mauser cab and anything under the seat becomes time consuming fast. Maybe someone could snap a picture? Possibly I can remove one rear tire or the other and get to it??
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The concrete filled ballast box may just be about all your tractor capacity is able to lift. Here is a prior thread about that.

The rate of descent adjustment knob, if that is your question, is right between your lower legs as you sit on the seat, about 2 inches above the hump in the center of the floorboard, and just below the slide lever for the seat. It looks like it might be a tension adjustment knob for the seat, but it is not.

The tension adjusting nut fo the rockshaft control lever, if that is what you need, is just behind the top of the right rear tire at the base of the lever , pointed out to the right side. Wheel removal is not necessary to reach it - but I am not familiar with the restrictions of the cab.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The only relief valve i know of is on the SCV for the loader. You may have low pressure from factory. Mine is just under 1900 PSI. 1900-2050 is what i think are in factory specs but i may be wrong.
you can get a gauge from bolt on hooks 🪝

Reactions: stevenk

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,233 Posts
The tech manual only refers to the main hydraulic relief valve and a steering relief valve. The rockshaft is the last device in the hydraulic circuit so it must be use whatever the system pressure is.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
OP / ALL,
This is the very reason I preach about not using a ballast box filled with concrete or other materials that can not be readily removed. Buy a good hammer drill and start pulling some material out of the box. Then buy some 32lb solid blocks at HD for $1.50 each and adjust as needed.

Reactions: X758er

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
The 3 point is the last device on the implement hydraulic circuit. The same circuit as the loader and any other gadgets. The pressure relief valve at the loader SCV above the back right wheel is the one that serves that entire circuit.

It is possible (but unlikely) it is set too low. Verify with a gauge before adjusting it. Many people have turned the pressure up a bit to 2200 or 2300. But at your own risk of course.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts

I see a surge relief but the 172 bar setting is around 2500 psi, 500 psi above the system pressure. This is likely in place to protect against overpressure from bouncing load spikes while traveling.
If this valve was faulty it could indeed dump pressure at too low a value.
I would check the machines system pressure first but since it doesn't make 2500 psi I can't see how you can check this rock shaft relief valve on the machine.
Also the rock shaft piston seal may be leaking past when trying to lift this weight.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 3 point is the last device on the implement hydraulic circuit. The same circuit as the loader and any other gadgets. The pressure relief valve at the loader SCV above the back right wheel is the one that serves that entire circuit.

It is possible (but unlikely) it is set too low. Verify with a gauge before adjusting it. Many people have turned the pressure up a bit to 2200 or 2300. But at your own risk of course.
if the 3pt hitch is the last in the circuit and it’s 2500psi then wouldn’t 2200 to 2300 at the loader scv be okay? i would think so but definitely not very knowledgeable on hydraulics.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
As toddsworth's picture shows, there is a pressure relief valve on the rockshaft, though I don't think it's adjustable. The tech manual doesn't show an adjustment that I can find. A rockshaft lift cycle test should be performed to see where the problem may lie.

·
Premium Member
2,188 Posts
Yes the one on the rockshaft is just for shock relief and is set much higher than the implement relief valve at the loader SCV. It is pretty unlikely the problem is that shock relief valve.

A pressure gauge is the only way you can judge if pressure is too low.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
That's why I said a rockshaft lift cycle test should be performed. I wasn't suggesting the pressure valve was the problem. These 1 series have more problems, though semi-rare, with the rockshaft piston than they do with any of the pressure relief valves.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a gauge, I will check system pressure. With the ballast box and imatch I am around 650 and I know others can lift 8-900 lbs. no problem. I see now that the relief at the rockshaft is surge relief so if your implement bounces or what not the valve can open and protect things. The capacity is listed at 758 pounds 24 in behind arms, I dont think I have that much but could verify. It always lifts it eventually but its a struggle.
Thanks again I will report back with updates

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I suggest purchasing a crane scale (roughly $20 and up on Amazon) and picking up the ballast box hanging on the loader to get a real weight. I have one, and was quite surprised by how far off I was with my estimated weights as I tried different ballast box fills. I’ve had sand, gravel, brick pavers, scrap steel, and now finally just use my suitcase weights and a few chains In the box.

There is a point, at approximately 650 actual pounds of ballast box on my 1025R where the 3 point starts to struggle, and adding one more suitcase weight to the box overwhelms it completely. That load measurement does not include the iMatch weight, which is a constant.

I suspect some of the 8-900 pound lifters you know are over-estimating or engaged in wishful thinking or just plain bragging.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Florida Deere puts it to the test. Have you seen this yet?

Reactions: PlumberHome

·
Registered
193 Posts
I suggest purchasing a crane scale (roughly $20 and up on Amazon) and picking up the ballast box hanging on the loader to get a real weight. I have one, and was quite surprised by how far off I was with my estimated weights as I tried different ballast box fills. I’ve had sand, gravel, brick pavers, scrap steel, and now finally just use my suitcase weights and a few chains In the box.

There is a point, at approximately 650 actual pounds of ballast box on my 1025R where the 3 point starts to struggle, and adding one more suitcase weight to the box overwhelms it completely. That load measurement does not include the iMatch weight, which is a constant.
View attachment 788384

I suspect some of the 8-900 pound lifters you know are over-estimating or engaged in wishful thinking or just plain bragging.
you should be able to lift 1000lbs full height at the pins. you should check that as well if you can. similar to what TTWT did in one of his videos.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
you should be able to lift 1000lbs full height at the pins. you should check that as well if you can. similar to what TTWT did in one of his videos.
Yep, I have spent some effort doing load evaluations with my tractor, which is why I own a crane scale in the first place. I am pretty sure I could manage a half ton at the pins, but that isn’t a real world lifting situation In my tractor life. Nothing I own is l weight- centered over the lift arm pins, even less so since I have an iMatch in back with that distance added to be factored in.

As a former researcher, I am interested in both accuracy and applicability to real life. Among complicating factors not all ballast boxes are the same sizes or distribute weight to the pins the same ways. For example, the suitcase weights I store in my box sit on the back side of the floor, and the chains are in the front. If I swapped places, the weight distribution relative to the pins would change. Notice the guy in the Florida Deere video has no iMatch, he is going on faith that each bag weighs what the label says, and he seems to have guess-timated the weight of his ballast box as his starting point.

BTW I confirmed my crane scale by comparing it to the same loads on my 2,000 pound horse scale.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE. I plugged in my gauge today after using the tractor for a while. The hydraulic pressure measured 2100 psi.
That IS in spec but..... since 2250 psi is the top of the in spec range I removed the RR wheel and adjusted the relief valve. After adjustment it measured 2300 psi. 50 psi over spec, I am confident deere engineered some fudge factor into the unit so I left it at 2300. NOW the 3pt goes right up no problem with the ballast box. Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
UPDATE. I plugged in my gauge today after using the tractor for a while. The hydraulic pressure measured 2100 psi.
That IS in spec but..... since 2250 psi is the top of the in spec range I removed the RR wheel and adjusted the relief valve. After adjustment it measured 2300 psi. 50 psi over spec, I am confident deere engineered some fudge factor into the unit so I left it at 2300. NOW the 3pt goes right up no problem with the ballast box. Thanks for the replies!!
i thought spec was 2000psi for the 1025R? 2250psi sounds nice.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,233 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.