Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I do not tighten the turnbuckles on the 3 pt hitch, it sways to the point of popping off the retaining clip to one of the arms... found this out the hard way. Anyway; the key ring things provided by JD on my 1025R to keep the turnbuckles from loosening to say the least are a pain in the butt.

I am looking around for something that would provide a better ease of use situation. I have entertained the idea of some kinda lock to replace the turnbuckle key ring things as well as a stablelize or even an aftermarket iHitch (way cheaper). Will anybody please help me with any ideas on this? I have always found extremely helpful advice from y'all on here and as always, many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
374 Posts
You could do a couple of things-
1) Replace the factory turnbuckles with a different set, that functions differently. Instead of using the pin, for instance, get a set with a jam nut. Unfortunately, there is not an option to replace the turnbuckles with telescoping stabilizers. I build them, so I'm right familiar with stabilizers. The setup on many compact John Deere tractors, including yours, is way too short for telescoping stabilizers to function. Therefore, you are restricted to turnbuckles.
2) Use what you have, and get a quick hitch. Then, you set your turnbuckles to accommodate the hitch, then leave it alone. All of your implements, though, need to be compatible with the quick hitch.

That's about it.

I hated the factory turnbuckles on my 790, with worked the same as your current ones. I did build a set of telescoping stabilizers, and they fit, but they were simply too short to have enough holes/adjustment to work satisfactorily. Therefore, I bought an aftermarket set of turnbuckles, that had a handle for adjustment, and uses a jam nut to keep them tight. They aren't ideal, but they work and they are better than the factory turnbuckles.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
If I do not tighten the turnbuckles on the 3 pt hitch, it sways to the point of popping off the retaining clip to one of the arms... found this out the hard way. Anyway; the key ring things provided by JD on my 1025R to keep the turnbuckles from loosening to say the least are a pain in the butt.

I am looking around for something that would provide a better ease of use situation. I have entertained the idea of some kinda lock to replace the turnbuckle key ring things as well as a stablelize or even an aftermarket iHitch (way cheaper). Will anybody please help me with any ideas on this? I have always found extremely helpful advice from y'all on here and as always, many thanks in advance!
Post some pics and you will get help. With rig on level surface, Your implement should be dead centered in relation to the rigs three point, leveled with the adjustable lift arm on the,"rear passenger side", angled with the adjustment of the upper link and sway turn buckles snugged up so there isn't side to side play but not so tight that the,"lift and lowering" stresses those rig side pins of the lower lift arms. lube everything with fluid film, raise and lower implement, adjust as need be and tune it up before you roll.

I also use harpin clips

Reactions: bama21fs

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
On my 2720 turnbuckles I replaced the key ring (aka devil ring) with a simple hairpin clip. The length of the hairpin keeps the turnbuckle from rotating. I've been using it this way for over 3 years now and no issues.

I can take a photo if you like.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
On my 2720 turnbuckles I replaced the key ring (aka devil ring) with a simple hairpin clip. The length of the hairpin keeps the turnbuckle from rotating. I've been using it this way for over 3 years now and no issues.

I can take a photo if you like.
:bigthumb: i use the same thing on my 2520-which is just an older model of the 2720. but i found u have to find just the right length of one-or it will work down a hair and let it rotate some. one side always stays put-other side not so good. guessing it's from making right turns all the time:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I replaced the ring things (ugh) with a cotter pin, and never had a problem after that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! I am going to try the big cotter key thing and also look for the turnbuckles with a jam nut. Fill better with the turnbuckles with jam nuts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some?

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks all! I am going to try the big cotter key thing and also look for the turnbuckles with a jam nut. Fill better with the turnbuckles with jam nuts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some?
I bought something like this-
https://www.compactractorparts.com/tractor-parts/hitch-kits/stabilzer-chain-w-nut-lock-washer
For my 790. You would need to reduce the length- cut the links off on the axle side, and make/have made a flat plate to attach to the rod. I haven't seen anything that is built specifically for the 1025.
You may find that adapting what you already have is the simplest solution. I, personally, like the buckle with the handle- it is easier to adjust.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My setup is a little different but I think this what the guys are talking about, I installed larger locking keys or pins or whatever they are called.

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
My setup is a little different but I think this what the guys are talking about, I installed larger locking keys or pins or whatever they are called.

Doug
It looks like I'll be doing the same, I hate those loopy ring.

It looks like the attachment points where you have the zip ties holding linkage the are swapped. The attachment loop should be to the outside rather than the inside, unless you moved them to that position specifically, then carry on!!:thumbup1gif:

3pt.png

1 - 11 of 11 Posts