Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 foot snow blower for my 4300 JD. I am looking for a way not to mark up my driveway as I just had it sealed. Theres no snow yet but I want this ready for when it does. Do they make a wheel kit for something this big. I found skid shoes but thought wheels on the side might be better. What do you think?
Machine Toolroom Machine tool

·
Administrator
23,165 Posts
I have never seen a "kit" for them, but I have seen pictures where guys have added trailer tongue jacks, they offer wheels and adjustability.

Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
The jacks are a good idea.... I've looked into install casters on my big flail, but they are not easy to find. There'd be some fabrication involved.

-Jer.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I would think the wheels would be prone to clogging with snow and then not turning / swiveling correctly. Plus, you have the possible issue of having to mount them "outboard enough" so that they could swivel, and that means they're dragging in the unblown snow.

If you drop the skids to an appropriate height, you will get no marking or excessive scraping from the rest of the blower housing. Plastic skid shoes will keep the skids themselves from marking up the driveway. Skid shoes should also be pretty inexpensive and easy to install / replace.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think the wheels would be prone to clogging with snow and then not turning / swiveling correctly. Plus, you have the possible issue of having to mount them "outboard enough" so that they could swivel, and that means they're dragging in the unblown snow.

If you drop the skids to an appropriate height, you will get no marking or excessive scraping from the rest of the blower housing. Plastic skid shoes will keep the skids themselves from marking up the driveway. Skid shoes should also be pretty inexpensive and easy to install / replace.
I just bought a used 3720 and it came with a SB 1164 snow blower. It came with skid shoes so I will give those a try when it snows. I have a 6 foot rear mount snow blower for sale.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I just bought a used 3720 and it came with a SB 1164 snow blower. It came with skid shoes so I will give those a try when it snows. I have a 6 foot rear mount snow blower for sale.
I would personally be interested in your feedback on how they work. I'll likely be resurfacing my driveway next year, and will be curious as to how to keep from scraping the daylights out of it afterward.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would personally be interested in your feedback on how they work. I'll likely be resurfacing my driveway next year, and will be curious as to how to keep from scraping the daylights out of it afterward.
Will Do. We just need some snow. I would like to come up with something like a set of sliders on a snowmobile that slide over the stock skids.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Will Do. We just need some snow. I would like to come up with something like a set of sliders on a snowmobile that slide over the stock skids.
You mean like ski skins? Isn't that what the skid covers are basically? Or are you thinking more like the track slides that fit over the rails?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean like ski skins? Isn't that what the skid covers are basically? Or are you thinking more like the track slides that fit over the rails?
Something plastic I think would be better for the driveway.But only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Something plastic I think would be better for the driveway.But only time will tell.
I'm wondering if I misunderstood what it is that you have now...

There are plastic "covers" that you can get to go over the skids on the bottom of the snowblower. You adjust the skids to where they should be, raise them just slightly to account for the plastic cover, then snap the cover on. When it's all assemebled, you have plastic touching the ground and not metal. Is that what you have on the machine at this point, or do you have just the metal skids themselves?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm wondering if I misunderstood what it is that you have now...

There are plastic "covers" that you can get to go over the skids on the bottom of the snowblower. You adjust the skids to where they should be, raise them just slightly to account for the plastic cover, then snap the cover on. When it's all assemebled, you have plastic touching the ground and not metal. Is that what you have on the machine at this point, or do you have just the metal skids themselves?
Just the metal ones.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Just the metal ones.
Ah... ok... I thought you had the covers.

How about something like this? Raftery Design 1250 - Roller Skid Snow Thrower Skid Shoe (Pair)

Or, what about getting some old track slides (or even getting that hard plastic stuff that they make furniture slides out of) and attaching it to the bottom of the skid? If you drill a hole through it and the shoe, then drill a countersink hole into the slide material, you could bolt them on at the bolt heads wouldn't drag on the ground until the plastic was worn.

Something like this maybe: NEW! Snowblower Plastic non marking Skid Shoe for john deere M124413 M144012 | eBay

Or these: Robalon - Salt, Age and Wear Resistant Skid Shoes and Scraper Bars - SEPW.com

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah... ok... I thought you had the covers.

How about something like this? Raftery Design 1250 - Roller Skid Snow Thrower Skid Shoe (Pair)

Or, what about getting some old track slides (or even getting that hard plastic stuff that they make furniture slides out of) and attaching it to the bottom of the skid? If you drill a hole through it and the shoe, then drill a countersink hole into the slide material, you could bolt them on at the bolt heads wouldn't drag on the ground until the plastic was worn.

Something like this maybe: NEW! Snowblower Plastic non marking Skid Shoe for john deere M124413 M144012 | eBay

Or these: Robalon - Salt, Age and Wear Resistant Skid Shoes and Scraper Bars - SEPW.com
I'll figure something out. The blower is over 500 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.