Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1023E. I have an I match and an attachment for a 2" ball. I have an arena drag that is rather heavy. The drag has a handle that should raise it onto its wheels so it can be transported. But when I try to raise it , the 3 point hitch goes up by itself. I am assuming the drag is too heavy, though it is made for small tractors and ATV. Any ideal on how to keep the hitch from moving?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A couple ideas....

Are you putting the 3pt adjustment lever (or is it moving) all the way back down after you “set” it to the height you want?

Have you tried adjusting the rate of trip lever for the 3 pt to a point where it will hold the 3pt at the level you wanted?

Does it drop with other items on it? Perhaps your 3pt is internally bypassing and needs to be serviced?

Reactions: Levi

·
Administrator
18,346 Posts
As you are finding out, there is no down pressure on the 3PH, so you can try to add weight to it-or run a chain from where the top link connects down to the hitch plate (the one under the PTO with the hole in it).

:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Any ideal on how to keep the hitch from moving?
Consider a similar technique as the King Kutter folks on their 3pt trailer mover. On the tractor side of the hitch, the black chain and bracket are designed to be bolted to the tractor hitch plate. A small clevis in the hitch and a short piece of chain attached to your hitch would keep you rolling. I'm sure you can find the right place to attach it or weld a small tab on the tractor side like in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple ideas....

Are you putting the 3pt adjustment lever (or is it moving) all the way back down after you “set” it to the height you want?

Have you tried adjusting the rate of trip lever for the 3 pt to a point where it will hold the 3pt at the level you wanted?

Does it drop with other items on it? Perhaps your 3pt is internally bypassing and needs to be serviced?
I have had lighter things on it and it worked fine. No matter where I set the 3PH it will raise with adjustment of the arena drag. I think the poster below you is correct, there is no downward weight. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts
I have had lighter things on it and it worked fine. No matter where I set the 3PH it will raise with adjustment of the arena drag. I think the poster below you is correct, there is no downward weight. Thanks
The problem is not the weight of an implement, when you set the wheels for transport it shift the center of gravity taking the weight off the hitch.
Heavy Hitch sells a weight bracket with a receiver that would solve your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
The problem is not the weight of an implement, when you set the wheels for transport it shift the center of gravity taking the weight off the hitch.
Heavy Hitch sells a weight bracket with a receiver that would solve your problem.

The advantage of weight bearing hitch is you still have the lift range of your 3pt. The chain method I posted above limits your hitch travel for implement use, but when the time comes that you want/need to lift higher, you can't until you detach the chain. It's not difficult, but something to keep in mind.

Nice to have options.

Reactions: pachilly and PJR832

·
Registered
610 Posts
Like others have said, you need to weight your hitch. Weld a piece of flat bar across the hitch you have on the side facing the iMatch and hang suitcase weights on it until your problem goes away. Make sure before you weld you don't block your ability to hook it up.
:bigbeer:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Or, just forget about using the hitch ball on your imatch.

Go to Heavy Hitch and spend $99 on their rear receiver hitch plate. It's an, easy, direct bolt-on.

hh.jpg

https://heavyhitch.com/product/rear-2-inch-receiver-hitch-plate-john-deere-1000-series-tractors/

I use mine for my chain harrow, arena drag, and my manure spreader. Here's a picture taken today with the manure spreader on the Heavy Hitch receiver.

manure.jpg

Also, it will make for a shorter total package, and you'll be better able to manuever to drag closer to the corners. I drag a dressage arena with a low 12 inch wall, so I can drag it with the FEL and bucket still on; just raise them enough to clear the wall.

·
Premium Member
13,677 Posts

Go to Heavy Hitch and spend $99 on their rear receiver hitch plate. It's an, easy, direct bolt-on.

View attachment 646854

https://heavyhitch.com/product/rear-2-inch-receiver-hitch-plate-john-deere-1000-series-tractors/

I use mine for my chain harrow, arena drag, and my manure spreader. Here's a picture taken today with the manure spreader on the Heavy Hitch receiver.

Also, it will make for a shorter total package, and you'll be better able to manuever to drag closer to the corners. I drag a dressage arena with a low 12 inch wall, so I can drag it with the FEL and bucket still on; just raise them enough to clear the wall.
Good point doc, that’s what I have always used for our chain harrows, and if you need it farther back by an XL draw bar, I believe that was even an option when I bought mine from HH.

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts

This is good advice, especially for a 1-series since it has a hitch plate similar to a garden tractor instead of a built-in draw bar. From the factory it is almost useless due to being so close to the rear of the tractor.

Unfortunately a lot of larger tractors suffer from a similar issue even though they have a drawbar built in. With no hitch plate there is no place to install a receiver hitch so you are forced to use a tow adapter attached to the 3PH.

I couldn't even tow my 17P cart with my 2720 due to it hitting the tires when making a turn. You need something with a very long tongue to be able to use the built-in draw bar on most of these tractors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

View attachment 646854

View attachment 646856

I wish I would of known this . I just bought the I match hitch, the receiver plate would be a better option.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I wish I would of known this . I just bought the I match hitch, the receiver plate would be a better option.
That's why GTT is such a great place. Like you, I started with the hitch ball receiver on the imatch. I only learned about the Heavy Hitch receiver plate here, and now I have both. As you can see from the picture of my tractor, you can have and use both.

In my case, I also have an arena groomer that is 3 point mounted. The imatch is the only way to go for that. There are other thing from Heavy Hitch that you may find helpful.. A trash bin carrier for the setup you already have is one . It's about $49, and you'll never have to struggle pushing a full trash bin again.

Hjpg.jpg

Keep coming back to GTT and you will discover all sorts of must-have items. You do have bucket hooks already, right?
:gizmo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why GTT is such a great place. Like you, I started with the hitch ball receiver on the imatch. I only learned about the Heavy Hitch receiver plate here, and now I have both. As you can see from the picture of my tractor, you can have and use both.

In my case, I also have an arena groomer that is 3 point mounted. The imatch is the only way to go for that. There are other thing from Heavy Hitch that you may find helpful.. A trash bin carrier for the setup you already have is one . It's about $49, and you'll never have to struggle pushing a full trash bin again.

View attachment 646960

Keep coming back to GTT and you will discover all sorts of must-have items. You do have bucket hooks already, right?
:gizmo:
The 3PH on the arena drag does not match my I match. Trust me I struggled with it for hours. I know I should of come here 1st with my issue, lots of good advice. Lesson learned!! and yes I do have bucket hooks :)

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Use a hitch extension

With the Heavy Hitch 2" receiver on the back of the tractor, you can use a hitch extension (I got an 18" extension) to get you past the I-match.

hitchext18.JPG

You can see it on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
12,804 Posts
With the Heavy Hitch 2" receiver on the back of the tractor, you can use a hitch extension (I got an 18" extension) to get you past the I-match.

You can see it on Amazon.
You can also get draw bars that have a longer shank. Unless you need to extend really far out the back, these should be long enough.

Just be aware that if you have a lot of tongue weight you need to be careful with these extenders as they will multiply the downward force applied to the back of your tractor.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts