Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 3 point hitch chipper for my 2320. I would like a new one. Any suggestions on make and size would be appreciated.
Ralph, (from New Hampshire)

·
Administrator
18,483 Posts
Some brands names I've heard of:

Woods
Salsco
DR
Goossen
Oxxn
Wallenstein
Frontier
Woodmaxx

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got the Wallenstien BX42 and love it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have tried to study chippers, chipper/shredders also....
Of the info I have looked at on this type implement, it seems PTO horse power available is a major factor in comparing models by different manufacturers....
Then in my case, wallet being a close second in the mix of data to study, it can be a tough decision to make....

However..... One thing I have found that in the horse power range I have to work with and wallet friendly models available is that the two models I have looked closely at are combo chipper/shredder units.... Maybe not a lot of other bells and whistles available at that level of the food chain, but shredder capability will be a useful tool to me....

Coincidentally....... The two models I'm considering the most compatible with my equipment and needs so far are Mc Kissic and Value Leader..... Used units are extremely rare in this area. Even E-bay and such don't seem to help, so that is why I am mostly looking at a new unit.....

Now there will be have had both good and bad experience with things.... The old Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument thing......

Be sure to post your purchase and use review....
Good luck

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a Salsco and it is a very well made chipper. Wallensteins are well thought of as well.
Identify your need in capability and function, match it with your tractor and wallet. Sounds simple but it is not.
Buy as big and capable as you think you might ever need. You won't regret it. Rarely does one wish to have gotten a smaller unit or one that is less capable.

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I'm looking for a 3 point hitch chipper for my 2320. I would like a new one. Any suggestions on make and size would be appreciated.
Ralph, (from New Hampshire)
I don't currently own a chipper or chipper/shredder, but I've been doing some research into them as it will be an attachment that I will need when I get a tractor. I was looking at the Wallenstein BXM32 chipper/shredder. It will take a maximum of 3" through the chipper and 1" through the shredder. The tractors I am considering have 18 PTO horsepower and I was wondering if that was enough to get the max chipper capacity on the BXM32. I contacted Woodward Crossing and was told that the Wallenstein trailer model that has the same chipper and shredder capacity as the BXM32, has a 9HP Honda engine on it, so 18 PTO horsepower would be more than enough on a BXM32. Just what I was told, have not been able to get a response direct from Wallenstein to the same question.

I do know that there are GTT members that have Wallenstein chippers and chipper/shredders on the back of 1026/1025R tractors.

Good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I'm going to look into the brands you guys have mentioned. Also has anyone herd of Betst Products. They have a chipper on there web site( www value-leader.com) that looks good. I'll let you know what I end up buying.
Ralph ( from New Hampshire)

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't know all that much about chippers, but my advice is that when comparing models look at the weight of the flywheel. The heavier the flywheel the better it will be for a lower horsepower tractor when it goes through some knots in the limbs.

Just my $0.02. Good luck and let us know what you get. Video of it working would be nice as I am wondering if a chipper would be worth the investment or if I should just burn cedars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
A few years back I purchased a Jinma chipper made in China. I purchased extra blades and belts but have never needed them. It has self feed and chips up to six inch Dia. It did take a little modification to work with my Quick Hitch but all in all it works as advertised.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
A few years back I purchased a Jinma chipper made in China. I purchased extra blades and belts but have never needed them. It has self feed and chips up to six inch Dia. It did take a little modification to work with my Quick Hitch but all in all it works as advertised.
====
This is one of very few reviews of the Jinma chipper I have seen....
It seems what little user info I have run across on them has been at best neutral.....

Actually, for the price I'm glad to hear it has worked well....

Most of the negative reviews of this chipper have seemed to be from loose bolts, no grease, and less than quality assembly....
Glad to hear you have had a good experience....

Good luck...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Wallenstein BX42 and it amazes me almost every time I use it. One thing that I think is key about the BX42 is that the opening is 4x10 so you can fit crotches through the opening. The chipper would be very frustrating if the opening was 4x4 and I had to hand trim everything into a stick.

Jeremy

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeremy, I've looked at the Wallenstein BX 42 to use on my 2320. I like the large feed opening too. Does it self feed well? Also is my 2320 a good fit for it? I have also looked at the Woodmaxx chipper does anyone have any thoughts on it?
Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jeremy, I've looked at the Wallenstein BX 42 to use on my 2320. I like the large feed opening too. Does it self feed well? Also is my 2320 a good fit for it? I have also looked at the Woodmaxx chipper does anyone have any thoughts on it?
Thanks, Ralph
I have a BXM42 on my 2032R and it handles the size of it fine. You would probably want the loader on or some front weights depending on where you are going with it. I have more pto hp but the only think that boggs mine down a little is when I put a little too much in the shredder.

2013-11-26 17.21.32e.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ralph

The 2320 should be a great fit, it is the exact size tractor the BX42 was designed for. On my 2520 it will eat just about anything I put through it. I think I have stalled it twice and both times it was at a crotch that was probably 4x6+ inches. That is the only downside to the bigger opening is it you can twist in some very large pieces of wood.

It self feeds great as long as you keep the blades sharp and more importantly the anvil adjusted. Personally I don't use it enough to justify the cost, maintenance and storage of a hydraulic feed.

Just the other day i dropped a 24" round oak and all I have left id firewood and woodchip. I can't complain.

JP

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
150 Posts
====
This is one of very few reviews of the Jinma chipper I have seen....
It seems what little user info I have run across on them has been at best neutral.....

Actually, for the price I'm glad to hear it has worked well....

Most of the negative reviews of this chipper have seemed to be from loose bolts, no grease, and less than quality assembly....
Glad to hear you have had a good experience....

Good luck...
I would suggest you always check any new equipment for Lube, adjustments etc. My 1026R was delivered with two broken bolts, one missing bolt, a loader stand that pushed the mower deck away from the tractor during mounting and a bucket drop problem that took a year and a half to fix. Based on that the chipper was great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ralph

The 2320 should be a great fit, it is the exact size tractor the BX42 was designed for. On my 2520 it will eat just about anything I put through it. I think I have stalled it twice and both times it was at a crotch that was probably 4x6+ inches. That is the only downside to the bigger opening is it you can twist in some very large pieces of wood.

It self feeds great as long as you keep the blades sharp and more importantly the anvil adjusted. Personally I don't use it enough to justify the cost, maintenance and storage of a hydraulic feed.

Just the other day i dropped a 24" round oak and all I have left id firewood and woodchip. I can't complain.

JP
I'm going to buy either the Wallenstein BX 42 or the Woodmaxx TM - 86-H. The Woodmaxx is a new model. You can see it on there web site. It's just the right size for the 2320. I would like your thoughts on it.
Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That new model Woodmax looks real interesting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ralph-

Sorry for the slow reply... The holidays and 2 kids have been keeping me busy.

That new Woodmax looks pretty impressive. It was not around when I got mine but I would have maybe went in that direction. The only negative I see with the Woodmax if the feed chute height and angle. I shove 20ft+ long limbs into mine and sometimes struggle getting them into the fairly shallow and low chute on the wallenstien. I don't know that I would be able to get them in the Woodmax.

My only other 2 cents is that the Wallenstien is proven to be a solid well performing unit. The woodmax is new and will be a little but of an unknown.

JP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ralph-

Sorry for the slow reply... The holidays and 2 kids have been keeping me busy.

That new Woodmax looks pretty impressive. It was not around when I got mine but I would have maybe went in that direction. The only negative I see with the Woodmax if the feed chute height and angle. I shove 20ft+ long limbs into mine and sometimes struggle getting them into the fairly shallow and low chute on the wallenstien. I don't know that I would be able to get them in the Woodmax.

My only other 2 cents is that the Wallenstien is proven to be a solid well performing unit. The woodmax is new and will be a little but of an unknown.

JP
The fact that the Woodmaxx is so new could be an issue. I have thought that too. I am 68 years old so I won't be shoving 20ft long limbs into it. I will cut them at least in half. But I see your point. I have talked to the people at Woodmaxx and there seems to be a lot of thought that went into the TM-86H chipper. But like you stated the Wallenstein is a well proven machine. I am going to buy in the next few weeks. Would like to see some reviews on the Woodmax before I do though. Thanks for your input Jeremy It has been helpful.
Ralph

1 - 20 of 41 Posts