Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking with a neighboring farmer, and helping him out, as he's getting up there in age, he extended his thanks by offering me access to use some of his "smaller" attachments. The problem is, that his smallest tractor is a JD 5420 with a CAT 2, and my JD 4044M is CAT 1. The implements I would be using from him are not requiring much HP, mainly a 5 ft rough mower, a two row planter, and possibly a 7 ft cultivator, but they are all in Cat 2 configurations.

I really don't want to pass up the offer, but there are risks and complications with switching 3 pt categories on implements. I am trying to make this "easy", but there might not be an "easy" for this.

Anyone have the most efficient way to quickly interchange my current CAT 1 setup with CAT 2? Like perhaps an adapter of some sort. I don't want to mess with any of his configurations, as I would like to just hook up and go, but I am somewhat stuck in CAT 1 on the tractor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Pins vs. clevis

If the equipment has pins sticking out you are pretty much stuck with having something in between your tractor and the equipment with Cat 1 on the tractor side and Cat 2 on the equipment side. I don't know but would bet somewhere somebody makes a quick hitch type attachment. You can also just swap out the pins on the implement but the distance between the pins may be too wide for your tractor. Cat 2 spacing is several inches wider than Cat 1. If you have to swap pins much, an impact wrench is your friend. Those pins need to be torqued down tight so they don't come loose.

If the equipment has clevis type mounts where a pin goes through two tabs, those frequently have both Cat 1 & 2 settings. I have a rear blade like that. The only thing I have to do with that is use bushings on the top link pin.

For anything with a pto shaft, like the mower you will need to check the shaft length. It may be too long for your tractor and could bind. If you use a quick hitch converter, you need to make sure that doesn't move the equipment too far back for the existing pto shaft to safely extend.

It's easy to go the other way with Cat 1 implements on a Cat 2 tractor but you can accomplish what you need to do with a little more work.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
9,180 Posts
Maybe something like this? Cat 1 pin on the inside, Cat 2 on the outside.

LOWER-LINK-IMPLEMENT-PIN-CAT-1-2-7-8-x.jpg

Nice of your neighbor to offer.

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts

That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.

Some tractors used to come with dual-hole balls on the lift arms. You rotated the ball one way to expose a Cat-1 hole and the other way to expose a Cat-2 hole. I did a few Google searches and wasn't able to find anything. Perhaps someone knows of a source.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, this is going to prove difficult and likely no easy button, besides buying a new tractor, lol. I can just imagine broaching the idea of a new tractor purchase with the wife, lol - not yet, anyway. I need to go measure his implements/tractor and compare it to mine and kick some stones. If there was such a bracket or conversion piece, it definitely would extend the implement out, increasing risk. Perhaps not a big deal for the planter, but I wouldn't want that for the cultivator nor anything PTO driven, as mentioned by TreeFarmer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Harbor freight quick hitch has cat 2 slots and will mount on a cat 1 tractor. It only moves things back a small amount. Search YouTube. Someone was trying one on a 1025R and it fit fine but his complaint was the cat2 slots in it would mean changing all his pins on his equipment. They are under a hundred bucks. So while normally useless like many Harbor Freight items they may be just what you want.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
The only "easy" way to do this that I cna think of would be to get a Cat 2 QuickHicth and weld up a Cat 1 mount for it and then hang it off of your 3pt setup.

You can mess with pins and bushings all day long but Cat 2 spacing between those pins isn't the same as Cat 1.

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
You can mess with pins and bushings all day long but Cat 2 spacing between those pins isn't the same as Cat 1.
100% correct, While the QH's do use CAT3 sized bushings, the spacing is still CAT1.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts

View attachment 686016

That would work but these implements belong to his neighbor. So I doubt either of them wants to take the pins off and reverse them every time they want to use an implement.
That would work IF:
1. The implement has a single plate that the pin goes through so the Cat 2 could be on the outside and Cat 1 on the inside

2. The width difference works with just the "flip of the pin". Also have to keep in mind top link height/spacing if using a quick hitch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@JimR - that's what I was thinking

I will attempt to take some photos and measurements tomorrow when I head over there again. That way we can we can talk apples/apples.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the lower 3 point arms on your tractor will spread wide enough to reach the cat 2 quick hitch it would only require appropriate bushings from your tractor to quick hitch.

Problem number 2 will be if his implements are quick hitch compatible.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a friend who loans me a brush hog and had a similar dilemma. This mower was not quick hitch compatible, and the pins were all Cat 2. I bought a set of new lift arm pins in both Cat 1 and Cat 2 (his were rusty) and I take my cordless impact over when I need to borrow it. Less than a minute I can swap the pins, and use the mower. I switch it back when I'm done. The bigger issue was the top link, because I didn't want to put a smaller pin in his linkage and wallow out the hole on the implement. I hemmed and hawed, then I realized I could buy a cheap Cat 2 top link for far less than any other solution I could think of. I did have to grind a little off of the side that hooks to my 4052R and use a bushing, but no big deal.

I figured as long as all the extra work was on my end, I'm okay with that since he's loaning me the equipment for nothing twice a year. Saves me a bunch of time in the long run and only has me out about $50.

·
Premium Member
9,180 Posts

Some tractors used to come with dual-hole balls on the lift arms. You rotated the ball one way to expose a Cat-1 hole and the other way to expose a Cat-2 hole. I did a few Google searches and wasn't able to find anything. Perhaps someone knows of a source.
I was thinking that since the Cat 2 stuff is usually wider, the Cat 1 pin on the inside would would with the OP's tractor and there would still be a Cat 2 pin on the outside for the owners tractor.

That would work IF:
1. The implement has a single plate that the pin goes through so the Cat 2 could be on the outside and Cat 1 on the inside

2. The width difference works with just the "flip of the pin". Also have to keep in mind top link height/spacing if using a quick hitch.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Top pin to lift arm pin distance is the same vertically between the cat 1 and 2 quick hitch, it's the width of the lower pins that changes. A couple of companies have made quick hitches that were adjustable between cat 1 and 2, but they were rare to find and expensive.

·
Premium Member
12,239 Posts
Top pin to lift arm pin distance is the same vertically between the cat 1 and 2 quick hitch, it's the width of the lower pins that changes. A couple of companies have made quick hitches that were adjustable between cat 1 and 2, but they were rare to find and expensive.
Some very large JD tractors have a quick hitch that can be switched from narrow to wide. I suspect this is simply changing the width as these tractor are way too large for a Cat-1 implement. below is a video showing the changeover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOjvCgIEFM

·
Registered
607 Posts
Some very large JD tractors have a quick hitch that can be switched from narrow to wide. I suspect this is simply changing the width as these tractor are way too large for a Cat-1 implement. below is a video showing the changeover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOjvCgIEFM
Yes, I think I've shared that video here before. That's a Cat 3 hitch. I'll look to to see if I can find one of the ones I'm talking about.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went over to the neighboring farm and checked out the mower. I may have lucked out. It appears to be Cat 1 pins, with bushings over them, however I have to check the top link. If weather cooperates, I plan on driving my 4044M over this weekend and attempting to mock hook it up. A similar setup seems to be on the 2-row planter. Problem is the planter and cultivator are buried in the machine shed, so won't be used, unless I can get access to them. Maybe that was the joke. "Sure you can use my equipment! Good luck getting it out of my completely packed machine shed though! Ha Ha" Nonetheless, the mower will help. It's been recently "serviced" with new blades installed.

Photo of it below.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Might only be one swap

If those mount to a flat plate, it might only take installing those once since Cat 2 hitches are wider than Cat 1. Have the 2 side pointed out and the 1 side pointed in and it might work. I hadn't seen those pins but I think they are worth a hard look and maybe a test fit.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
763 Posts
If those mount to a flat plate, it might only take installing those once since Cat 2 hitches are wider than Cat 1. Have the 2 side pointed out and the 1 side pointed in and it might work. I hadn't seen those pins but I think they are worth a hard look and maybe a test fit.

Treefarmer
That's exactly how they work. The implement has to be (like mentioned), a Cat2 specific implement with a "single plate" lower pin mount.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts