Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to dig a trench for drainage pipe about 150’ long. I wanted to make a sod cutter to go on the 3 point and cut a 10” wide swatch and flip the grass over. Dig the trench and lay pipe backfill then lay the grass back on top.
Million dollar question is will my 2025 pull it. I know a lot has to do with the soil. It’s mostly clay. This is kinda what I had in mind
Triangle Font Rectangle Parallel Schematic

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
It's all gonna depend on how deep you plan on going. If you can stay in the roots you can probably make something the 2025R can pull through. I suspect that if you try to go much below 4" you'll start running into problems.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. Thinking only 2” of dirt

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I know we're all conditioned to do stuff with our tractors.... and I figure that you probably like building things, but.... I just checked my locally owned tool rental place and you can rent an 18" wide, powered sod cutter for $40 for 4 hours or $80 for 24 hours. I've used one of those before and if you're just cutting a straight line 150' long, you would be able to do that in less than 4 hours.

Keep in mind that you're going to need a "cross cut" every 5-10 feet. You'll need to do this whether your rent a cutter or buy your own. I think you're in for a real battle if you try to flip a single 150' long piece of sod. Sod ain't light!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Well if you've got it laying around in scrap, no worries then! Personally I don't think you'll have a problem pulling it, at only 10" wide, unless you hit an immovable object, a 45 degree edge on all of the steel that's doing the cutting should concentrate enough force that I would expect it to pull through sod fairly easily.

·
Registered
2038r
391 Posts
Please post some photos of your finished project. I’m personally in the rental camp, I just rented one last weekend to cut for tree installation. I cut 2” and seemed to get all the roots. I would suggest having some moisture in the ground, and maybe a gauge wheel to help control the cut depth.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Please post some photos of your finished project. I’m personally in the rental camp, I just rented one last weekend to cut for tree installation. I cut 2” and seemed to get all the roots. I would suggest having some moisture in the ground, and maybe a gauge wheel to help control the cut depth.
Gauge wheel is a must!

# Let's Go Brandon

Reactions: dj2520

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Yes u can

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a 2520 which is similar. Yes it will pull it. But have cut sod before and that crap is heavy. Like previous poster mentioned cut every 5-10 feet. Unless u have superhuman strength 😂

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got it fabricated up today. Put on a quick coat of green. All I need to do is drill the hole for the receiver pin. Should get to try it tomorrow. Hope it’s not too wet
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

·
Registered
2015 1025R
150 Posts
Reactions: SRG and trav

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes and no. When I used it the ground was very wet in most spots and just tore up the sod. The dryer areas it worked good. If building again I would make a few design changes. First I angled the bottom cutter and ground the bevel for the cutting edge on the inside or top side. This really forces the sod up into the depth roller and jams it up a little but much less where dry. Also I would grind the side cutting edges with the bevel on the outside again so it doesn't force the sod to the inside and jam it up.

I need to use it again at some point this summer to put in another 150' of drainage pipe and I think I will regrind those cutting edges with the bevel on the outside. The steel is only 1/4" but that little bit make a difference. I also will redrill the holes for the roller and move it as far forward as I can so I won't jam up the sod. If I can find a pic of of it after I cut it I will post it. Again you need to check the dirt and make sure it's not too wet. It rained the night before but had to get the job done
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Hedge

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 16 of 16 Posts