Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience using a 3 point sprayer with the bucket removed, mounted to a 3 point quick hitch in front on a fork frame for easier viewing of where you are spraying the chemicals? What are the negatives, is this a bad option?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anyone have experience using a 3 point sprayer with the bucket removed, mounted to a 3 point quick hitch in front on a fork frame for easier viewing of where you are spraying the chemicals? What are the negatives, is this a bad option?
Depends what you’re spraying. I spray chemicals for a living and when riding equipment you always spray behind you. You can’t drive over sprayed fertilizer because the weight of the machine will burn the turf. You also have to be careful if you run over chemicals and then drive somewhere you don’t want the chemicals to go.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
I have no idea what the pros/cons of having the spray boom up front would be but your description seems like a convoluted way to get it down. I'm not sure why you'd want the whole setup hanging out front. The booms on those things are usually connected to the pump via a hose/tube. Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to mount the boom up front and run a longer hose to the tank/pump out back?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no idea what the pros/cons of having the spray boom up front would be but your description seems like a convoluted way to get it down. I'm not sure why you'd want the whole setup hanging out front. The booms on those things are usually connected to the pump via a hose/tube. Wouldn't it be easier to just find a way to mount the boom up front and run a longer hose to the tank/pump out back?
I don't know, that's why I was asking, my thinking was to spray a fence line and edging around trees that have about a 10 foot diameter landscaped with crushed rock to eliminate the creeping grass/weeds into the area. I could see the end of the boom on the end of one side, rather than constantly looking backwards (neck wrenching)? I didn't think of an extension from the rear to the front? I never used a 3 point sprayer, only a 25 gal towed from behind with a wand on an open station I no longer own. I would be Spraying three acres of fence line, numerous landscaped trees edges, and a rather long driveway on both sides.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Good answer

Depends what you’re spraying. I spray chemicals for a living and when riding equipment you always spray behind you. You can’t drive over sprayed fertilizer because the weight of the machine will burn the turf. You also have to be careful if you run over chemicals and then drive somewhere you don’t want the chemicals to go.
Good points there. Even the very high dollar spray rigs used in ag have the booms behind the operator, and those have extreme filtration for the cab. I have seen wick bars mounted on a FEL because it's easier to control the height but those don't put droplets in the air. There is still the issue of the tires taking product where you don't want it to go, plus in tall material you are effectively coating the underside of your tractor with the spray material.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Unless you only plan on spraying water, I wouldn't want to breathe the chemicals.

Not sure if it is fully proven but I wouldn't risk it...

Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Roundup Lawyer | ELG Law

We had this discussion a week or two ago when someone mounted a sprayer to the front of their ZTrak. It would be fine to mount it there and drive around backwards I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not a pro, just a home owner........

All good points, I do have a cab, so I wasn't worried about mist. If I've been reading correctly, can't you turn some nozzles off while spraying? I wanted the end nozzle (on one boom) to apply the weed/grass killer turning the pump off/on as needed - I realize they'll be drippage. I'll investigate the boom attachment, or keep looking to the rear?
So, I'm gathering, it's not a good idea for the sprayer unit to be in the front, I'll go with the crowd, that's what I was trying to determine! Guess I was over, or under thinking!
Thanks everyone for their input:bigthumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points there. Even the very high dollar spray rigs used in ag have the booms behind the operator, and those have extreme filtration for the cab. I have seen wick bars mounted on a FEL because it's easier to control the height but those don't put droplets in the air. There is still the issue of the tires taking product where you don't want it to go, plus in tall material you are effectively coating the underside of your tractor with the spray material.

Treefarmer
I had to research wick bar, that sounds like a great idea for bahia grass that grows very tall in my yard, I don't have to mow as often when the bahia grass is eliminated by mid summer. Thanks.........

·
Registered
937 Posts
I had to research wick bar, that sounds like a great idea for bahia grass that grows very tall in my yard, I don't have to mow as often when the bahia grass is eliminated by mid summer. Thanks.........
Yeah, we called it’s wiper. I would run that in our peanut fields wiping roundup on the careless weeds and Johnson grass. Worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts