Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a gently used 3 point wood chipper that uses 30-35 PTO HP max....

Self-feed or Hydraulic-Feed

Minimum 4" log opening..

No China-made please....

Thank you

Sincerely

·
Registered
459 Posts
Looking for a gently used 3 point wood chipper that uses 30-35 PTO HP max....

Self-feed or Hydraulic-Feed

Minimum 4" log opening..

No China-made please....

Thank you

Sincerely
I'm starting to think you're just trying to get the most equipment in your signature line ... :hide:

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
I'm starting to think you're just trying to get the most equipment in your signature line ... :hide:
:mocking: i was a thinking the same thing-but with all the trees he(op) took down this yr. i figured he had already burned his brush piles up by now.:dunno:

but-hey nothing wrong with lots of equipment to work-err-play with :lolol:

·
Administrator
17,128 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out Woodmax chippers at woodmaxx.com. Not used but reasonable and they ship for free to your door. Be sure to tell them if you have the I-Match on your tractor if you go that route. They will not ask.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the opportunity to buy a used Wallenstein BX60 in nice shape for $2K about an hour's drive away. Is the gravity feed too much effort? I have a lot of chipping to do...... Thoughts on these units?

Thanks

Sincerely

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Chipper

I have the opportunity to buy a used Wallenstein BX60 in nice shape for $2K about an hour's drive away. Is the gravity feed too much effort? I have a lot of chipping to do...... Thoughts on these units?

Thanks

Sincerely
If all you have is one big job, I'd probably consider renting a commercial unit. Buying makes sense if you are going to have a continual need but for a one time use, even a big job renting might make more sense.

The Wallenstein looks like a nice unit but compared to the commercial ones, I'm pretty sure it has some limitations. I've only used a commercial unit a few times but they were toss and forget. If you started a limb into the feeder you could turn around and go for the next one. For really big jobs, the whole tree chippers are awesome. Feed them with an excavator or log loader and fill up a full size trailer in about 30-40 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fbCI0zFsw8

They do suck fuel though. When one was running on my place a fuel truck came every day. By the time the skidder, debarker/loader, tree harvester and chipper were refueled, the truck was a lot lighter. The chipper in particular liked fuel but it ran flat out with something like a 7-800 hp diesel engine. Insert lots of trees and lots of fuel and you got lots of chips. The only time it shut down was when the chip trucks couldn't get back in time.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
21,210 Posts

Thanks

Sincerely
Could it be retrofitted with a hydraulic feed?

I really can’t comment as I have only run commercial chippers but I couldn’t image a manual feed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hydraulic feed isrecommended

i have a wallenstein bx42r on our 4310 / 3046r. works great. borrowed a bx52 gravity feed before buying the bx42r because of the limitations (fighting branches) with the gravity feed.

it will depend on how frequently you need it...

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I had a BearCat 5" chipper/ shredder. It was a great machine and did a good job. It was manual feed, but it would suck in material by itself. That was good and bad - good in that it took a lot of the effort out putting the material through the machine. Bad, though, as it would suck in material fast enough some times that it could stall the tractor.

I sold the BearCat and bought a WoodMaxx 9900. It's a G R E A T machine! Having the hydraulic feed lets me do 2-3x the amount of work without whipping my butt like the BearCat did. The bigger input chute (9") means I don't have to cut every branch off the stuff I put into the chipper like I did on the BearCat. I thought I might miss the "shredder" part of the Bearcat, but the WoodMaxx will cut up the small stuff as well as the shredder did.

My advice - get a chipper with self feeding. Many people have been happy with the WoodMaxx 8" Chinese made, hydraulic feed chipper. I opted for the 9" USA made chipper :usa for a variety of reasons, even though it was twice the price of the Chinese made machine. I haven't been sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts