Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3046R Cab
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been following the forums for a while anticipating getting a 3 series of my own. I just bought a 3046tR cab tractor and I'm finding securing it to the trailer to be a pain. The 2 times I've trailered it so far, I have used 3/8 G70 chain around the rear axles next to where the ROPS attaches. I know this is secure, but it takes 2 people to fish the chain in and out of there! I picked up some 36" axle straps and plan to use the straps next time I trailer it.

How are you guys doing it? The safety chain holes next to the drawbar seem way to thin for a 6,000 lb tractor.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
First off, the 3 series do not weigh that much. JD specs the 3046R cab at 4008 lbs. Add around 1000 lbs for the loader and you are up to around 5000 lbs. My 4066R and loader will weigh around 6000 lbs. I use those slots on the sides of the drawbar for tie down points. They are plenty strong enough. I use 4 inch straps with 3/8 inch end chains on each corner that have 5400# WLL. You are correct in using grade 70 chains as the more common grade 43 log chains will not meet DOT specs.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Not the same tractor, but I put a clevis on the drawbar and run my chain(s) to it.

·
Registered
2015 3046R Cab
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, the 3 series do not weigh that much. JD specs the 3046R cab at 4008 lbs. Add around 1000 lbs for the loader and you are up to around 5000 lbs. My 4066R and loader will weigh around 6000 lbs. I use those slots on the sides of the drawbar for tie down points. They are plenty strong enough. I use 4 inch straps with 3/8 inch end chains on each corner that have 5400# WLL. You are correct in using grade 70 chains as the more common grade 43 log chains will not meet DOT specs.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I will use the chain slots next time. Yes, mine does weigh 6000 lbs with the tractor, loaded tires, H165 loader with SSQA, Deere C66 skid steer bucket. I scaled before and after picking up the tractor.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Thanks Dave,

I will use the chain slots next time. Yes, mine does weigh 6000 lbs with the tractor, loaded tires, H165 loader with SSQA, Deere C66 skid steer bucket. I scaled before and after picking up the tractor.
I did not allow for loaded tires. That would make a big difference as would the skid steer bucket. I have the skid steer bucket but not loaded tires. Since I mow my yard with mine, I did not load my tires.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
22,404 Posts
I use the slots next to the drawbar, that’s what they are for.

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,771 Posts
Not the same tractor, but I put a clevis on the drawbar and run my chain(s) to it.
Does that allow you to do 2 points of tie down on the rear?

Safely securing any equipment on a trailer requires a minimum of a 4-point tie down (2 front, 2 rear).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like the idea of shackles thru the chain slots size of shackle for working load more of an issue. for front Mudds Customs has you covered: View attachment 801034
I bought a pair of these, they are awesome. Not a big fan of wrapping something around the axle.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts

Safely securing any equipment on a trailer requires a minimum of a 4-point tie down (2 front, 2 rear).
Chain from each side of the trailer to the clevis.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
I bought a pair of these, they are awesome. Not a big fan of wrapping something around the axle.
When my JD 6415 was delivered on a semi flat bed the trucker wrapped the front axle with chains and had the chains so tight the chain links left impressions in the paint. :mad: :mad: 🤬 Not how I would have done it.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,771 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3046R Cab
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. On my initial trip home (700 miles) with the tractor I wasn't sure about the chain slots, they seemed kind of thin compared to my chains, but then 3/8 G70 chain is way more than required to meet DOT standards. To play it safe, I went around the axles in the rear and over the front weight bracket / loader parking stand up front. My trailer has a bunch of stake pockets so I didn't have interference from the loader arms or bucket.

Pretty soon I'll be retiring my 345, well as soon as Deere builds me a deck for the 3046R!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

--Brian

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts
Weight of the load determines the number of "points" required.

For a 3 series, 2.

Short slow haul - clevis.

Long haul - I go to the slots.

Whatever is on the 3 point is also secured just behind the lift arms, which helps.

I may only be in violation if someone on the internet stops me.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
I also do that but the downside is if one of my rear chains fails, the clevis will swing and loosen the other chain. Still, that seems to be one of the better options.

I'm not worried about the clevis- it's could handle the tractor suspended in air and bounced a few times.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.