Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here so still learning forum etiquette.

I'm planning on buying either a 4430 or 4230 sometime soon, and I'm debating what to look for. I farm with my dad, and we've got a number of different models including a 4430 with a cab and a 4020 with rops and canopy. I love that 4020, and was wondering if a four poster cabin would be pretty similar? My plan is to be using this mostly as a summer time hay and loader tractor. I'm very comfortable with the canopy setup, but I've heard from a couple of people that the four posters are a lot warmer in the summer. I like being out in the air, and don't really want yet another air conditioner to keep working.

Just wondering if anyone here has operated both setups (four poster and canopy) and could give your thoughts on their differences and similarities.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
What type baler are you going to utilize? If rd baler do your lungs a big favor & choose a SGB(cab) model.
I don't remember the 4 post Roll-gard being any warmer for operator than the 2 post style. IIRC 4 post has less noise level than 2 post. IIRC not nearly as many tractors open station or RG were sold new as SGB models & are beginning to become to attain a "more collectible type" status. If one keeps condenser dirt/dust blown out regularly & cab filter changed I think JD SGB AC's aren't that difficult to maintain blowing cold air. My '91 JD 4255 with over 11,400 hrs of use will blow cold air & yes it's had compressor replaced

·
Registered
235 Posts
My old 4430 had the 4 post ROPS, I loved it. Cut, baled hay, plowed, planted, disked, drilled, dug and threshed peanuts with it, among a ton of other things. You will get dirty and you will learn the best way to avoid the dust and dirt.

You only get one set of lungs, fans will help keep the dust off you. I don't think that I would buy a SG cabbed version just because of the age of the AC system and the issues that revolve around that.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I can't imagine how much dust one would inhale threshing peanuts on an open station tractor!!!:p Yes I'm aware one can wear a breathing mask. Back in the late 80's I rd baled some hay that had been rained on utilizing a JD 4030 open station tractor wearing a face mask. I prefer tractor with AC.
Please explain the AC issues you're referring to on JD SGB. I served as a JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs & haven't experienced major AC problems. Main AC problems are caused from lack of maintenance by tractor owners

·
Registered
235 Posts
Simply that, the age of the system and the unknown nature of how it was maintained. Then there is the design of the system, R12 versus the 134a conversion. The SG cab was and will be the first successful and functional cabs and forced other manufacturers to step up their game. The 4430 was the best selling model of JD and that bled over to the other 30 series models of that time, bringing them along for the ride.

Don't get me wrong, I love AC and the fact that I can listen to tunes or talk radio. I just prefer the sound of tractor and whatever equipment I am using. I also prefer the fact that I don't have to worry about the maintenance that comes with a cabbed version.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'll bet that due to the cost & scarcity of R12 that most 30-55 series tractor AC systems have long ago been changed to 134A. I know my 4255 has had 134A in AC system for many yrs. I agree that SGB changed the agriculture industry concerning tractor cabs. I sold new JD 30 & 40 series tractors with SGB's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.