Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 790 and 300 loader are a bit weak on the breakout force so I looked at the difference between the 300 and 300x loaders. For breakout, it's just different bucket cylinders. Same closed length, same extended length, same ends but bigger bore diameter. Hmmm, go from essentially a 1.5" bore to just a fraction under a 2" bore and gain 33% breakout. My local JD parts guy was willing to work with me to confirm all that including that the two loaders have the same booms so the change should not over stress anything. "Great, I'm in. What do they cost?" He looked up the price. . . $800 each. That ain't happening for sure. Checked with another dealer and while better was still really high.

When I get a chance, I'll get the exact specs and see about other sources but it sure would be nice to have more breakout.

Treefarmer

Reactions: OxPath

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Reactions: OxPath

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressure

I’ve seen others upgrade the cylinders with aftermarket ones, but it does involve fabrication.

Here is a good post on TBN, with some YouTube videos if they are still posted.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/186398-upgrading-john-deere-loader-cylinders.html

Have you already bumped up the pressure on your 790? That’s a common and inexpensive mod.
I've got the pressure at the top end of the specs. I might go a little higher but I'm not comfortable going too far out of specification. I'm pretty conservative on taking things out of specification although I know lots of people do it without a problem. Overall lift capacity is ok for this size tractor and I'm not sure I want to add lift capacity because I would probably use it, maybe to excess so my thought is to simply upgrade the bucket cylinders since JD has already figured the increase breakout is ok for the booms.

I probably won't do any fabrication, at least not on the loader side. I may be able to find some drop in cylinders or at most change out the ram end to the correct fitting.

Thanks.

Treefarmer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts