Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a tractor for cleaning up my property. It’s 5 acres that was previously flooded by beavers (so Canadian I know!) and I’ve got hundreds of stumps to clear and roads to build. Hence why I’m looking at getting a tractor and wondering if a 3010 would be a good fit. The one I’m looking at is not a show piece but in good running condition. Are most parts still available for a JD that old? We’re they a good tractor? Any major issues I should check for when looking at it? I realize it’s a 50+ yr old machine I’m looking at.... any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Welcome to GTT
I think a JD 3010 rowcrop tractor can perform your required tasks satisfactory. One of 3010/4010 weaknesses is the tiny pto speed change (540/1000 rpm)pins that can bend/break then require a tractor split to repair. Check for correct operation of pto & hyds at operating temp of oil.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think you need a bulldozer and a excavator.
What I was thinking. I have a 4010 am not sure how I would use it for tasks you mention other than a back blade maybe to level off and spread gravel. Very reliable tractors though, to answer you question as long as it was taken care of. Pto as Tx Jim mentioned is common. I had to split mine for the pin that holds the shift collar for the 540-1000 pto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old eyes must have failed to comprehend about the ""100's of stumps""" that need removed. Ditto on needing excavator/bulldozer.
The stumps I’m talking about are small poplars that I have been ripping out by hand but that’s getting labour intensive. This is just a hobby property for me right now. Backhoe and dozer would be awesome but not in the cards unless I hit the Lotto... and I don’t even buy tickets :p.

Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts