Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 1963 John Deere 3010 had no power to the rockshaft or the remotes. I changed the priority valve and I now have plenty of power to both. However, when I lower the rockshaft and in the lowered position the there is a lot of hydraulic chatter. When the rockshaft is in the raised position the chatter stops. Any idea what's causing the chatter?

The old priority valve was a R31624R valve. When I opened it up it had one very light spring possible 2 lbs of pressure could collapse it. In the parts manual the closest Valve that matches the one in the tractor is AR51732. It has two springs and two smaller control valves plus a shaft. According to the shop manual the springs are about 2 lbs and 50 lbs to compress.

I installed a used R40559 and the hydraulics work great, but the rock shaft, when lowered, I hear a lot of chatter – not sure where it’s coming from. Sometimes it sound like under the dash cowl and other times it sounds from the rockshaft area.

I attached photos of the old valve removes with the internal control valve and spring. And a photo of the used valve that works but produces the chatter.

What’s amazing to me is all the sub numbers called for this tractor do not match these two valves.

Part Number
AR51732
Qty Req
Remarks
(MARKED R31624, R34851 OR R40154) (SUB FOR AR31125, AR34662, AR40130 OR AR40403) (SUB RE13273)

Part Number
AR51732
Qty Req
Remarks
(SUB FOR AR31125, AR34662, AR40029, AR40130 OR AR40403) (SUB RE13273)

Kind of confusing.
What are your thoughts? Do I have valves that were intended for this tractor. S/N SNT113R081743R IMG_3173.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3055.JPG

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Welcome to GTT
IMHO your serial number T113R081743R indicates your tractor is a '66 3020 not a '63 3010. Is rear pto stub shaft attached to tractor with 4 bolts or a snap ring? If hyd's chatter when 3 pt is at lowest position then I'll guess 3 pt control valves are no seating when 3 pt control lever is in lowest position. When hyd's chatter is traction clutch engaged? Pressure control valves should interchange as their function is for internal valve to close at 1700 psi so as steering/brakes always have pressure oil when hyd pump is pumping oil. Shown below are spec's for the spring in question.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to GTT
IMHO your serial number T113R081743R indicates your tractor is a '66 3020 not a '63 3010. Is rear pto stub shaft attached to tractor with 4 bolts or a snap ring? If hyd's chatter when 3 pt is at lowest position then I'll guess 3 pt control valves are no seating when 3 pt control lever is in lowest position. When hyd's chatter is traction clutch engaged? Pressure control valves should interchange as their function is for internal valve to close at 1700 psi so as steering/brakes always have pressure oil when hyd pump is pumping oil. Shown below are spec's for the spring in question.
Tx Jim. Thank you for your reply. This is getting interesting as the tractor is newer and a different model. I will check the 3 pt control valves. The person we bought the tractor from said that the hydraulics were always slow, so my guess it that the priority valve was defective when he purchase the unit and has been running for years without sufficient hydraulic flow to the rockshaft and remotes. Do you think if I removed the plugs and tapped on the valves a bit they would seat, or purchase new valves?

I did some investigating and found that John Deere dealer did not know their serial numbers. I really thank you for giving me the heads up as I just resealed the injector pump and set my timing at 10 degrees BTDC, 3020 engine in TDC.

I'm just learning the ropes on JD equipment... Worked with Komatsu Mining Equipment for 30 years and now getting re-acquainted with farm machinery. Keeps me active in retirement.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Your PTO shaft is secured by a snap ring. Your tractor is not a 3010. The PTO stub shafts on the 3010 and 4010 were secured with four cap screws. I agree with TxJim that you have a 3020.

Have you checked the system pressure?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I see a snap ring securing pto stub shaft which indicates you have a 3020 most definitely not a 3010. Have you recently changed hyd filter & checked/cleaned trans sump screen? I agree with DRobinson have you checked hyd stand-by pressure?

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Jim:

3010 stub shaft would be carried in the PTO shield instead of mounting sideways above the output shaft. I was going by the 1000 rpm shaft.

Don

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your PTO shaft is secured by a snap ring. Your tractor is not a 3010. The PTO stub shafts on the 3010 and 4010 were secured with four cap screws. I agree with TxJim that you have a 3020.

Have you checked the system pressure?
Thanks. After TxJim response I looked it up. Now I just need to find out the cause of the chatter. Standby pressure 2200 PSI

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see a snap ring securing pto stub shaft which indicates you have a 3020 most definitely not a 3010. Have you recently changed hyd filter & checked/cleaned trans sump screen? I agree with DRobinson have you checked hyd stand-by pressure?
Changed hydraulic oil, filter and cleaned screen last year. Maybe put on 300 hours since changed. The hydraulic chatter started when I installed the priority valve. Note, the replacement valve has the steering bleed tube on the bottom, the old one had it at the top of the valve. Just wondering if there are valves that have not been used for years as the person we purchased the machine from said that the hydraulics (rockshaft and RCV) were always slow leading me to think other valves in the system did not get a good workout. Say for instance the throttling valve, rockshaft control and pressure valves. It is definite that the chatter comes when lowering the rockshaft and when in the lowered position.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Jim:

3010 stub shaft would be carried in the PTO shield instead of mounting sideways above the output shaft. I was going by the 1000 rpm shaft.

Don
Don
That's a very good point you mentioned about 1000 rpm shaft storage location which I didn't notice because my "old pea size brain" was concentrating on looking for "snap ring".:banghead:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3010 Hydraulics Chatter

Now that we've established that my tractor is a 1966 3020 - I still need help with the hydraulic chatter.
History:
1. Hydraulic remotes and rockshaft extremely slow.
2. Removed R31624R priority valve
3. Installed used R40559 priority valve
4. After installing the R40559 used priority valve the hydraulic power was excellent, but I got chatter when lowering the rockshaft and when it is in the lowered position. No noise when using the RCV.
5. Ascertained that the noise is isolated when lowering rockshaft.
6. I’m thinking that the problem might be the pressure control valve or the return valve or a combination of both. I removed and looked at them and they appear to be ok (they both look identical).
7. My next move it to remove the complete valve housing and give it a thorough inspection/cleaning.
8. Or I could reinstall the old priority valve with new springs and washers (there were no washers -shims in the old valve) but I'm hesitant as I could wind up spending more money and not fix the problem.

What are your suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts