Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 3010 diesel was converted to a 12v system before I bought it. It has been starting fine but after sitting for about two months thru the winter, now it won't turn over to start. It will click once and that's it. Batteries are completely charged, volt meter shows 12 volts when I turn on the key. I can pull start it in 6th gear and it will start within ten feet. Any ideas?

3010.jpg

·
Registered
715 Posts
My 3010 diesel was converted to a 12v system before I bought it. It has been starting fine but after sitting for about two months thru the winter, now it won't turn over to start. It will click once and that's it. Batteries are completely charged, volt meter shows 12 volts when I turn on the key. I can pull start it in 6th gear and it will start within ten feet. Any ideas?
Bad connection, cable, or starter. You'll have to do some troubleshooting.

To start, what is the voltage at the starter terminal to the frame when the key switch is in the start position?

Al

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My 1st guess is battery ground cable isn't making a good connection. Does your tractor have the added extra starter relay(solenoid)?

9solenoid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. I've taken apart everything I could on it & cleaned & retightened. I'm in Kansas right now but will be home next week with the tractor, I will start testing parts then.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would suggest that you do a load test on the batteries to make sure they are good. A bad battery will show good voltage, but will not start anything when you need to.

Dave

Reactions: em14 and mtrmn

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you have a reasonably accurate temperature gun, such a Milwaukee Fluke or DeWalt, Try starting the tractor normally (hold the key in start position for a few extra seconds) then go around to all the connection points and measure temperature. Any connection that is considerably hotter than the rest will be a problem point that is not making a good connection. Many times the terminal is not making good connection with the cable itself. This can also be done by simply feeling of the connections, but you may burn your wittle pinkies on a really bad spot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep. I've taken apart everything I could on it & cleaned & retightened. I'm in Kansas right now but will be home next week with the tractor, I will start testing parts then.
sat over the winter and now you just get clicks huh? moisture in the armature of your starter. Either that or take a dead blow hammer and smack the body of the starter while hitting the key and see if it wheels over, or take a screwdriver and jump your solenoid and see if that will make it do anything. Im still betting on moisture....if it will dry out you can get it rebuild, if it wont dry out then you can find very excellent replacements on amazon. I have bought 7020/5020/3020 starters on there and not had any issues.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
253 Posts
The cables can also become disconnected inside the ends, causing the problem you have. But first you have to without a doubt know you have a good hot battery then move towards the starter and cables and other items!
You can probably have the starter rebuilt locally if that turns out to be the culprit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts