Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 1967 3020 diesel and my brake valve has started leaking a little. It's leaking around the boots, and I was wondering if I could replace the two o-rings per pedal and install new boots while on the tractor. I don't have the time to remove the entire valve for a full rebuild right now and had a friend say you could replace the o-rings(#45&50). May try a full rebuild this winter but for now I need the tractor to continue working for me. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
IMHO, you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation and time by removing the valve and placing it in a vise for repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taking the valve off isnt a big problem but is it possible to do the repair im talking about without tearing it completely apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
Taking the valve off isnt a big problem but is it possible to do the repair im talking about without tearing it completely apart?

You'll have to remove the floor-board to allow the brake pedals to swing back far enough to remove the cover(#55). To do this, the 3 bolts(#56) will have to be removed. These 3 bolts also retain the bottom housing to the top housing. The gasket(#1) will most likely tear; and leak fluid when assembled.

This is the reason for my first reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically what you are saying is I need to remove the Valve, and make sure to replace that gasket as well?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
So basically what you are saying is I need to remove the Valve, and make sure to replace that gasket as well?

What I said(in not so many words) was doing the repair as you asked will most likely cause other issues.

Believe me, I've tried it before, many moons ago. :banghead:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I gotcha. So you recommend a full rebuild when I get the available time?(Probably this winter) Is it a very difficult task to rebuild them? What all do you replace when you rebuild them? The brakes work fine, it just leaks a little and I despise leaks. I have the mechanical knowledge to do it(Just rebuilt the motor and new clutch). I just have never been in one of these brake valves. I have a big JD tech manual which I have not looked at for info on the rebuild yet

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,798 Posts
Not difficult to rebuild. Having the Tech Manual is a plus. :good2:

Other than the brake valve kit(part # AR 31946), you may need to replace the 2 boots(part # R54059).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts