Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I bought new front tires for my 3020, and in the process of removing the old ones I noticed significant slop in the right front steering. It's isolated between the axle knee and the knuckle. You can see the knuckle moving (rotating) inside the knee from the top of the steering arm while everything else remains tight and stationary. This is only on the right side. I took a video, but it's too large to attach. The top of the knuckle is splined to fit into the steering arm, correct? Is the inside of the knee just a hollow shaft for the knuckle to pass up and through. So I'm thinking something is broken in the steering arm or knuckle. Before I start tearing into this, I would like to get some input from others here. Thanks in advance for any help. The video really shows it clearly, but I don't know how to edit the source to make it smaller.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Welcome to GTT
More than likely the wear you're seeing is in the splines inside the cast iron steering arm part # R47765(RH) $58. If new arm isn't tight enough on splines take a center punch & hammer to put marks on splines of steering knuckle so as to swell splines.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Is there any slop in the rear steering ??? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,171 Posts
Years ago, we used Devcon to fill in the wear of the splines at the steering arm.
John Deere offered a Plastic Steel repair kit (P/N AT76136) that is used for repairing spindle splines This epoxy material takes up the gap and makes parts fit, as long as they are not worn too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I’ll know more as I take the assembly apart, but you’ve given me an understanding of what to look for. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I don't remember hearing about the plastic steel repair kit. But for what it cost it better work! AT76136 $130.94

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Years ago, we used Devcon to fill in the wear of the splines at the steering arm.
John Deere offered a Plastic Steel repair kit (P/N AT76136) that is used for repairing spindle splines This epoxy material takes up the gap and makes parts fit, as long as they are not worn too much.
I don't remember hearing about the plastic steel repair kit. But for what it cost it better work! AT76136 $130.94
Didn't Loctite used to make a product that came in a tube to tighten splined shafts and mating parts? I remember a small tube and the product was blue. Of course, Loctite products aren't cheap either.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Didn't Loctite used to make a product that came in a tube to tighten splined shafts and mating parts? I remember a small tube and the product was blue. Of course, Loctite products aren't cheap either.
Sounds like you are thinking of Loctite "Quick Metal"

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
12,407 Posts
Could be. I may also have it confused with a Loctite product that tightened square keys and woodruff keys which is all probably the same thing.

Something had to replace cutting shims from old tin oil cans. They were popular on two cylinder flywheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts