Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right section.. I was looking at the thread from the National Farm Machinery Show and saw a 3025D. Thought it was a typo but then see they list it on JD's website.

I am still a little bit away from trying to convince the CFO but I would like the sell the X585 and all attachments. Debating on either a 2025R or 3025E but now there is the 3025D. The 2025R and 3025E are about a wash in price. I get the differences between them. I don't plan on doing a front blower and I have the Z950R for a mower so since I really don't need mid mount PTO, for the same money I can move up to the 3025E and have a bigger machine for a snow pusher and probably a rear blower. While I get it isn't as fun to backup doing blowing, to be honest even with the much smaller X585 I rarely use my blower. The few times I have need it, a bigger machine would probably be able to take care of it. Even if I went 2025R and got the front blower, for what they want for them, it is too much money to have just tied up in equipment that won't see much use. I can pick up a used rear blower for much less if I get into an oh crap snow fall. Besides, I am betting on this global warming thing. :yahoo:

I like that the 3025E has more capacity in terms of the FEL which is where my X585 sees the most use now that it is retired from mowing. So what is this new 3025D? I have seen in the past where that letter just changes every now and then for what appears to be no reason. Like when the Z915B became the Z915E. Well that change kind of made sense as the R's normally have all the bells and whistles where the E is a more stripped down version on tractors so by changing from B to E brought it in line with other machinery. Not sure where the D comes in.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see that they have a comparison on the JD site.

It might be the 3025E is Hydrostatic drive and the 3025D is 8 speed manual.

There are a few other differences in terms of PTO HP that won't matter that much to me. If that is the only difference I think I will still be leaning toward the 3025E unless something changes and causes the 2025R to win out.

I wouldn't be afraid of a manual but the hydrostatic is easier for the wife to operate should she need to.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Weight is another advantage the D has over the E, cast iron vs. aluminum. Should be heavier by a few hundred pounds, which equates to slightly better traction, in an apples to apples comparison.

EDIT; Here's a lengthy thread, with quite a bit of info...
The new 3D series from John Deere

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weight is another advantage the D has over the E, cast iron vs. aluminum. Should be heavier by a few hundred pounds, which equates to slightly better traction, in an apples to apples comparison.

EDIT; Here's a lengthy thread, with quite a bit of info...
The new 3D series from John Deere
I see that it is about 500# heavier. They said the FEL is the same though so no difference in lifting capabilities there. While a little less expensive, I don't see where it would be much of a benefit to my use. In fact the additional weight would work against me as it is just harder on the yard.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
If FEL work is your primary use case I'd stick with a hydro over a manual.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I seen the D model up close at the farm show. The first thing that caught my eye was the cast iron rear end and manual gears. Overall, it’s very similar to the E series. If it was a power reverser, I think it’d be a good value, but a shuttle shift, imho, is a hard sell.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I seen the D model up close at the farm show. The first thing that caught my eye was the cast iron rear end and manual gears. Overall, it’s very similar to the E series. If it was a power reverser, I think it’d be a good value, but a shuttle shift, imho, is a hard sell.
Still has a reverser on the column, doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If FEL work is your primary use case I'd stick with a hydro over a manual.
Yeah, if I go that route it will be a HLA Snowpusher pallet forks, grapple and for the back I'll use my 3pt sprayer, rear blower and maybe a bigger box blade.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, it has a shuttle shift reverser on the column. I dont know if you need to come to a complete stop or not when changing directions, but you do need to use the clutch.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, it has a shuttle shift reverser on the column. I dont know if you need to come to a complete stop or not when changing directions, but you do need to use the clutch.
Oh, I thought it was a shuttle on the floor/fender (wherever they placed it), and a reverser on the column.
I'd really like to see an operational video of the 3D machines.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks, I've seen that video. They kind of drift off into showcasing features that aren't 3D specific.
So, Reverser and Shuttle are used interchangeably, atleast that's what i'm seeing in some of the literature for the 3D's? I was thinking a Shuttle shift was like a Glide shift, where you push or pull the gear change lever (in a straight motion, not in a pattern) without clutching, through all 8 gears, upshifting or downshifting. Then the Reverser on the column, gives you the ability of forward motion or reverse in any of those 8 gears. Basically, it's a non-synchronized gear shift trans, with a Reverser (Shuttle), on the column. And no-one knows yet, if you have to use the clutch or be at a complete stop, when using the column mounted Reverser?
They (JD) aren't doing a very good job of showing the complete operation of the drive mechanisms, IMO.

EDIT;
Does it operate exactly like the 4044M in this video (skip to 9:22)....
Tractor Transmissions: Hydro vs Power Reverser vs Gear Shift Transmissions: John Deere Tractors - YouTube

EDIT again;
For use of the column mounted Reverser lever, you must be stopped and clutch depressed to change direction....
OMSJ32078

Attachments

Reactions: jc21

·
Registered
900 Posts
And no-one knows yet, if you have to use the clutch or be at a complete stop, when using the column mounted Reverser?
Here is a screen grab from the John Deere 3025D operator's manual. Clutch is req'd for all shifts..be it Forward/Reverse or Gear Selector.
Hey, that looks my post right above yours.
?

·
Registered
900 Posts
:laugh: I posted mine at 5:01 and yours said 5:02 I believe.
Damn, yup. Weird how my edit to add the image, was the same time you posted. :bigbeer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts