Green Tractor Talk banner

3025D vs 3035D

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Gs JD 
#1 ·
I’m looking into buying a 3D series for my property. I have hills and a 5 degree incline gravel driveway to snow plow. I weighing in if the new gear drive 3025D would have enough torque to Handle it and I can avoid emissions issues and cost. Or do I need to step up to the 35 hp.

#2 ·
Even a 3025D will typically run out of traction long before running out of torque. Extra HP will become more of an issue if you plan to run any rear PTO-driven implements like a bush hog, rear snow blower, chipper, etc.

#3 ·
Extra HP will become more of an issue if you plan to run any rear PTO-driven implements like a bush hog, rear snow blower, chipper, etc.
Yes, but with a gear drive he will have more HP at the PTO than with a Hydro.

Pretty sure the lower gears are low enough to put plenty of power to the ground.

x2 - Size the tractor HP by what you need to run on the PTO.

Reactions: 69project
#7 ·
Another factor to consider.

If you go to the 3035D with the emissions, you will need to work it to keep the regen's down.

If the 25D has the PTO hp you need, I wouldn't go bigger.

#8 ·
I had a mid-90's L2500 DT with Ag tires and that thing was a workhorse. Very similar in size and weight to the 3025D. I loved the thing. There were times it was a little light but in 4wd I could pull a 6 1/2' disc as deep as it would go and run it in gear 6 or 7 on an 8 speed trans. Same with running a 6' bush hog as long as the grass wasn't super tall.

Personally I think the 35 horse is only going to offer marginal additional performance for your needs.

#10 ·
Mine is the the 3043D but i like my D series. The overwhelming majority of my works is PTO implements and it’s perfect for that. If I were more focused on loader work I’d definitely want the hydro but that’s less the 5% of my seat time. 99.9% of the time the 43hp is overkill for me but man it’s nice when I need it. I don’t see why the 25hp version would have any issue running a 60” brush hog unless you were talking really tall and dense stuff. Even then going slow would probably fix it until you got it under control and could speed up on later cuttings.

#12 ·
While I don't have a Deere, I do have a tractor with a very similar power-to-weight ratio, and I've been quite happy with it thus far. Outside of PTO work, anything the 35 horsepower model can do, I can do, though I may have to do it at a slower pace. I won't make the same claim up against the 39 horsepower models, that's probably a bridge too far.

I also enjoy the simplicity that comes with not having an ECM. I do believe that as long as you run them at a higher RPM, a Tier IV machine will run fine outside of the odd lemon; however, if I don't need the added power why deal with added complexity?

Whichever machine you choose, I'm sure it will be a long lasting and joyous relationship. 👍

#13 ·
I've had my 3025D for two years now and love it. Love having gear drive, wouldn't want it any other way. I also have the 300 E loader. I have zero complaints with it. I specifically wanted a gear drive tractor and
Liked the heavy build quality of the 8 lug D series with the cast iron rear end compared to the Es 6 lug aluminum housing.

In low range it has tons of torque. I also went with the 25D to avoid the extra emissions components.

I think you'd be very happy with either one, but I think the 25D would serve you well.

Just my .02. Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.