Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2017 3025e. Dealer is recommending a 5’ rotary cutter. Just interested in opinions on the 5’ cutter. New here lot of good information that has helped with my decision on a new tractor.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Looking at a 2017 3025e. Dealer is recommending a 5’ rotary cutter. Just interested in opinions on the 5’ cutter. New here lot of good information that has helped with my decision on a new tractor.
I would second their recommendation. You're talking about the Frontier RC2060?

Oh, and...

:wgtt:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I have a 4510, which is almost twice the HP of the 3025E. I would not run a 5' cutter on 19 PTO horsepower. I have had bogging down issues with my 5' cutter on the 4510 in thick grass. For that tractor, I would stick with a 54 or 48" cutter.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
I would agree with your dealer depending on what you are cutting. I use a 4' on my 2025R mowing pastures and fields not worthy of haying and I wish I had a 5'. Thicker overgrown land might be more of a challenge at times but I'd go for it, if it's too thick just make a smaller cut.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 3025e that i got after trading in a 1025r. I had the 48" frontier rotary cutter for the 1025r and the trade in offer on the rotary cutter was insulting so i kept it. I was going to trade for the 60".

In thick, tall grass (over 2 feet) or light brush i am glad i DON'T HAVE the 60". in anything less than a foot tall the 48" does a very clean cut at a decent speed so i bet the 3025e could handle the 60" just fine.

What you get should totally be based on what you are going to cut, and how often you are going to cut it. If you have a field you are going to cut once a year and the weeds get to be the height of the hood of the tractor get the 48", but if you are going to cut areas maybe once or twice a month you could probably go with the 60"

Because of my budget, i don't have a dedicated mower, so i am using the frontier rotary cutter as a finish mower for now, and it actually does a pretty good job considering that's not what its designed for. If you are going to be using it like this, i would just suggest getting a finish mower and you could easily get a 60"

I use mine in the woods and some of my trails are tight with sharper turns so i like the 48" in those setting too.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
I would agree with your dealer depending on what you are cutting. I use a 4' on my 2025R mowing pastures and fields not worthy of haying and I wish I had a 5'. Thicker overgrown land might be more of a challenge at times but I'd go for it, if it's too thick just make a smaller cut.
:bigthumb: my salesman talked me into a 48 inch JD clear back in 2006, for behind my 2520 then. boy oh boy-every thumping summer i regret that decision when i get it out to mow. mower won't even cover my tire width.:banghead: i have tired unsuccessfully to trade in for a 5 footer for yrs. nope we don't need a used one on the lot, u sell it yourself-then we will sell u a new one:nunu::nunu:

buy one that covers ur machines tire tracks, and as said-if tall stuff-just take a narrower pass-or slow down in heavy stuff-don't go for the 4 footer-just my 2 cts-ok

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good point, my 48" tiller won't cover my 3025e tire tracks. Get the 5' bush hog.
:bigthumb: my salesman talked me into a 48 inch JD clear back in 2006, for behind my 2520 then. boy oh boy-every thumping summer i regret that decision when i get it out to mow. mower won't even cover my tire width.:banghead: i have tired unsuccessfully to trade in for a 5 footer for yrs. nope we don't need a used one on the lot, u sell it yourself-then we will sell u a new one:nunu::nunu:

buy one that covers ur machines tire tracks, and as said-if tall stuff-just take a narrower pass-or slow down in heavy stuff-don't go for the 4 footer-just my 2 cts-ok
Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 3025E and would definitely get the 5'. The first time I mowed my 4 acres it was covered with 3-4 foot tall grass, weeds, briars and small trees. The only thing that slowed the tractor down were some huge fire ant mounds which I couldn't see. They're just about all dead now.:lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use my 3025e for my side business and run a RC2060. 90% of the time it’s perfectly fine. The only time is when it’s really thick and hasn’t been cut in a few years, it’s wet, or is moderately thick and going up hill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 3025E with a Bush Hog 60" rotary mower. Last summer I cut just over 60 acres of hay fields on the neighbor that stopped farming. Stemmy orchard, rye and canary grass that was hood high in spots. No real problems and a little common sense goes far. Keep the blades sharp, oil in the gear box, rpm's around 2400 and off you go. The 60" mower covers the wheel tracks on this tractor nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 3038e with 60 frontier. Handles fine in 4' reeds canary and giant ragweed and mows same width as tractor...a necessity.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts