Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at all the posts on this forum related to the 3025E, and looked through the online JD 3025E operators manual. I could not find any mention to selectable 4WD. I read multiple posts on this forum that said that the 3025E does not tear up the lawn (as long as the lawn is dry), but I'm not sure how that is possible if the 3025E is making tight turns? Also, I'd be getting R4 tires; the R3 turf tires would not work on my steep driveway.

Can anyone please help me understand what I'm miss understanding??

Thanks,
Stan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coaltrain: Ha! Good question. It can just be my ignorance, but I thought that turf tires do not work as well in the snow. Are you thinking that R3 tires with chains for the snow is the best way to go??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Most people believe that Turf tires are better than the R4 tires because they have more contact area with frozen ground, asphalt and concrete. Some forum members with R4 tires have used a tire grover to sipe their tires which seems to improve snow traction. If you were only doing ground engaging work I would bet R4 otherwise Turf tires are better on the grass and for snow traction. Do a search for tire grooving on the forum and that should answer your questions.

i can’t answer your 4WD question but going to a dealer and inspecting a 3025 should quickly answer your question. Don’t believe what some salesman say, I’ve met some that have very little knowledge of what they are selling.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
Coaltrain: Ha! Good question. It can just be my ignorance, but I thought that turf tires do not work as well in the snow. Are you thinking that R3 tires with chains for the snow is the best way to go??
A lot of experience on our forum here with many various machines, tire type, and condition. The consensus is that turf tires with chains are the best for snow and ice.

I have R4’s for one main reason - working in the woods. My first sub compact tractor had turf tires and I got many flats mostly due to thorns from multi flora rose and wild blackberry bushes. After 12 years now with this tractor and R4’s I never had that issue again.

I have a pretty steep section on my driveway which is grave. Chains are necessary with the R4’s for me. Even so I can only plow downhill with anything over 4”.

·
Premium Member
10,691 Posts
I looked at all the posts on this forum related to the 3025E, and looked through the online JD 3025E operators manual. I could not find any mention to selectable 4WD. I read multiple posts on this forum that said that the 3025E does not tear up the lawn (as long as the lawn is dry), but I'm not sure how that is possible if the 3025E is making tight turns? Also, I'd be getting R4 tires; the R3 turf tires would not work on my steep driveway.

Can anyone please help me understand what I'm miss understanding??
All of JD's SCUT/CUT tractors have MFWD. You can choose between 2WD and 4WD by moving a selector.

If your driveway is as steep as you say then I don't think it makes any difference what type of tires you have. Whatever you have is going to need chains and additional weight added.

IMHO, a R3 tire performs better with chains than does a R4 tire simply because the chains fit much better across the smaller lugs. So if you want something that is decent for mowing the yard AND provides traction for winter then get R3. use them bare during the summer and then install chains for the winter. You may even need to install chains on all four tires. That's the situation I'm in with my 2720 and my driveway. I have R4 tires and must run chains on all four tires.

·
Premium Member
10,691 Posts
Below is the information from the Operator's Manual concerning the MFWD selector:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
The 3025E definitely has a lever to engage MFWD.

Here's the manual: The "R" lever on the Operator Station Controls page is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
A 3025e can't be used to mow the lawn with a MMM as the tractor does not offer a front PTO option. The only way to mow would be with a rear 3 point finish mower and with the horsepower and torque limited, I wouldn't go any wider than 5' if you cut anything more than regular lawn.

Depending upon the amount of lawn you have to mow and your other needs, sometimes a dedicated mowing machine is a far superior option to the use of a SCUT or CUT, especially if you have a lot of lawn to cut and also want a real nice result.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 for a dedicated mowing machine.

I haven't torn up my lawn when I have driven the tractor over it, but I've been careful not to turn sharply & kept the burn outs to a minimal (sarcasm).

People's comments above about the 4WD (or whatever the technical term is) are correct. The one thing I will add is: partially depressing the brake pedal will lock the differential(s) so you will spin the wheels receiving power. Again, apologies if that was not the technical terms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts