Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3032 runs about 30 minutes then dies abruptly, no warning. around 5 minutes and it will start again, runs maybe 10 minutes and abruptly quits again. wait a few minutes to start it and do it all again. I found a thread on this, but no answer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like a bad fuel pump or short in the wiring to the fuel pump. Not a mechanic, just my first thought and where I would probably start.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Any recent fuel system maintenance performed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am tied up till 1st of the week. No recent fuel system maintenance done. I will check the fuel filler cap first as it was run in some really dusty conditions a lot before it started doing this. Then fuel filters. THANKS!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am tied up till 1st of the week. No recent fuel system maintenance done. I will check the fuel filler cap first as it was run in some really dusty conditions a lot before it started doing this. Then fuel filters. THANKS!!
Also take a look at the air filter

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
My 3032 runs about 30 minutes then dies abruptly, no warning. around 5 minutes and it will start again, runs maybe 10 minutes and abruptly quits again. wait a few minutes to start it and do it all again. I found a thread on this, but no answer.
To me it sounds like Vapor Lock but not sure a diesel can do that? It is when the fuel gets so hot it boils and can't be pumped till it cools down and returns to liquid again. I would open the cap on my fuel tank when this happens to see if it has a vacuum sound coming off. Might have a plugged fuel tank vent.

Here is information on air lock;

Air is normally introduced into the fuel lines after you change fuel filters. You can prevent air lock by filling the new filter(s) completely with fuel and topping off a few minutes later once the fuel is absorbed by the filters. Run a ring of diesel fuel around the gasket with your finger before reinstalling the filter and you should be good to go.
But what happens if you run the tank dry, or if you have a small leak in the fuel line or at any of the connection fittings? In these situations, air can enter the system and cause air lock. You must identify how and where the air got into the lines in the first place, and then remedy the cause before proceeding to the fix.
Fortunately, it’s a lot easier to cure an air lock situation in a diesel than for a diver to recover from the bends. (The diver gets re-pressurized in a hyperbaric chamber; the diesel requires a few good crescent wrenches and lots of rags.) The key is to “bleeding the engine” so that all of the air in the lines is expelled. This is a tedious task, but not too difficult. In many cases, you can do the job yourself without the help of a professional mechanic.
To start the process, locate the manual fuel pump primer on the engine. This may be a small lever you pump up and down, or a plunger-type you push in. Open up the bleed screw on top of the secondary fuel filter, and start pumping the primer pump. You will likely see both fuel and bubbles coming out of the bleed screw. Continue pumping the primer until nothing but pure, bubble-free fuel comes out of the top of the secondary filter. (If you have two filters, do this procedure for both.) At that point, close the bleed screw and crank the engine to see if it starts, and then run it at speed for at least 10 minutes, listening for any anomalies.
If the engine starts right up and runs smoothly, you’re one of the lucky ones. In many cases, though, there are more air bubbles downstream in the system. Thus, if the engine quits again, repeat the bleeding process using the bleed screw on the injector pump, and then on the top of each injector one at a time (this is the tedious part), closing each tightly once fuel runs out bubble-free.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Any luck? Curious what was causing the issue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got back out to the Country today and used the tractor to unload a pallet, then had a little time, so tried bush hogging. Tractor quit after 10 minutes. I waited a minute or so and it cranked back up. I worked than for probably 35 minutes. I had loosened the fuel cap and it was loose when tractor quit! After 2nd shutoff, I waited a couple minutes and it started and ran probably 15 minutes or so. After that, it would start after a couple minutes usually on the 2nd try, but would only run a minute or two. I thought I could take the long way back to the house.. Wrong. I had to leave it in back pasture after it would barely start and quit immediately with a big puff of smoke! I went back 30 minutes later just before heading back to town, thinking it would run and I could get it back to the house. NOT. Cranked and died with a puff of smoke twice. It was dark. so I left it. Will go back out tomorrow and see what I can do with it. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that it could be the pto button. if it starts or wont start wiggle the yellow cap around ill bet it is as simple as that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know the PTO switch would kill the tractor engine while running. I hope to get back out there today and take a look at the fuel flow from the tank and just try to trace the problem. I did swap the fuel shutoff relay yesterday to no avail. It still shutoff just as before. thanks for all the ideas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The filter screen in the bottom of the tank had crud built up on it. I didn't have time or see a way to get the gas tank off reasonably easy, so blew compressed air through the rubber fuel line from the water separator end into the tank. It and my poking with various tools, cleared much of the tubular screen. I checked by pouring a half gallon of diesel in the tank. It POURED out of the previously dripping water separator end of the hose. So, OK for now. I will know exactly where to look if it stops up again anytime soon. Maybe by then I will find details on removing the tank or an easy way to get the crud out. NO shopvac nearby and I didn't want to get ANY diesel in my Oreck household vac. Yeah, I did pump the diesel out, but you never get it all out!!!

·
Administrator
21,120 Posts
Hopefully you don’t have an algae problem. You’ll need to thoroughly clean the fuel system and treat with an algaecide if you do have that problem. The crud usually shows up as a black slimy substance. If you don’t get rid of it all, it will come right back.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hopefully you don’t have an algae problem. You’ll need to thoroughly clean the fuel system and treat with an algaecide if you do have that problem. The crud usually shows up as a black slimy substance. If you don’t get rid of it all, it will come right back.
I thought algae was a thing of the past with the ULSD we are stuck with.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
No, I don't think so. I think it can still grow under the right conditions.

·
Administrator
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
23,536 Posts
No, I don't think so. I think it can still grow under the right conditions.
The fuel itself really has nothing to do with it - it’s water. Algae grows in water. There are many ways water can get into a fuel system. It can come from the tanks where you get your fuel or from simple condensation issues.

Condensation issues are the main reason why one should always keep the tank full. The fuel returns to the tank heated from the engine when running. Then when shut down the warm fuel cools allowing for condensation. The fuller the tank the less room for condensation to happen.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
NOPE ,, I had it growing in only 1 of my 6 5gal plastic cans. I kept seeing something dark at the bottom of the can, yep algae.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same issue on my 30 series

I noticed my fuel filter has sucked in. It was plastic. Starving for fuel. Changed filters same issue. Disconnected fuel line at filter and no flow from tank. Blew air into line with cap off and heard a pop from the tank. Did a visual and nothing seen. Reconnected and never an issue afterwards.

Reactions: BigJim55
1 - 19 of 19 Posts