Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new 3032e owner. In hooking up a pto attachment, I was hoping the spindle could be hand turned when engine is off and in gear in neutral. I found it could not be hand turned and made the hookup a lit bit more frustrating hand turning the pto shaft/implement to get the splines to align. I ask, because I also own a Kubota L series and the spindle does turn, making shaft alignment a breeze for a quick hookup. I could not find anything else in the forum or the owners manual to help answer the question.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm a new 3032e owner. In hooking up a pto attachment, I was hoping the spindle could be hand turned when engine is off and in gear in neutral. I found it could not be hand turned and made the hookup a lit bit more frustrating hand turning the pto shaft/implement to get the splines to align. I ask, because I also own a Kubota L series and the spindle does turn, making shaft alignment a breeze for a quick hookup. I could not find anything else in the forum or the owners manual to help answer the question.
Thanks
Hi Wayne, I own a 1025r, not a 3032e, but I had the same issue until some kind soul on here pointed out that if you put the pto selector lever to the front pto, the rear one would easily turn by hand. Perhaps the 3032e works similarly?

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
Hi Wayne, I own a 1025r, not a 3032e, but I had the same issue until some kind soul on here pointed out that if you put the pto selector lever to the front pto, the rear one would easily turn by hand. Perhaps the 3032e works similarly?
I think the issue with the 3032e (and the other 3E series) is that it only has a single PTO in the rear. So there is no selector to pick mid or rear PTO. I've never heard anyone mention before that they couldn't turn the PTO freely. I'm curious what other 3E owners have to say.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nope, it won't turn. No front PTO.
Does make it harder. Hook up 3 point first, then raise implement, then hook up PTO.
Raising it off the ground obviously makes it easier to turn the implement shaft but also
when the shaft is horizontal (implement gear box level with machine PTO stub) it is easier
to slide the PTO shaft on.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Well that will teach me to offer advice on things I don't know about. 😆 Back to the topic...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for both replies. The 3032e is rear pto only (our configuration), no midmount PTO to select. Only a rocker switch to engage/disengage when tractor is running. The implement I was hooking up was a finish mower, shaft alignment is near horizontal when it is on the ground and no part of the blades catch the ground to make the shaft turning harder. I found that keeping the toplink unhooked, it gave me more space for me to wrestle the alignment to slide on. I was suspecting that the design was not a moveable spindle since the size of the tractor implements could be manhandled. My Kubota is a larger class machine and manhandling the right-sized implements was a task...while I kept the tractor idling...and oh, when I turned it off, the spindle turned by hand...whew, lesson learned forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for both replies. The 3032e is rear pto only (our configuration), no midmount PTO to select. Only a rocker switch to engage/disengage when tractor is running. The implement I was hooking up was a finish mower, shaft alignment is near horizontal when it is on the ground and no part of the blades catch the ground to make the shaft turning harder. I found that keeping the toplink unhooked, it gave me more space for me to wrestle the alignment to slide on. I was suspecting that the design was not a moveable spindle since the size of the tractor implements could be manhandled. My Kubota is a larger class machine and manhandling the right-sized implements was a task...while I kept the tractor idling...and oh, when I turned it off, the spindle turned by hand...whew, lesson learned forever.
Implements we have for the 3032e for the rear 3 pt hitch/pto include the following implements of various vintages ranging from new to never will wear out
Landspride 1560 grooming/finish mower
Woods 48" brush mower
Kingkutter fertilizer spreader
York rake with scarifier and level blade
Frontier scrape blade
Titan ballast box
Titan receiver hitch with several welded on hooks to drag logs
and access to a Salsco pto driven wood chipper

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yup won't turn. One of the things I'd change about my 3025e if possible. Makes it more difficult to hook up pto shafts than is needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think the issue with the 3032e (and the other 3E series) is that it only has a single PTO in the rear. So there is no selector to pick mid or rear PTO. I've never heard anyone mention before that they couldn't turn the PTO freely. I'm curious what other 3E owners have to say.
i am like you i cant imagine it not being turnable when not engaged.........not argueing with the owners but i am trying to imagine the mechanics that would support that

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
i am like you i cant imagine it not being turnable when not engaged.........not argueing with the owners but i am trying to imagine the mechanics that would support that
Then again, look at the 1 and 2-series. You cannot turn the rear PTO unless the selector is on the front PTO and visa versa. So they would probably be the same if not for the selector lever, which the 3E does not have. I figured it had something to do with the PTO brake.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There is also the option of adding an overrunning clutch. Only free turning in one direction but with the advantage of being inexpensive.

Reactions: theduke

·
Premium Member
15,730 Posts
There is also the option of adding an overrunning clutch. Only free turning in one direction but with the advantage of being inexpensive.
Can you turn an over run clutch by hand?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't see why not. Freely turning in one direction is what it does to (keep implement rotational momentum from "pushing" a tractor whose pto is tied to the transmission, when the clutch is depressed).

Reactions: jgayman

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes..2 fingers....great investment for multiple reasons.
And they are now avl. in the new improved quick connect just like your standard pto shaft (1 button)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 3032E does not turn either. I use a screw driver to rotate the shaft on my finish mower to align the rear PTO. Of course, that was only needed on my first use. Thereafter, as long as I don't move the mower shaft, it aligns with the rear PTO. I find that the tolerance of the 3032E to be tight. I've used a New Holland work master and had a much easier time installing the PTO, with looser tolerance. YMMV

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade,
43 Posts
I use the quick connect over running clutch. It turns free and hook up is easy. Only thing is to make sure pto shaft is ok with added length. You may need to shorten pto drive shaft 2 to 4 inches. The over run clutch also saves the pto brake when you shut down the brush hog with all the rotating mass. Allowing it to freewheel/spool down. Screenshot_20210725-093825_Chrome~2.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts