Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3032e that runs for a short period of time then stops. It won't start again until I've let it sit for 5-10 minutes. This happened to me a couple months ago and then stopped after I had added a quart of oil and 1/2 gallon of jd20. Though I hadn't run the tractor for longer than 1/2 hour since then. The tractor had been running almost an hour when this happened this time. I had a leak hydraulic leak from front shaft seal for the front axle drive. This was repaired at 202 hours on the tractor and it's at 210 now.

I have read quite a few threads on this forum and others. The most likely thing seems to me that there was a fuel delivery problem. It seems a lot of people have had problems with the fuel screen plugging. So I pulled the fuel line of the filter to see what the flow of diesel coming out was and it was full flow.

Next even though the float hadn't risen at all in my fuel filter I drained the diesel from that and there was no water. When I turned the key on to purge the air from the sediment bowl, which the manual said should take 10-15 seconds, the air did not purge very fast and after 30 seconds I turned the key off.

So I am not sure but it seems to me that the in line fuel pump might be bad. Hopefully there is someone here with a bit more experience that can validate my guess here. I'm including a picture of 30 seconds worth of diesel in the sediment bowl.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Does your tractor have a fuel shutoff valve above the filter? Sometimes the o-ring inside the handle will get dislodged and restrict flow of the fuel.

Also does this model still have the fuel tank on the hood or is it a newer model where it is behind the seat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is a fuel shut off valve in front of the filter. I will check that.

My fuel tank is on the hood (in front of the steering wheel), I believe it's a 2013 model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The o-ring on the fuel shut off valve is good and where it's supposed to be. I was off by a couple years though, it's a 2015.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
There is a second fuel filter, have you changed that? It's towards the dash on the right side (from the seat) or is on my 2017 3025E. What you are showing is a water strainer or at least that's what I think it is called on my version of the 3E series.

I would also take a look down in the tank. JD in the past has put a small strainer where the fuel line leaves the tank. I don't know if they have done that on this tractor or not but is worth exploring. That might be getting clogged intermittently. You might also have algae or something growing in the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't replaced the other fuel filter yet. It's a foot or so upstream of the inline pump on y 3032e, also on the right hand side.

The manual is referring to the parts in my picture as a fuel filter and sediment bowl.

There is probably only a gallon of diesel left in my tank, but I have a pile of brush that needs to be burned... I was hoping that a free flowing fuel coming out of the tank would be a good indication that the there is no blockage in the tank, but I guess the positive pressure created by the fuel pump could pull sediment/algae into the screen. I'll check that after work tomorrow.

Should I go ahead and replace all the fuel filters now?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You might want to check the fuel shutoff solenoid. It's part M810324, Could have a problem with the hold in coil dropping out after it gets warm. If you got good flow everywhere and runs good could be a issue with the shutoff solenoid cutting out. It's a fairly common issue with lots of models. Even if it doesn't work it's still a good part to have around because odds are it will eventually need replacing.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I haven't replaced the other fuel filter yet. It's a foot or so upstream of the inline pump on y 3032e, also on the right hand side.

The manual is referring to the parts in my picture as a fuel filter and sediment bowl.

There is probably only a gallon of diesel left in my tank, but I have a pile of brush that needs to be burned... I was hoping that a free flowing fuel coming out of the tank would be a good indication that the there is no blockage in the tank, but I guess the positive pressure created by the fuel pump could pull sediment/algae into the screen. I'll check that after work tomorrow.

Should I go ahead and replace all the fuel filters now?

Thanks for the advice.
I would so you know what you have, that main fuel filter up stream is really easy to change. They are supposed to be replaced a certain hourly intervals anyways.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the first fuel filter this morning, but couldn't get the second fuel filter (upstream from the in line pump) off. I was using a filter wrench and was putting enough torque on it to twist the manifold it's screwed on to. Do I need to worry about breaking/bending that?

There was gunk on top of the filter I was able to pull. I'm included a picture of that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Check for algae. It will be black slug looking stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was no black stuff in or around the first fuel filter. There was some sediment in the bottom though, well as a little film in the corners that was brownish green. Rubbing the fun with my fingers was enough to remove it and I dumped it out with the sediment.

Hopefully I will be able to get the second fuel filter off when I get home from work tonight.

If so I'll drain the rest of the fuel from my tank and make sure there is no residue/algae in it.

@Super55 do you know if there is much of a difference between solenoid makes. I looked it up and they vary from $25 to $150.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to get the fuel filter loose with a bit of rubber belting in between the filter wrench and filter. I took a video of the sediment bowl filling with fuel. It barely filled the bowl itself in 14 seconds. The manual says 10-15 seconds to fill the whole filter. Am I reading this wrong or is my filter filling way to slow.

I also took a another picture of the fuel filter. I am pretty sure there is organic growth on it. I have only run two tanks of fuel through the tractor myself and am not sure if the previous owners treated the diesel or how long the diesel would sit in the tractor between uses.

So it looks like at the very least I should get an algaecide to take care of anything in the fuel tank and rest of the fuel system. I'll empty the tank and make sure the screen in there isn't plugged. Is there anything else I need to do for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Teton I really can't give an honest answer on that. I typically use aftermarket if available when costs are different but my tractors are way out of warranty. I've heard of stories when warranty work was argued against because OEM parts weren't used but for me I'll run my luck on a 50 dollar part vs. a 150. JD parts are kind of funny. Some parts are very competitively priced and then others you will get a full blown sticker shock.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Magnuson Moss act prevents any manufacturer from denying or specifying a warranty requires the use of factory parts/fluids unless they want to furnish said parts and fluids

Magnuson Moss Warranty-Federal Trade Commission Improvements Act

Title I of this Act authorizes the Federal Trade Commission to develop regulations for written warranties. The Act directs the Commission to establish disclosure standards for written warranties, specifies standards for “full” warranties, limits disclaimer of implied warranties, and establishes consumer remedies for breach of warranty or service contract obligations. The E-Warranty Act of 2015, Pub. L. No. 114-51, 129 Stat. 494, amending this Title, requires the Commission to revise its rule on pre-sale availability of warranties to provide that disclosure of a warranty on the manufacturer's website complies with the rule so long as (a) the location of the website and an offline means of obtaining the warranty are indicated on the product, packaging, or manual, and (b) the seller makes the warranty available at the location of the sale before purchase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
True but they can deny all day long, it’s then on us to go further with action.
Not if you involve your state AG, they don't like those phone calls.

I had an ex girlfriend that bought a Infiniti, sales guy said that all the filters and oil was proprietary and had to be purchase thru service in order to maintain the warranty. I leaned across the desk and said that it was their legal responsibility to supply those for free if they were required to maintain the warranty. He balked, I asked to borrow his phone, called the AG's office, told them what was going on, lady said hand the phone to said sales guy, lot's of yes ma'ams later, he asked me how many filters I wanted. I walked out with a case of oil filters, a couple of air filters and a transmission filter. That is specifically what that act was meant to address, protection for the consumer.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I was able to get the fuel filter loose with a bit of rubber belting in between the filter wrench and filter. I took a video of the sediment bowl filling with fuel. It barely filled the bowl itself in 14 seconds. The manual says 10-15 seconds to fill the whole filter. Am I reading this wrong or is my filter filling way to slow.

I also took a another picture of the fuel filter. I am pretty sure there is organic growth on it. I have only run two tanks of fuel through the tractor myself and am not sure if the previous owners treated the diesel or how long the diesel would sit in the tractor between uses.

So it looks like at the very least I should get an algaecide to take care of anything in the fuel tank and rest of the fuel system. I'll empty the tank and make sure the screen in there isn't plugged. Is there anything else I need to do for that.

I am thinking that's a little slow. I would go with your idea to drain the tank, probably need to remove it and give it a good cleaning. I would also blow out the fuel line from the tank to your filter to make sure it's clean and isn't rotting from the inside. Once you get that part of the fuel system clean I am thinking maybe run some fuel injection cleaner through it. You don't want any of those clogged up, that gets expensive real quick. Looks like you have found or real close to finding the source of your problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.