Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a low hours 2016 3033R with Cab & FEL. Everything seemed to check out fine until first job of bush hogging on unlevel ground I noticed the right front tire (facing tractor) was losing traction. Immediately checked tires for potential flat. No low tire or flat. Eventually put tractor on level ground bringing entire frond end of tractor off ground with FEL. That's when I discovered the axle was stuck elevated to top on right side & left side was all the way down. Typically with front of tractor off ground this will float or can be raised up & down by hand with no problem.

It seems that there is no "float" to the front axle & stuck in where the right tire barely touches on level ground. When loaded on trailer you cannot tell anything is wrong as all 4 tires are on the ground. There is a grease fitting & bolt with lock nut on it to what seems to be pinion bolt that allows front axle to have suspension for lack of a better term.

Has anyone ran across the front axle being rigid or in this case stuck in angled position?

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
The front axle pivots on one bolt. How can it be stuck to one side? You do know that the front axle is a limited slip, so one tire(least traction) will spin in mfwd. Seems impossible, but I've heard nothing is impossible...

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The front axle pivots on one bolt. How can it be stuck to one side? You do know that the front axle is a limited slip, so one tire(least traction) will spin in mfwd. Seems impossible, but I've heard nothing is impossible...
Yes sir! I am aware the front axle is limited slip...I have not been able to find any kind of schematic on that area of the tractor but assumed it pivoted on a single bolt. I was tempted to back off the tap bolt with locking nut that looks as if it keeps something in place but was afraid something might become out of align & unable to move tractor. I am thoroughly confused as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack it up and it should pivot freely.
That's the problem...when jacked up it doesn't pivot. The attachment above is a terrible angle to see the tire off the ground...the FEL has the front end off the ground & if you look at the left to right angle of axle you will see it is stuck. Can't figure out why or how to fix it.

·
Administrator
22,935 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
Sounds like the differential housing bosses at the axle support trunnion / bearing blocks are seized or fouled.

I'd jack up and support the tractor by the front subframe which will allow the axle to float. Then inspect, clear, clean any debris between the trunnions and the differential housing. Loosen the trunnion through bolt & nut and soak the pivot areas with a good penetrant like Kroil, PB Blaster or Deep Creep. Let it do its job. Then attempt to oscillate the axle. There is a possibility that moisture got beyond the seals and caused rust / corrosion to accumulate on the fore and aft bearings and races.

If you are able to free it up, then torque the bolt and nut to spec. Keep in mind that without complete disassembly you're not able to inspect the trunnion bearings, races and seals.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Big and @Shipbytrucks Where did you read that the front axle is a limited slip? If only one tire, the one with the least traction, spins that is an open differential. I looked in the manual and it explained engaging the front axle but nothing about it being a limited slip.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
It seems impossible for that area ( pivot Bolt) to seize... strange things do happen.

I wonder if a small rock or something wedged itself in pivot area.

Loosen bolt..soak it with your favorite penetrant.

Lift front axle off ground and place a 6x6 block under 1 front tire.
pick a side.

lift again and put block under the other side.

repeat till it frees up.

Is there no grease fitting?

If so remove it..blow out hole with air , get some oil going in that direction as well.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
@Big and @Shipbytrucks Where did you read that the front axle is a limited slip? If only one tire, the one with the least traction, spins that is an open differential. I looked in the manual and it explained engaging the front axle but nothing about it being a limited slip.
I did not read that the front axle is a limited slip, open diff may be a better (more accurate) description, I just wanted to convey that both front tires don't "pull". The one with least traction does. The same thing with the rear, but the rear actually has a diff lock that "locks" both rear tires together so they both turn no matter what traction each has.

Reactions: theduke

·
Registered
512 Posts
You do know that the front axle is a limited slip, so one tire(least traction) will spin in mfwd. Seems impossible, but I've heard nothing is impossible...
Tou are misusing thr term "Limited slip" or do not understand what it means. Limited slip would mean exactly the opposite. Power would be sent to both wheels equally. The action you are referring to is an open differential. where the wheel with the least resistance or traction will spin.

Jeff.

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
I did not read that the front axle is a limited slip, open diff may be a better (more accurate) description, I just wanted to convey that both front tires don't "pull". The one with least traction does. The same thing with the rear, but the rear actually has a diff lock that "locks" both rear tires together so they both turn no matter what traction each has.
you are misusing the term "Limited slip" or do not understand what it means. Limited slip would mean exactly the opposite. Power would be sent to both wheels equally. The action you are referring to is an open differential. where the wheel with the least resistance or traction will spin.

Jeff.
No limited slip. It's an open differential.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Tou are misusing thr term "Limited slip" or do not understand what it means. Limited slip would mean exactly the opposite. Power would be sent to both wheels equally. The action you are referring to is an open differential. where the wheel with the least resistance or traction will spin.

Jeff.
open diff may be a better (more accurate) description, I just wanted to convey that both front tires don't "pull".
Your right

·
Administrator
22,935 Posts
Yeah the best we can get is really 3-wheel drive.

Reactions: ZoomerHD
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.