Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 2017 3033R with approximately 360 hours. It is garage kept and used for general use around our 6 acres, mostly for moving firewood and tilling in the spring. In December 2019, six months out of general warrant, the third function valve failed and the dealership advised it had seized due to rust! I couldn’t understand how a garage kept tractor with 175 hours could have a rusted hydraulic valve rust in a closed system. I argued that the valve must have been faulty. I argued that point to the dealership but found no relief from the $1,600.00 repair bill. I contacted JD Customer Contact Management department. They negotiated a cost reduction on the bill. But I still paid over a thousand dollars for that repair.

Now, in May 2021, the hydraulic system completely failed on the tractor, with less than 360 engine hours. There was plenty of fluid in the system but the front lift, 3 pt lift, and steering did not work. The tractor would not move because the transmission is hydraulic. The dealer called to advise that so far, they have determined that the issue is a hydraulic manifold and the cost would be $500.00 (part only?). I point out this should be covered under the 6 year transmission warranty which includes “all parts therein.” The dealer advised they checks with John Deere and stated that this is not covered by the warranty. I reached out directly to John Deere and they advised that they will contact the dealership and get back to me. I am now wondering if my tractor is a green lemon! It does not seem right that a machine with less than 360 hours would have a rusty 3rd function hydraulic valve (at 175 hours) and now a failed hydraulic manifold (at 360 hours). I had just purchased a filter pak and fluids for servicing when this problem developed. I had previously replaced all the filters and fluids at approx 100 hours. Has anyone else experienced these issues with a 3033R or similar compact tractor? Is it possible that I bought a John Deere Lemon?

·
Registered
229 Posts
The “rusty” 3rd function was likely just it getting stuck from not being used. I believe the spool on those eSCV’s can be disassembled and cleaned. It’s likely the dealer only knew how to just replace the entire eSCV. My eSCV stopped responding after only a year and 50-60 hrs, but turns out it was just stuck from not being actuated regularly. The eSCV’s need to be actuated every time the tractor is used so as to preserve their ability to operate.

The hydraulic manifold would be something else. I don’t think you have a lemon at all. Overall for failures I don’t think that’s too bad. Though I can understand the frustration over cost.

Rick

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sure sounds frustrating, but I will give me limited .02 worth, as I also keep my 2025r in a garage full time, I know the day of delivery I was poking around it checking everything out, and noticed inside the 12v outlet (that has a cap mind you) was already pretty corroded, my point being this unit was not on my dealers lot, but was sourced from another state dealership, its obvious to me that it must have sat outside for an undetermaned amount of time at the previous dealership likely at some point without the cap sealed over it. unfortunetly these units more times than not are kept outdoors before we get them, think of all those units at big box stores just sitting out front weathering, its sad but tru, yours may have have "pre" weathered before you got it and took better care of it is all im trying to say. I have a new 3039r on order and im sure it to will spend some of its life after assembly outdoors before I get it, just not possible to store them all indoors at manufacturer and dealers, same with autos, the difference being an auto IS designed for outdoor sitting, tractors and especially uncabbed really are not IMO.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your feedback. I reached out the JD HQ and spoke with a Customer Representative who opened a case for my situation. Long story short, he called the dealership and spoke with the Technician working on my 3033r. He was told that an external hydraulic line was torn causing air to be sucked into the manifold, causing the entire hydraulic system failure. I don’t see how this is possible since I’ve not used the tractor in any environment which could cause a hydraulic line to be caught or entangled. Nor were there any visible signs of external damage. Although there was some minor leaking on the left side, in the vicinity of the hydraulic pump, the dipstick indicated a full level of fluid. Had a external hydraulic line been ruptured, there should have been gross loss of hydraulic fluids. However, not being a mechanic, I am at a disadvantage. I’m at the point where I do not trust the dealership. The bottom line is JD will not cover the repair under their 6 year limited transmission warranty, although in my interpretation the manifold is covered as “all parts therein.” I am very disappointed in John Deere as a company. They do not stand behind their product nor honor their warranty.

As for the 3rd function valve, if it is prone to rust, then they should state so in their owner’s manual and advise to articulate the valve periodically (I only use it for a snow plow). I also tend to doubt the cause of the hydraulic system / transmission failure. A tractor with less than 400 engine hours should not have these kind of significant mechanical failures.

Thank you, WH401 and Crazy6kids, for your replies to my post. I apologize for my frustration and rants. Sometimes it helps to just vent.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
No pictures of the hose?
From your take on events it doesn't sound right, the dealer could have been more "on your side" and provided pictures and details of the hose in question.
I am no hydraulic expert, but maybe someone here with some knowledge will chime in on how a suction leak could cause this failure.
I am pretty sure the E valves don't rust, they stick, I have read here that cycling them often prevents them from sticking. I believe it is common on all E valves, not just JD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man that sounds like the last p.o.s. Heep I owned lol. I finally woke up and realized mopar is garbage and left the sucker at the Toyota dealership. If I were buying another tractor after that it would probably be orange.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks guys for your feedback. I reached out the JD HQ and spoke with a Customer Representative who opened a case for my situation. Long story short, he called the dealership and spoke with the Technician working on my 3033r. He was told that an external hydraulic line was torn causing air to be sucked into the manifold, causing the entire hydraulic system failure. I don’t see how this is possible since I’ve not used the tractor in any environment which could cause a hydraulic line to be caught or entangled. Nor were there any visible signs of external damage. Although there was some minor leaking on the left side, in the vicinity of the hydraulic pump, the dipstick indicated a full level of fluid. Had a external hydraulic line been ruptured, there should have been gross loss of hydraulic fluids. However, not being a mechanic, I am at a disadvantage. I’m at the point where I do not trust the dealership. The bottom line is JD will not cover the repair under their 6 year limited transmission warranty, although in my interpretation the manifold is covered as “all parts therein.” I am very disappointed in John Deere as a company. They do not stand behind their product nor honor their warranty.

As for the 3rd function valve, if it is prone to rust, then they should state so in their owner’s manual and advise to articulate the valve periodically (I only use it for a snow plow). I also tend to doubt the cause of the hydraulic system / transmission failure. A tractor with less than 400 engine hours should not have these kind of significant mechanical failures.

Thank you, WH401 and Crazy6kids, for your replies to my post. I apologize for my frustration and rants. Sometimes it helps to just vent.
This is really suspicious sounding! Why didn't they mention the damaged line to you from the beginning? I would be at that dealership pronto wanting to see the damaged line on MY tractor.

What is your relationship with this dealer? Did you buy the tractor from them?

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,983 Posts
If I were buying another tractor after that it would probably be orange.
Orange tractors can have crappy dealers too, I know, we have an absolutely worthless Kabota dealer just down the road from my JD dealer.

Now, understand that I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular with this statement. But, how a customer approaches the dealer initially can have an awful big impact on how far a dealer is willing to go to help someone out. I'm not saying that in this case the dealer may not be trying to side step things, but I would have liked to see the initial approach into the dealer's office. I know here at work I deal with customers differently depending on their approach, you come at me shooting and I'm likely to shoot back, or we can simply discuss the problem and try together to work something out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Orange tractors can have crappy dealers too, I know, we have an absolutely worthless Kabota dealer just down the road from my JD dealer.
Well there is your problem,..... You are taking a Kubota tractor to a "Kabota" dealer,.... 😁 Couldn't resist,.....

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,983 Posts
You are taking a Kubota tractor to a "Kabota" dealer,....
Not a chance by me, but my FIL has a Kabota and I do run there for parts. I'm honestly not sure how they ever sell anything, the two salesman won't even get up from their desks and give you the time of day when you walk in there.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,687 Posts
I'm honestly not sure how they ever sell anything, the two salesman won't even get up from their desks and give you the time of day when you walk in there.
Sounds like my local John Deere dealer. I always drove 45 miles south to buy a tractor and only used the local chain for parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts