Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

I am nearly finished with my first annual service on my 2017 3038e and have not been able to get the new filter on. The fuel filter is part of a filter pack from the dealer and has part #MIU800645. This matches everything I can find online, but for the life of me the filter will not go on. It seems to not quite reach the threads.

I'm thinking it's the wrong filter. Any ideas here?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Model year doesn’t mean anything, what is your serial number?

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Serial is: 1LV3038EEHH104731
Thanks. That would be a Gen-1. According to JD Parts you have the correct spin-on fuel filter. The Gen-2 (HJ120004-) has two spin-on fuel filters, one like yours and a second different one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That would be a Gen-1. According to JD Parts you have the correct spin-on fuel filter. The Gen-2 (HJ120004-) has two spin-on fuel filters, one like yours and a second different one.
Bizarre. It's not a complicated task, but the new filter will not engage the threads. I've tried pushing up on the filter hard to get it to start, but no go. The old one spins on with no pressure.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Bizarre. It's not a complicated task, but the new filter will not engage the threads. I've tried pushing up on the filter hard to get it to start, but no go. The old one spins on with no pressure.
Do the two filters have the same markings? Can you measure any differences between the two where they screw on? Like the depth from the o-ring surface to the threads.

Maybe the new one is defective.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
BTW... my 2720 uses the same fuel filter and I just bought a new one last week that I haven't installed yet. If you want me to take any photos or measurements let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW... my 2720 uses the same fuel filter and I just bought a new one last week that I haven't installed yet. If you want me to take any photos or measurements let me know.
Thanks for the offer and replies. I ended up taking both the new and old filters to the local dealer and they agreed that, while it was the right filter number listed for the tractor, that it is not the same one that came on the tractor. After some searching, the parts guy came up with a different number and the filter perfectly matched the original. He's never seen this happen before and doesn't know why there are two fuel filters listed for the same VIN. The correct number is MIU803127. It's also nearly three times as expensive as the the other fuel filter!

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Thanks for the offer and replies. I ended up taking both the new and old filters to the local dealer and they agreed that, while it was the right filter number listed for the tractor, that it is not the same one that came on the tractor. After some searching, the parts guy came up with a different number and the filter perfectly matched the original. He's never seen this happen before and doesn't know why there are two fuel filters listed for the same VIN. The correct number is MIU803127. It's also nearly three times as expensive as the the other fuel filter!
Interesting. That is shown as the second fuel filter on tractors with S/N HJ120004 and above. On those models it shows two filters, MIU803127 and MIU800645.

What is strange is the Operator's Manual only mentions one spin-on fuel filter.

I did some more digging and JD Parts shows a S/N break at 610000. Everything up to 610000 uses one water separator and fuel filter and 610000 and above uses a different water separator and fuel filter (see table below). I still don't understand why the parts illustration shows a fuel system with TWO spin-on fuel filters.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts