Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

on the weekend I moved stones from one end of my property to the other using my 3038e with FEL.
For this I put the Forklift forks on and placed a pallet on it.
Since I want to make it comfortable I placed the pallet 50cm above the ground and started putting the stones on the pallet.

While placing stones on the pallet I realized, that with every stone I place upon it, the FEL "swings" or "swims" a little bit in the hydraulic cylinders.
Is this usual? Since there a no "dampers" I thought the hydraulic would be very stiff/hard, cause this swinging / swimming feels like compressing air or a spring....

Best regards,
Broesel

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Do you mean feels a little floppy?

My FEL hydraulics seem to relax a little bit after a period of time and cause the bucket to be a little floppy unless I re-curl it back up tight against the FEL arms. It's done this since new and I have seen others comment about it on theirs so I am guessing this is normal for this tractor. I have a 3025E, same loader as your 3038E.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There's a chart out there somewhere listing "in-spec" leak down rates for the different JD FEL's. The 305 (as on the E series) had some of the largest numbers, as I recall ...

Reactions: 69project

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As far as I can tell the OP isn’t referring to a symptom of leakdown but in fact about the FEL bouncing (not drooping lower and lower) as he loads the bucket with stones.

Yes hydraulic fluid is non compressible but the bushings, mounting plates, and even the arms of the loader and the hydraulic cylinders themselves will “give” some when a shock load is applied to them while they are resisting the compression of the fluid holding them in place. It’s just the nature of equipment when loading it.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
As far as I can tell the OP isn’t referring to a symptom of leakdown but in fact about the FEL bouncing (not drooping lower and lower) as he loads the bucket with stones.

Yes hydraulic fluid is non compressible but the bushings, mounting plates, and even the arms of the loader and the hydraulic cylinders themselves will “give” some when a shock load is applied to them while they are resisting the compression of the fluid holding them in place. It’s just the nature of equipment when loading it.
The bucket will get floppy pretty quick, so I am thinking that is what he is referring too. If you a loading it while the bucket is static and then you go to move the tractor you will need to curl that bucket up against the arms or it's going to flop a little bit on you. If you have a really heavy load it won't do that but if the load is kind of light it's a bit of annoying problem. It's like the hydraulic pressure relaxes a little bit in the FEL after a couple of minutes. It doesn't bleed down but bucket does get floppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts