Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 John Deere 3038E. I changed the paper fuel filter. I shut the fuel off, removed the bottom bowl which was very dirty. I put the new filter in place and then put the bowl back on loosely. Turn the key on for about one minute or more to fill the bowl. Once the bowl was full of fuel I tightened the bowl, but the tractor will not start now. My local John Deere dealer told me not to bleed the lines. He said the best approach is to loosen the plastic bowl let the fuel overflow and then once the fluid is overflowing then tighten it back up.

The tractor still will not start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Did you turn the little lever above the bowl that opens the valve so that fuel can flow again?

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Did you turn the little lever above the bowl that opens the valve so that fuel can flow again?
I see he mentioned the bowl did refill with fuel, which should indicate the shutoff valve was open.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
The manual indicates that the system is self bleeding:

NOTE: Fuel system is self bleeding.

Turn key to the ON position for 10—15 seconds before attempting to start, electric pump purges air from sediment bowl.

Did you also change the spin-on fuel filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the responses. Are there 2 fuel filters on 3038E? Mine JD is a 2014 and I just changed the paper-styled cartridge filter that fits into a canister with a screw off bowl (with a red float)?

Last night I did what my dealer suggested, by loosing the bottom bowel (it was full of fuel). He said to loosen it to the point where the fuel is dripping out (with the key on and fuel pump running). That is the approach he said to do to bleed the air out of the system. Then screw/tighten the bowl back on and then try to start it. I tried this a few times as I still can't get the tractor started.

When I first changed the filter, I did notice a lot of black grim/debris in the bowl.

My gut feel is I still have air in the lines, but not sure if I have other issues like grim in a line or bad fuel pump.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
This happened to me my first fuel filter(s) change. I needed to let the system fill back up. Try letting the fuel pump run to purge the air, a lot longer than you would think that is normal, before starting the engine. This worked well on my second filter(s) change.

Reactions: JD Thumbboy

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Appreciate the responses. Are there 2 fuel filters on 3038E? Mine JD is a 2014 and I just changed the paper-styled cartridge filter that fits into a canister with a screw off bowl (with a red float)?
I was hesitant to mention the spin-on fuel filter as it appears there are several different vintages of 3038e tractors. Some have different fuel filter configurations. The year of the tractor is of no use, do you have the serial number handy? That is how the manuals and parts are organized.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
I do have the vin - it is 1LV3038ECEH611500.

Thanks!
That helps. Given the choice of Operator's Manuals below, I believe the highlighted one is the correct manual based on your 611500 serial number.

In that manual, under changing fuel filters, they show changing the element in the Water Separator and then below that they show the information below. If the illustration is accurate, the filter appears to be near the radiator close to where the oil fill cap is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are an Expert! I do have two fuel filters on this JD (a paper cartridge and metal one). I would not have thought this tractor had two fuel filters. Even my JD dealer says it's confusing because of the multiple units based upon VIN as you indicated above. As you know from my message string, I changed the cartridge one and now heading to my JD dealer to get the metal one. I will install it tonight and let you know!

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
You are an Expert! I do have two fuel filters on this JD (a paper cartridge and metal one). I would not have thought this tractor had two fuel filters. Even my JD dealer says it's confusing because of the multiple units based upon VIN as you indicated above. As you know from my message string, I changed the cartridge one and now heading to my JD dealer to get the metal one. I will install it tonight and let you know!
An expert? No... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. On the night stand there was a copy of the 3038e Operator's Manual. :)

Keeping fingers crossed that changing the other filter helps. Typically the filter element in the water separator is the low pressure filter and the spin-on fuel filter is the high pressure filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:D That’s funny!!

I took the old spin-on high pressure filter off, filled the new one with fuel, put it on a few turns, turned the fuel valve back on and left the key in the on position for a fews minutes, then tightened the filter. After a couple tries it FIRED UP and is running like a John Deere should! Thank you very much for your help and to the others who responded. I hope one day I can return the favor to this forum.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
:D That’s funny!!

I took the old spin-on high pressure filter off, filled the new one with fuel, put it on a few turns, turned the fuel valve back on and left the key in the on position for a fews minutes, then tightened the filter. After a couple tries it FIRED UP and is running like a John Deere should! Thank you very much for your help and to the others who responded. I hope one day I can return the favor to this forum.
Woo Hoo!!! That’s great news!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.