Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm a newbie here. My 3038e won't start, click, or get lights. Battery is freshly off the charger. Looked all over for a loose wire and didn't see anything. I used it all afternoon the other day, parked it, turned if off and returned a few hours later to the current sad situation. Any help on this would be fantastic!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Battery connections clean and tight?
This. Take both cables off and get a battery terminal brush (any auto parts store, looks like this) and clean both the cable ends and the battery terminals bright and shiny. Tighten down and try again. With only 12 volts available, it don't take much to stop the flow of current.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
If it’s an OEM Deere battery there are a lot of threads on here about them suddenly dying. Mine did, about a month out of its 36 month warranty. Would just click the relays on but nothing else. New battery and started right up.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The battery is probably ok but not a sure thing. The best way is to load test it. You can also check it with a voltmeter, usually reads 12.6 to 13 volts for a good battery. I put off buying a load tester for years, bought one a few years ago and use it more often then I thought I would, a good one costs $60 and a cheap one $20.

·
Premium Member
17,271 Posts
we put it on the charger until it said it was full
You need to load test it. Most auto parts stores will test them for free.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You need to load test it. Most auto parts stores will test them for free.
Agreed.
Do that, after cleaning and tightening all connections on the battery, and the ground cable at the tractor, including the tractor side of the ground connection. Electrical/star washers work good at this connection, to easily get through grime and corrosion.

Reactions: ClydeLogan

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Hi! I'm a newbie here. My 3038e won't start, click, or get lights. Battery is freshly off the charger. Looked all over for a loose wire and didn't see anything. I used it all afternoon the other day, parked it, turned if off and returned a few hours later to the current sad situation. Any help on this would be fantastic!
Have you tried starting the tractor using jumper cables to a known good battery, or a jumper battery box like a NOKO or an AntiGravity ? If it still won't start, or even try, that's another sign of the Deere battery being a victim of sudden battery death syndrome. Of course, it could be a faulty connection, relay, or fuse, and the Deere battery may actually still be in good shape.

A classic description of Deere sudden battery death syndrome is "ran fine when parked, now nothing, battery tests fine."

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
wait guys. i can't even jump it off. doesn't that mean its something else???
Another sign of the syndrome of sudden battery death is that the tractor often cannot be jump started, as long as the original battery is still connected. It seems that the original battery may have an internal short circuit that somehow prevents current from flowing from the jumper battery to the tractor.

A definite test would be to disconnect the battery cables from the original battery, and then hook your jumper cables directly to the tractor battery cables, leaving the original battery completely out of the loop. If it starts, it was the original battery and it needs replacement. If the tractor still is completely dead when a known good battery is connected. then it is something else, like a bad ground connection.

Another frequent thing people report is that they heard a "pop" when they turned the key to try to start the tractor the initial time it wouldn't start. The "pop" is the internal short circuit killing a cell in the old battery.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
Ok tried that and nothing. It's not the battery. :(
You should still have the battery load tested in order to rule it out as the problem.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What did you try and jump it with? An actual battery or...? Some small jump packs can't handle cranking a diesel, at least not with the glow plugs enabled.

Also, what did you mean by "no lights"? No worklights/headlghts or did you mean the annunciator lights on the panel like oil pressure, glow plug etc?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I think it would be nice , err helpful too, if someone could post an electrical schematic. BUT! There may be a couple of manuals depending on serial number!
Deeregal, please post tractor serial number. Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did you try and jump it with? An actual battery or...? Some small jump packs can't handle cranking a diesel, at least not with the glow plugs enabled.

Also, what did you mean by "no lights"? No worklights/headlghts or did you mean the annunciator lights on the panel like oil pressure, glow plug etc?
I used my FJ Cruiser to jump it off, even bypassed the battery and zero power, no click, zero lights of any kind. This is a first for my girl. I thought it could be the starter fuse but if that was bad, the fuel pump would at least run and it's not.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.