Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a post on a JD Facebook page where someone said they installed a set of 3038E R4 tires and wheels on their 2038R to gain ground clearance. Has anyone heard of this and will the tire sizes/ratios work in 4WD without causing damage?

Sincerely

Reactions: Big and Herminator

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Which group was it? I'd love to see this.

Also, why do you say "3038E wheels/tires"? Did he actually take it off of an existing tractor? Otherwise, all of the 3E series wheels/tires are the same, except that there are now two options for rear tires...the original 41" and a larger 43", and that's for all three 3E models.

If the 41" fits on a 2R, there must not be any room to spare, which would preclude using chains. The 4WD ratio would be fine, however, provided you also put on the 27" fronts.

I was actually thinking of putting on 39" tires (paired with 27" fronts) once mine worn out, because those would fit and leave room for chains. 41" would be interesting, however.

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
When I bought my R1’s. I gave this a cursory look. I think they would fit but it would be very tight.

The results may be different depending on tread type. My Rear R3’s are 2” shorter than my R1’s. Fronts are also different. Not sure how either compare to a R4 though. I suspect 3 series R1’s would remove the fuel tank on the first rotation.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which group was it? I'd love to see this.

Also, why do you say "3038E wheels/tires"? Did he actually take it off of an existing tractor? Otherwise, all of the 3E series wheels/tires are the same, except that there are now two options for rear tires...the original 41" and a larger 43", and that's for all three 3E models.

If the 41" fits on a 2R, there must not be any room to spare, which would preclude using chains. The 4WD ratio would be fine, however, provided you also put on the 27" fronts.

I was actually thinking of putting on 39" tires (paired with 27" fronts) once mine worn out, because those would fit and leave room for chains. 41" would be interesting, however.
mike01 -
The group you just joined - John Deere 2 Series tractors (2025R, 2032R, 2038R, etc).
I said "3038E wheels/tires" because I believe they changed tires and rims as a set, but that wasn't 100% clear. I believe the rear rim diameter is larger. but the front rims are the same with a taller profile tire?

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
When I bought my R1’s. I gave this a cursory look. I think they would fit but it would be very tight.

The results may be different depending on tread type. My Rear R3’s are 2” shorter than my R1’s. Fronts are also different. Not sure how either compare to a R4 though. I suspect 3 series R1’s would remove the fuel tank on the first rotation.
OOPS :lol:

I saw that post as well Joe and that got my attention. Didn't look to be much room to spare between the fenders and tires.

Reactions: HomesteadJoe

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
mike01 -
The group you just joined - John Deere 2 Series tractors (2025R, 2032R, 2038R, etc).
I said "3038E wheels/tires" because I believe they changed tires and rims as a set, but that wasn't 100% clear. I believe the rear rim diameter is larger. but the front rims are the same with a taller profile tire?

Sincerely
I just spent like 20 minutes scrolling down to the very last post in that group. Couldn’t find it. Did they not post pics?

I did find a guy who bought a set of wheels and R4 tires off of a 2038R. Photo was of them in the back of his pickup. Maybe you misread it?

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mike01 -

Sincerely
I just spent like 20 minutes scrolling down to the very last post in that group. Couldn’t find it. Did they not post pics?

I did find a guy who bought a set of wheels and R4 tires off of a 2038R. Photo was of them in the back of his pickup. Maybe you misread it?
Yes, maybe I misread it....... or maybe you missed it? You be the judge?

Sincerely

Attachments

Reactions: mike01

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OOPS

I saw that post as well Joe and that got my attention. Didn't look to be much room to spare between the fenders and tires.
I don’t know Pat, it looks like there is plenty of clearance......

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I did miss it, thank you. I was looking for obvious photos and those were hidden in the comments.

Hmm...very interesting. Definitely no room for chains though.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did miss it, thank you. I was looking for obvious photos and those were hidden in the comments.

Hmm...very interesting. Definitely no room for chains though.
You really think there's no room for chains? It looks like there is 4"-6" of clearance still...... I know using photos to make these judgements are deceiving though..... I was more concerned about the wheel diameters and gear ratios causing damage to the drivetrain...... I still wonder.......

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
You really think there's no room for chains? It looks like there is 4"-6" of clearance still......
Between tire and fender? I don't really see a gap at all in either of the photos. I know photos are deceiving, so I'm assuming there is some sort of gap, but 4-6"? I'm not sure we have that with stock tires. :)

I was more concerned about the wheel diameters and gear ratios causing damage to the drivetrain...... I still wonder.......
Don't worry about that. The ratios are flexible. For example, the 3E tractors come with either 41" or 43" rear tires...the fronts remain the same and the axle ratios don't change. Tractor front axles are generally over-driven (The front wheels turn more than the rears) to aid in steering. So they are not perfectly matched to begin with.

That said, as long as you go with the 3E fronts as well, the ratio will be maintained.

Another reason to go with the fronts too is that you don't want your tractor pitched down in the front. For it to sit level, you would need to change both.

I think our tractors would be perfect with 39" tires. These may be too big. Unless you have an alternate set to swap out for winter.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
14,203 Posts
I don’t know Pat, it looks like there is plenty of clearance......

Sincerely
There is definitely enough room to make it work, but "plenty" :dunno: opinions vary, that's the nice thing about everything, but we can agree that it works.

Reactions: mike01

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Between tire and fender? I don't really see a gap at all in either of the photos. I know photos are deceiving, so I'm assuming there is some sort of gap, but 4-6"? I'm not sure we have that with stock tires. :)

Don't worry about that. The ratios are flexible. For example, the 3E tractors come with either 41" or 43" rear tires...the fronts remain the same and the axle ratios don't change. Tractor front axles are generally over-driven (The front wheels turn more than the rears) to aid in steering. So they are not perfectly matched to begin with.

That said, as long as you go with the 3E fronts as well, the ratio will be maintained.

Another reason to go with the fronts too is that you don't want your tractor pitched down in the front. For it to sit level, you would need to change both.

I think our tractors would be perfect with 39" tires. These may be too big. Unless you have an alternate set to swap out for winter.
Please refer to the photo to see the gap I was referring to.
3038E Tires on 2038R.jpg

I wasn't suggesting only changing the rear tires. All four wheels and tires would be required to make a swap like this work.... IMHO....

I have two sets of tires for my 2038R R3 bias tires that I run all the time as well as R4 industrial tires that I install for heavy excavation work only..... I use the R3s for everything else.....

Sincerely

Reactions: glc

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Ah, you meant that gap. That's not gonna help you mount chains, Joe. :)

When you measure tire clearance, you should do it at the tightest point. In these photos, it looks like the tires are just shy of rubbing. Which would totally work...but for chains, you need clearance not only to run them, but to mount them.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
Please refer to the photo to see the gap I was referring to.

I wasn't suggesting only changing the rear tires. All four wheels and tires would be required to make a swap like this work.... IMHO....

I have two sets of tires for my 2038R R3 bias tires that I run all the time as well as R4 industrial tires that I install for heavy excavation work only..... I use the R3s for everything else.....

Sincerely
So that begs the question - where is the need for a 3rd set of tires?

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, you meant that gap. That's not gonna help you mount chains, Joe. :)

When you measure tire clearance, you should do it at the tightest point. In these photos, it looks like the tires are just shy of rubbing. Which would totally work...but for chains, you need clearance not only to run them, but to mount them.
Mike01 - Where in your opinion is the tightest clearance on the rear tires? I don't run chains so the amount of clearance doesn't really matter to me. The tires just need to fit in the available space.....

So that begs the question - where is the need for a 3rd set of tires?
coaltrain - In my post I never said I was buying a third set of tires. I am asking questions because the subject intrigues me.....and perhaps others.... If I ever did consider installing the larger 3E-series tires for more ground clearance, I would in all likelihood sell one set of my existing tires.... likely the R4s which I use only for heavy excavation and clearing work which is when ground clearance is at a premium for my Gen 2-series tractor applications...

Sincerely

·
Registered
23,621 Posts
Mike01 - Where in your opinion is the tightest clearance on the rear tires? I don't run chains so the amount of clearance doesn't really matter to me. The tires just need to fit in the available space.....

coaltrain - In my post I never said I was buying a third set of tires. I am asking questions because the subject intrigues me.....and perhaps others.... If I ever did consider installing the larger 3E-series tires for more ground clearance, I would in all likelihood sell one set of my existing tires.... likely the R4s which I use only for heavy excavation and clearing work which is when ground clearance is at a premium for my Gen 2-series tractor applications...

Sincerely
I can see the point of more clearance as I spend a lot of time in the woods myself. But how much would one gain?

I think I am starting to remember now that the gen 2 tractors have less clearance than the gen 1 which I have.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
It's somewhere under the fender, on "top" of the tire but towards the front. You measure it with your fist. At one point it's tighter than others.

As for clearance, consider this. Let's say the clearance is super tight, as it appears in that photo. But...it fits. And you don't run chains, so, you're good to go. Right? Wrong.

Ever get a stone stuck in your tire? I get that pretty much every day. In fact there's at least one in there right now. Say one gets stuck and just happens to be big enough to exceed that super tight clearance. So there you go, rolling along, when you suddenly smell diesel. That's the smell of the stone cutting a hole in your plastic fuel tank.

If there is enough clearance there to stick two fingers, I'd run it. Otherwise, no.

There, I may have just saved your tractor. You may even owe me a beer. :bigbeer:

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can see the point of more clearance as I spend a lot of time in the woods myself. But how much would one gain?

I think I am starting to remember now that the gen 2 tractors have less clearance than the gen 1 which I have.
That's what I am trying to figure out - how much more ground clearance could potentially be gained. The guy who posted this on FB originally did the wheel swap for that very reason.... But I don't know how much he gained. I asked him on FB but alas, no response.....

The backhoe frame and the drawbar support structure hang down pretty low on the Gen 2s. I think we will all agree, no matter what compact tractor we're operating - that when doing heavy excavation work on rough rocky terrain, or when clearing land with tree stumps that clearance is highly desirable.....

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
That's what I am trying to figure out - how much more ground clearance could potentially be gained.
2.5"

Take the difference in tire size and divide by half.

That's also how much closer to the fender the tire will be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts