Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a difficult time deciding whether to go with the 72" MMM or a 72" pull behind. Going with a pull behind would save a considerable amount of money in my configuration. Which do you use and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having a difficult time deciding whether to go with the 72" MMM or a 72" pull behind. Going with a pull behind would save a considerable amount of money in my configuration. Which do you use and why?

Thanks!
I had the 3038 with 5 ft woods finish mower pull behind and sold all that and got the 3046r with 6ft pull behind. I like that set up. Have not done the mmm but still like my set up. B5092639-B08F-4A58-AB4E-06E6A0B89B4F.jpg

I would go with the 6ft model though. Always wished I had done that in the beginning but they had a used 5 ft model ,for half price and I took it. This time around I got the 6ft.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cliebold,

Do you find that it gives a good quality cut? I forgot to add in original post if using a pull behind is it a side or rear discharge. If rear does it clump up? also on pull behind do you find when turning around and the mower swings around does it dig up grass? Thanks for your input.

Also what length trailer is that????

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
I have a 39R.

I use a Z to mow the yard like stuff.

I have a Befco 60" RMFM (side discharge) that I have had since I bought my 2305 back in Montana.

It occasionally gets used now. It just covers the wheel base of the 39R. Fit great on the 2305 and my little kubota.

After having mowed with a RMFM, unless it was a dedicated lawn & garden tractor I would never junk up the underbelly of a tractor with an expensive MMM.

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
Cliebold,

Do you find that it gives a good quality cut? I forgot to add in original post if using a pull behind is it a side or rear discharge. If rear does it clump up? also on pull behind do you find when turning around and the mower swings around does it dig up grass? Thanks for your input.

Also what length trailer is that????

Thanks
I think the cut quality of mine is better than many high quality commercial machines.

I have never had any problem digging while turning with mine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've used a Woods 6' rear mount for over 20 years but just ordered my 72D last week. I'm switching primarily for the ability to remove leaves in the fall by piping the MMM into my trailer/debris sucker.

My Woods has set a very high bar for mowing and the appearance of the turf afterward is top notch so I hope the MMM can match. Although I havent tried the MMM yet, I believe the only "pro" would be maneuverability since the RM hangs behind you that you have to account for when turning and turning around.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
With my 4066R, I was left with no choice as the MMM was no longer an option on the 4 series. So I went with a 110 inch rear discharge Befco RFM. I am very happy with it. It is extra heavy duty and weighs around 1500#. One of the things I liked about it was the fact that it had swinging blades like a brush hog. Since it rides on 4 wheels, it does not dig into the ground when turning. Grass dispersion is not really noticeable, unless I am mowing some really tall stuff, like 3-4 ft tall. I have a 6ft brush hog, but I have never used it. I just wade right in with the RFM.

Dave

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Although I use a zturn for the majority of my mowing I do have a 6' woods rfm and it actually gives a nicer cut than the zturn. If I used a rfm more I would get rid of my 6' and go bigger. I never use it on anything taller than 6-7" and the tractor doesn't even know it's back there for my uses. I have had mmm's and they wasn't the nice drive over decks that's available now. I had to wrestle the stupid things out from under the tractor when I wanted to do anything with it that didn't include mowing and wrestle it back under there to mow again, I hated them. Even with the deck off I had linkage under there to worry about when I was bushhogging or working in a woods with the tractor.

I suggest a rear discharge, I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with one verses a side discharge.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 60" deck on my Z918, a 72"mmm and 84" RFM for my 2720. All give about the same cut if the grass isn't long. If the grass gets too long than than the cut on the 72`MMM goes to crap. The front wheels of the tractor lay the grass down and the shallow deck on the MMM doesn't have enough vacuum to pull it back up and it doesn't get cut. Later the grass stands back up and you are left with a bunch of uncut strips of grass. The Zturn wheels don`t lay the grass down like that and the RFM has a deep enough deck to pull the grass back up, even after 4 wheels have laid it over.

I use the Z turn for around the house and trees and the RFM for everything else. 90% of the time the MMM just sits.

Best cut I ever had was from a commercial duty F series front deck mower(F932). The deck on it was a beast, almost twice the depth of my MMM. I mowed everything from yards to fields with that thing.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Although I use a zturn for the majority of my mowing I do have a 6' woods rfm and it actually gives a nicer cut than the zturn. If I used a rfm more I would get rid of my 6' and go bigger. I never use it on anything taller than 6-7" and the tractor doesn't even know it's back there for my uses. I have had mmm's and they wasn't the nice drive over decks that's available now. I had to wrestle the stupid things out from under the tractor when I wanted to do anything with it that didn't include mowing and wrestle it back under there to mow again, I hated them. Even with the deck off I had linkage under there to worry about when I was bushhogging or working in a woods with the tractor.

I suggest a rear discharge, I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with one verses a side discharge.
I agree, my 84" RFM with rear discharge uses about the same HP and my 72"MMM side discharge. Better dispersal of clippings and not working so hard to push all the grass off to the side, no chute clogging.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 3033R with a 72" auto connect MMM. In short grass the cut is good and the auto connect is very nice, but like others have said, clogging becomes an issue in taller grass. I've actually slugged mine a couple times and brought the whole operation to a halt and that was going very slow!

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I have had a 72" Landpride since I moved in 91. Very happy with it always got a nice cut. In the past two years I replaced the gear box and the drive shaft but after 25yrs its kind of expected. I am replacing it this year with a 72"MMM on my new 2038R. I pulled it with a 67 1020 and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a 3033R with a 72" auto connect MMM. In short grass the cut is good and the auto connect is very nice, but like others have said, clogging becomes an issue in taller grass. I've actually slugged mine a couple times and brought the whole operation to a halt and that was going very slow!
When you guys say "tall", just how tall is "tall"??

Reactions: 45mb42t3

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I decided to go with a 72 inch woods pull behind rear discharge, model PRD7200. It is a monster, can't wait to try it out.

Thanks
Woods produces some great stuff! You will be very pleased with it I'm sure of

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I decided to go with a 72 inch woods pull behind rear discharge, model PRD7200. It is a monster, can't wait to try it out.

Thanks
Hiya,

I have the green painted version of the PRD7200, the Frontier GM7200R. You are correct, it's a monster. I do recommend the add-on anti-scalp roller.

Mine gives a better cut than my 2520 did with the 62D Drive over mid deck, not to mention all the chaffe and dust is waaaay out back and not right under me.

Also, the i-Match conversion kit if you have an i-Match hitch makes the hookup really quick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts