Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Having an issue with my fuel sending unit and I need some direction on this. About a week ago, i noticed that my fuel gauge was pegged out on full. Didn't remember filling the tank, and didn't really think much about it. It stayed on full for about 3 days, and I began thinking something wasn't right! I couldn't see any fuel in the tank so I added about 5 gallons and couldn't see any fuel next to the filler neck.

Long story short....I unplugged the fuel sending unit from the gauge, and fuel gauge dropped to empty. Grounded out the sending wire, and it shot up to full. Decided to drop the tank and when I drained the tank, I had less than a gallon of fuel in the tank even though the gauge showed full.

I've worked on trucks and cars with faulty sending units, so I didn't think this would be a hard fix. So I dropped the tank and to my surprise, the fuel sending unit is 3 feet long! And it has no float! Strange looking contraption! I don't know how this sending unit is suppose to work. I only have 340 hours on the tractor and a faulty sending unit that cost about $240 to replace.

I'm looking for any advice on how to fix this (without spending the ridiculously high price), or if someone could explain to me how this unit is suppose to work.

I'll try and attach a pic of the sending unit, but there aren't that many on the web.

Again, there is no float on this unit, just a hollow tube with a rod in the center. I am clueless!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Were you able to get this to work again without replacing it?

I too have this same issue with the gauge being pegged at full.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have also have a 3039R John Deer tractor with 60hr. Brought to dealer under warranty returned no fix to the full gague reading full all the time. Did you find out what the problem was with your and how to fix

Fuel gauge begged full all the time?

·
Registered
360 Posts
It is a resistor type fuel sending unit. Looked identical to yours. My part number was LVA 19140 but I’m not saying that’s what fits yours. Look at your parts diagram for your tractor.

I just replaced my fuel sending unit in my ‘07 4520. When the fuel sending rod goes bad there is no fix to the bad unit. It must be replaced with a new one. My original part number had been superceeded twice. I pulled the tank and replaced the unit. All is well now.

A word of advice when you do this, take the tank completely off and wash it out. Mine had algae growing in it and had plastic saw dust type residue from where holes were cut into the tank to install the plumbing. Check all of your fuel lines and it’s actually easier in the mind if you just spend $6 and replace all the fuel lines. Pull the screen strainer out of the bottom of the tank and clean it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts