Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!
Does anyone have the issue with your mower deck slamming up/down when activated on the joystick?

Seems to me that it should be slower for lifting and lowering the deck, Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Yes, that is a common complaint. My 3033R and 3039R both did that. I am told you can put in a restriction device that will restrict or slow the flow down in turn stopping that slamming. I am thinking my 3046R, must have something like that, since it does not slam up and down like the others.
I am sure there are better more accurate terms for what those devices are called.
Ken at Kenny's bolt on hooks could probably tell you exactly what it is called maybe even have something like that he can sell you to solve your issue.

Reactions: Neb

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
All you need is an inline flow restrictor, I just don't remember the correct size and thread type-I think its either 1/4 or 3/8" NPT.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 2013 3320 mid mount deck has this same irritating characteristic even at low idle. And it doesn't make sense that it 'bangs' in both directions, up and down, when there is only one hydraulic line connected (one way deck lift cylinder).
Here is a photo showing that there is already an orifice in the line to the deck cylinder. Would another one help? I'm thinking about changing the 3/8" hydraulic line to a 1/4" one and adding an orifice at both ends using NPT threads rather than the ORFS (easier availability of orifice fittings).

Bottle Finger Drink Alcoholic beverage Nail

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,003 Posts
Makes sure the orifice is oriented correctly. They only work in 1 direction.

The single acting cylinder should have a return spring to allow it to drop without the deck on. Not sure that can be slowed down much.

Reactions: cc1999 and Neb

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Makes sure the orifice is oriented correctly. They only work in 1 direction.
True for some of them, but not for all. If it has grooves in the other side, it indeed is a one-way restrictor.

Here is a photo showing that there is already an orifice in the line to the deck cylinder.
I would make another if you have the ability, just with a smaller hole, .031" is a great start. Change a 3/8 hose to 1/4 will not really make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: cc1999 and Neb

·
Registered
213 Posts
True for some of them, but not for all. If it has grooves in the other side, it indeed is a one-way restrictor.

I would make another if you have the ability, just with a smaller hole, .031" is a great start. Change a 3/8 hose to 1/4 will not really make a noticeable difference.
I agree that 1/4" vs 3/8" wouldn't make a noticeable difference. I just like working with 1/4" for its ease of routing, cost, etc. I'll have to wait until after the next mowing to check fitting sizes. I've been wanting to try this for a while, so thanks, 'benjie' for starting this thread.
Last winter I used this valve to angle my snow blade, and the lines that I ran to the front were 1/4" with restrictor orifices in both lines. It helped a little, so I have hopes that doing the same thing will slow the deck lifting speed, even if only a little. I'll report back here when I get it done.

Reactions: cc1999
1 - 7 of 7 Posts