Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a 3039r with bucket and a LX-5 cutter that they put on a trailer? If so are you using a 18' ? Looking at a Felling and a PJ or Bib Tex. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
I've got a 3320 with 300CX Loader and 485 Backhoe. The last time I transported the rig it used up all of a 20' beavertail flatbed.

·
Registered
21,539 Posts
I would say to measure the length of the tractor setup and add 10' for the proper length trailer. This way you have 5' of play front or back when loading the tractor to get your hitch/axle weights right.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
i've got a 16 ft mid-atlantic 7,000 lb landscaper trailer-and it is not long enough-if i have my loader on-and want to haul an implement with it. my next trailer is gonna be a 20 fter. WP_pulling away from bruces house after working their 5-30-1520150530_18_00_42_Pro.jpg here's a pic what i look like if have any thing on the rear of tractor. definitely need a longer one.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have a 3520 which is very similar to your 3039. I assume the size between the two tractors are the same. I don't have the lx5 cutter but do have a 5' Frontier and assume the size of those to be very similar. I haul the tractor and cutter on a 18' deck with 2' dove tail. I can make the cutter fit onto the trailer but the truck rides like he!! with the tractor that far forward on the trailer. I usually have the tail wheel of the cutter hanging off the back for a smoother ride down the roads. Considering our tractors are very close to being the same, if there is any measurements you would like or additional photos you would like to see of the tractor placed on a 18' deck or the entire 20' (including the dovetail) give a shout. I have used the 16' trailer several times to haul this same tractor and cutter and all goes well with it also, just have more of the cutter hanging off the back. None of my larger trailers have the drop gate as shown in Big Jims photo, the drop gate/ramp makes tractor hauling difficult IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

I would say your looking at a 22 footer minimum and better off going 24 foot. I would look at the PJ equipment tilt, it's rated at 14K/10K payload.

I find a tilt is better than a beavertail or flat w/ramps setup, it so easy to get on and off and you have the entire length of the deck rather than giving up some space for ramps or sloped tail.

Your better off spending the money once to get exactly what you want rather than settle and be stuck with something you like less and less every time you use it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I wouldn't go with a 22 or 24' trailer if your pulling with a 1/2 ton truck and intending on a bumper pull. Been there, done that, and it sucked for equipment hauling. I had a longer trailer that I still couldn't use to its full ability due to the weight it put on the tongue.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I wouldn't go with a 22 or 24' trailer if your pulling with a 1/2 ton truck and intending on a bumper pull. Been there, done that, and it sucked for equipment hauling. I had a longer trailer that I still couldn't use to its full ability due to the weight it put on the tongue.
Ya, you can't use a bumper ball pull for anything larger than a small utility trailer, anything over 1K should be on a receiver hitch mounted to the frame. 1/2 ton trucks are normally limited to about 8-9K and you have to add towing packages to get there otherwise they are in the 4-5K range. The smallest truck I have is a HD 3/4 ton Diesel, I forget some people don't have Diesel trucks.... :unknown:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Ya, you can't use a bumper ball pull for anything larger than a small utility trailer, anything over 1K should be on a receiver hitch mounted to the frame. 1/2 ton trucks are normally limited to about 8-9K and you have to add towing packages to get there otherwise they are in the 4-5K range. The smallest truck I have is a HD 3/4 ton Diesel, I forget some people don't have Diesel trucks.... :unknown:
I was referring to a bumper pull in terms of not a gooseneck. Surely hope no one would load a 3 series onto a trailer hitched to the bumper of a truck, I assumed the op would have a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I was referring to a bumper pull in terms of not a gooseneck. Surely hope no one would load a 3 series onto a trailer hitched to the bumper of a truck, I assumed the op would have a receiver hitch.
Hiya,

You would be surprised at what I have seen pass me on the highway being towed on a bumpy ball...... a few months ago I saw someone towing an older skidsteer with a beat Chevy WT on what a looked to be an '90's style landscaper trailer, hitched to the bumper which was tilted at about a 45 degree angle from the weight and rusted to boot :crazy:

And you are correct, a 24 footer on a receiver hitch is not as good as a gooseneck setup for heavy stuff.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hiya,

You would be surprised at what I have seen pass me on the highway being towed on a bumpy ball...... a few months ago I saw someone towing an older skidsteer with a beat Chevy WT on what a looked to be an '90's style landscaper trailer, hitched to the bumper which was tilted at about a 45 degree angle from the weight and rusted to boot :crazy:

And you are correct, a 24 footer on a receiver hitch is not as good as a gooseneck setup for heavy stuff.
Thats a site I'd prefer not to see, I know first hand that GM rust isn't that stout.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
F150s can be configured to tow over 12K at this point with a payload capacity of over 3K. I'm not sure 1/2 ton is still a good name for them. :laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts