Green Tractor Talk banner

Which tractor would you choose?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’ve only posted here once or twice before so forgive me if this is going to be long winded.

Alright for the first choice but more expensive choice. My dealer has a 3039R with the deluxe cab and turf tires. So it has mid pto, rear scv, rear work lights, no radio, air ride seat. The price he gave me for that is $43,400.

The second choice is a 3046R with normal cab with R4 tires. No mid pto, it has a radio, and a suspension seat, no rear work lights, and no rear scv. This one is priced at $42,900.

I plan on adding 3rd, 4th and 5th scv so the rear scv isn’t a huge deal on the 3039r. They’re both similarly priced but I’m more so trying to get peoples opinions on which one they would choose. Pretty much the main differences I care about the two is one has air ride seat with turf tires with less horse power and the other has r4’s with more horse power. Everything else can be added at a later time once I purchase it.

Which one would you guys choose and why?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Maybe need more info.
Does any of your work require a mid PTO?
Does any of your work require 46 HP?

To me that's what the deciding factor would me.

·
Premium Member
12,681 Posts
Depends on what you are going to use it for.

Both have the came capability / capacity with the biggest exception being PTO horsepower. So, what are you going to use PTO wise?

My 3039R handles a 5' bush hog just fine. Gonna do a lot of hogging, go with the 46R you'll easily handle a 6'er.

My primary use is loader and blade and backhoe work and the 39R has all the grunt needed.

Tires are the other big differences on the two machines you listed. R4's aren't friendly on a nice lawn as turfs are. I've never ran turfs on anything other than a garden tractor. I use mine in the woods a lot and for that reason would not do turfs. If I had to pick a tire now, I'd go with the new R14 style.

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,459 Posts
I agree with both above. PTO HP is the biggest gain here, so your potential use should be the deciding factor. You still a couple grand to put into the 46R with 4th and 5th and an air ride seat. LED lighting is easily done and cheaper to do it yourself. On the other hand, toss a radio into the 39R and be done with it, that's also very easy to do and not all that costly.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Hmmm... IMO, the mid-PTO function would be a major decision point to me. Do you need it? If you buy the machine that doesn't have it and want to add it later you'd be looking at big $$ to add it.

And if tires are a factor for you, ask the dealer if they'd be willing to swap them between machines.

Things like radios and work lights don't concern me. Deere asks way to much for those sorts of things anyway. I'd rather add my own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own 4 acres of land but my wife and I would love to get 80+ acres one day. So the only thing I plan on using the pto for the life of the tractor is for seldom use is post hole digger, tiller, brush hog and one day a skidder winch. And that’s why I would want the r4’s but that’s not for a couple years.

Main use will be for forks, loader work, maintaining my property like snow, driveway maintenance and I need the higher lift capacity and height to get into dumpsters.

I would not use the mid pto unless I got crazy and moved up into the UP in Michigan (I live in the lower peninsula) which could be possible because of the land we want to purchase one day.

However, for right now it does seem that the turf tires and lower pto hp might not be a terrible thing. As I don’t have any woods and my whole 4 acres is grass. And I will definitely be getting a grapple a lot sooner than anything huge for the pto. So the 3rd function will be nice to have from the start. Main use for the next 5-7 years will be loader work and box blade for driveway I suspect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also!!!! Be advised that they both are 2019 units and been on the lot since early 2020. Outside the whole time. Would that steer any one of you away? I live in Michigan if that matters

Also has there been anything changed to these tractors to make me not want these over a brand new one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Father always told me to purchase the biggest motor in the frame size that fits your needs and you will never be disappointed. I purchased a 2038R with mid PTO mower and I almost always go for the dedicated mower. Swiss army Knives are nice but rarely the best option... Go for the 3046r!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Also!!!! Be advised that they both are 2019 units and been on the lot since early 2020. Outside the whole time. Would that steer any one of you away?
The answer to that is no. Dealers seldom if ever have room under a roof for their new stock and tractors are almost always left outside at the dealers. What makes me stand up and take notice is that nothing seems to ever rust.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Nothing has changed to my knowledge, from 19 to 21 models.
Air ride seat can be added to the 3046R.

Which I would likely do if I was buying one and it didn't have it.
As others mentioned, the lights are an easy add.

Nothing wrong with a 3039R, I had a 2017 deluxe cab 3039R and it always felt like it had plenty of power for its size.
Never felt a I needed more for what it was capable of doing.
I also had a cab 3033R and I would steer you away from a CAB 3033R, No turbo on the 3033 and it needed one even for mowing with its belly mower deep grass.

As far as tires go, the latest greatest is the new R14T hybrid tire.
So if buy the 3039R you could always put some R14Ts on it.

Lots of possibilities which ever way you go. Both are good tractors in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright just got off the phone with my dealer and I think I’m gonna go with the 3046r and switch out the tires to the turf tires. And add all the extras that I want as I want/need them. And I don’t plan on getting any mid mount pto attachments/implements.

thanks for all of the help guys. I didn’t even think of switching the tires over. And I didn’t know you could add the air suspension seat. And you guys really made me think of the long term. So thank you again!!!

·
Registered
2013 John Deere 4320
7 Posts
Hello all, I’ve only posted here once or twice before so forgive me if this is going to be long winded.

Alright for the first choice but more expensive choice. My dealer has a 3039R with the deluxe cab and turf tires. So it has mid pto, rear scv, rear work lights, no radio, air ride seat. The price he gave me for that is $43,400.

The second choice is a 3046R with normal cab with R4 tires. No mid pto, it has a radio, and a suspension seat, no rear work lights, and no rear scv. This one is priced at $42,900.

I plan on adding 3rd, 4th and 5th scv so the rear scv isn’t a huge deal on the 3039r. They’re both similarly priced but I’m more so trying to get peoples opinions on which one they would choose. Pretty much the main differences I care about the two is one has air ride seat with turf tires with less horse power and the other has r4’s with more horse power. Everything else can be added at a later time once I

I plan on adding 3rd, 4th and 5th scv so the rear scv isn’t a huge deal on the 3039r. They’re both similarly priced but I’m more so trying to get peoples opinions on which one they would choose. Pretty much the main differences I care about the two is one has air ride seat with turf tires with less horse power and the other has r4’s with more horse power. Everything else can be added at a later time once I purchase it.

R4's SUCK! Turf is so much better on lawns, in the snow and on pavement. Air seat, no opinion I don't have it on my 2013 JD4320 and have no complaints with the ride. Mid pto is nice to have. However there is no substitute for power, having said that, I would go with the 39hp tractor because of the tires, rear svc and mid pto, Those options are very expensive to add later. If I needed more hp I would try to get a tune for it and increase the power that way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you have hilly property, you would be better served with the higher horsepower machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts