Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to tackle a complete filter change on my 4 year old 3046R. I've already done the oil filter and changed the oil but my first rodeo is changing both fuel filters. The instruction manual says to change the filters with a low or empty fuel tank. There seems to be a fuel shutoff for the water separator filter but not one for the main fuel filter. It would be difficult to wait until I am empty or very low before I can change those filters as I like to keep them full for condensation reasons. Plus my loader is off at the moment so doing this project is easier right now. Can I change those fuel filters with a full tank? If not, what is needed to be done to drain that tank. Seems like a lot of work. :unknown: Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't remember off hand if the fuel line on my 3039r coming into the black canister type filter is just black rubber or not. If it is than I would just put a pair of vice grips lightly on the hose, just enough to block fuel flow. Then change the filter. That should allow you to change it no matter the amount of fuel in your tank.

Rick

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
I’m doing this blind here, but...

Is the water separator up line from the fuel filter? I know on my tractor it is. If you shut the fuel off on the water separator it will also stop the fuel running to the spin on fuel filter.

And since you said this is your first time doing this - make sure you fill the new filter with fuel before installing it or you will have a hard time getting it started again.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I haven't figured out why so many JD manuals say to change the filters when the tank is low. It's funny because they usually say to have the tank full when you prime the system after a filter change:laugh:
I just change it when it's time--wherever the fuel level may be.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
I haven't figured out why so many JD manuals say to change the filters when the tank is low. It's funny because they usually say to have the tank full when you prime the system after a filter change:laugh:
I just change it when it's time--wherever the fuel level may be.
Didn’t think of that - I know mine is supposed to have a self priming system but have never had to test it out....

·
Premium Member
13,562 Posts
Didn’t think of that - I know mine is supposed to have a self priming system but have never had to test it out....
The 2-series (Gen-1) are self-priming but there is also a bleed screw in case the self-priming system has problems. The procedure is outlined in the Technical Manual. As is usual with these types of things, the Owner's Manual makes no mention of the bleed screw.

As for testing it out... you pretty much test it out every time you change the spin-on fuel filter. If the tractor runs - it worked! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just changed my fuel filters on a 4066R. My tank was almost full and didn’t cause any issues since the fuel shutoff valve isolates the tank. You will need an empty coffee can or similar to catch the fuel that will drain out when you loosen the filters and drain the sediment bowl.

The only issue I had was getting the black filter and the big plastic threads (on the sediment bowl) loose:banghead:
I recommend having a chain wrench for the black filter it was really tight.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
The 2-series (Gen-1) are self-priming but there is also a bleed screw in case the self-priming system has problems. The procedure is outlined in the Technical Manual. As is usual with these types of things, the Owner's Manual makes no mention of the bleed screw.

]As for testing it out... you pretty much test it out every time you change the spin-on fuel filter. If the tractor runs - it worked! b]:)
Actually the way I look at it - if I am filling my new fuel filter the self priming feature doesn’t even come into play.

·
Premium Member
13,562 Posts
Actually the way I look at it - if I am filling my new fuel filter the self priming feature doesn’t even come into play.
I do the same thing but even when pre-filling the screw-on filter you are still introducing a bit of air into the system. Same with the water separator. If you drain it or clean it out there will still be an air bubble when it fills back up.

Given that I've never had to use the bleed screw the self-priming system must work well.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
I have run out of fuel twice on my 4044M and after I put more fuel in the tank I just turned it over a bit then stopped and did it again and it fired off with out doing anything else. Did not start as fast but about 4 times as long to get it going again but not long enough to hurt the starter.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
I have run out of fuel twice on my 4044M and after I put more fuel in the tank I just turned it over a bit then stopped and did it again and it fired off with out doing anything else. Did not start as fast but about 4 times as long to get it going again but not long enough to hurt the starter.
A “traditional” tractor you would have had some work to get it running again. Usually cracking each of the injectors while turning it over will do the trick after a few tries.

I like the way the Deere system works as it can be so dangerous cracking the fuel system while under pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts