Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some research before ordering, talked to 2 dealers and placed an order for a 3046R about a month ago. Since then, I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible. The number of threads about the 3 series being tippy, having under built frames, and being slammed as glorified lawn tractors have me doubting my choice.

Don't get me wrong: I was very happy with the size until my judgement was clouded by the Internet. I went with what (I think) is the biggest tractor that will go through an 8' garage door with a cab that would handle a 59" front snowblower and a loader (72" 4 in 1 bucket)

Did I make a mistake? Should I cancel the order and get something bigger?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Guess we need more info as to use and property type and size

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
I've not read any complaints about the frames or them being glorified lawn tractors. That's just silly. Everyone knows they are glorified GARDEN tractors. :) Seriously... I wouldn't give much credence to either of those complaints. Most complaints of that nature usually originate from folks who didn't do their homework and bought the wrong sized machine.

As for being tippy, pretty much ALL compact tractors are tippy these days due to the narrow wheel spacing. This is especially true with the cab models. The good news is this can be easily rectified by either mounting the tires in the "wide" position if applicable - OR - installing a set of wheel spacers. Wheel spacers are available in a variety of widths.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
I've never heard any of those claims about the 3 series - and this is the busiest forum on the internet for 1 series through 3 series.

Why oh why are you doing this? You did your research, made an informed decision, and placed your order. Don't go looking for trouble now. Move on to something else while you wait for your tractor.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why oh why are you doing this? You did your research, made an informed decision, and placed your order. Don't go looking for trouble now. Move on to something else while you wait for your tractor.
That's probably the best answer. I should leave it alone and enjoy my tractor when it comes. Of course, if I roll it and kill myself on the first day, I'll be back to haunt all of you on GTT.:laugh:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love my 3 series. It's actually much more capable of a machine than I expected. That said it all depends on what you ate going to use it for. Obviously a wider wheel base will be less 'tippy', but by no means do I feel mine is unsafe unless I'm stupid with. It all comes down to how you are going to use the machine is to if it's big enough. The way I use mine, anything bigger would be more trouble.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD4044M and rtgt

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I did some research before ordering, talked to 2 dealers and placed an order for a 3046R about a month ago. Since then, I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible. The number of threads about the 3 series being tippy, having under built frames, and being slammed as glorified lawn tractors have me doubting my choice.

Don't get me wrong: I was very happy with the size until my judgement was clouded by the Internet. I went with what (I think) is the biggest tractor that will go through an 8' garage door with a cab that would handle a 59" front snowblower and a loader (72" 4 in 1 bucket)

You really have not told us much other than internet search. So "it came from the internet it must be true". Tell us your plan for the tractor. You will not find a more helpful group on the "whole internet" forums. I just ordered a 3046r with BH and 61" heavy duty bucket for my 10 ac farm. I have plenty of hills, grap I live in WV what would you expect. I do plan on loading the tires and most likely turning them for a wider stance. I will re-evaluate from there. I did not order a cab, just will not work in my circumstances. So tell us more so we can make good decision for you.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

The 4 series with cab is 8ft tall, so that would have been a tight fit in an 8ft garage door. Probably safer with the 3 series.

Dave

Reactions: JD4044M and rtgt

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^^^^

Primary duties will be snowblowing and moving dirt around my property for various landscaping and driveway (600' paved) shoulder maintenance. I'd like to get one of the cyclone blowers for leaf removal in the fall. While the land isn't hilly, it certainly isn't flat like a farm field. The tractor will need to make its way along the edges of the driveway and roadside ditches. Dropping a wheel is always a possibility. I ordered with R4 tires, so reversing has minimal effect. Other threads claim that wheel spacers will void the warranty and wreck the axle. That's kind of what got me wondering if I should have gone with a wider tractor in the first place.

·
Registered
23,525 Posts
Here - I'll tell you what....

Keep going with this thread - you will get a lot of help from some very experienced folks here.

As far as the rest of the internet - no more Googling Deere 3046R.

Instead sit down and read this - your owner's manual.

OMLVU28866

Edit to add - here is the manual for the loader also. It talks about safety - and selecting rear tire tread width, and ballast, and lots of other fun stuff.

OMPXX10906

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
No one else has said it so I’ll be the one to. Yes, you made a terrible choice...

The choice to second guess yourself based on undocumented and unsubstantiated internet drivel.

Wright your wrong and listen th the previous answers here in this thread, read and follow the manuals and use your machine within its capabilities and you’ll not be disappointed.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
^^^^^^

The ballast box is ordered and will be filled with concrete on day one! Box, concrete fill and iMatch hitch should be close to 1,000#

In order to reach that weight, you will need to add the extensions to the ballast box. I did that with mine and after filling it with concrete, it weighed 1043#.

Dave

·
Registered
204 Posts
No problems

We use a 3038E in the southeast "hills" of WV. We have 166 acres and just two of the acres are level (LOL).
We keep a large implement (usually the rotary cutter) on the back, the loader on the front and just watch our ballast and balance.
We've had no problems. We like the 3 series so much, we are trading in our 3038E on a 3046R with backhoe. The 3 series is perfect for our farm and chores. It is a good frame & wheel size. You will enjoy your new tractor. The picture was taken last June when we brought it home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,538 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor. :bigthumb:

The 3 series is a he!! of a nice machine.

Read the owners manuals, understand ballast, and have fun learning your new tractor! :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a similar setup to your order, 3039r cab. The tractor is perfect for my use. There are time I wish I had the loader of a 4 series, but other times I realize the heavier tractor would destroy the grass. I’d say if you are less than 15 acres, plan to mow, plow some snow and do a little maintenance loader work, you’ve got the perfect tractor. Even if you have more land, it’s still a good size depending on the lay of it.

I do a ton of finish mowing with my mid mount, my only regret was not starting with turf tires. But I now have a set of both, so I got the best of both worlds, other than needing a pit crew to swap them out when I want to play in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
13,561 Posts
I am scared of everything I own after I read about it on the internet.
Over the years I have realized that best practice after buying anything like a car, TV, tractor, appliance, etc. is that after the purchase DO NOT read any magazine, DO NOT browse any review forums, DO NOT post questions, DO NOT continue to shop and compare other similar products, etc.

Just crawl into a HOLE and enjoy your purchase.

Second bit of advice... never own TWO identical units of anything. This is especially true of things like guns, cameras and lenses. If you own two identical items you will always be comparing them and you will ALWAYS find something wrong with one of them. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts