Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been fixing the steering on my 317.
To fix the steering box:
0. Remove the battery and battery box.
1. Remove the steering box from the tractor (4 bolts, one on the steering link, 3 on the side of the column). Use a slide hammer with a hook on the end and PB blaster to remove the wheel.
2. Loosen the large bolts from the box.
3.Loosen the bolt from around the Cam follower.
4. Remove the cam follower and inspect it. If it's crazily worn out, replace it.
5. Reinstall the cam follower and nut. Do not tighten the nut.
6.Add the large bolts to other side of the box. Tighten them all the way, then unscrew them 1/2 turn. Tighten the outer bolt while holding the inner bolt.
7. Tighten the cam follower all the way. Adjust it until the steering doesn't drag.
8.Tighten the cam follower nut, being careful not to also tighten the cam follower.
9. Pack with grease and THEN reinstall column.

Be sure not to do the second half of the last step first, as greasing it with it in the tractor is hard.
Cost: The cost of the grease and maybe the cam follower

My 317 also pretty worn out tie rod ends. So worn out that it now has a detachable tie rod. Good thing it didn't come off when we were dragging it down to clean it.
So I did some digging and found these.
DRAG LINK TIE ROD END BALL JOINT FOR JOHN DEERE JD GARDEN TRACTOR 316 317 400 60 | eBay
Anyone have any experience with them? I think I'll just order one to see if they fit (and also to replace the busted tie rod end) and then if they do, buy the other three. That would eliminate a good bit of my steering play.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd go ahead and get all you need at once, shipping might be cheaper that way. I went down that page and the are LH female threads. Are all 4 of yours LH threads?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go ahead and get all you need at once, shipping might be cheaper that way. I went down that page and the are LH female threads. Are all 4 of yours LH threads?
Does it make much of a difference?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just thinking out loud, but you most likely only need 2 with LH threads. The other 2 would be RH thread?

·
Premium Member
5,993 Posts
Just thinking out loud, but you most likely only need 2 with LH threads. The other 2 would be RH thread?
Correct:good2:

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Just a note, as your tightening up the play make sure the steering is centered. If it’s tightened when turned left or right you can snap something inside the steering box. It’s built with the tightest tolerance at center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts