Green Tractor Talk banner

314 Caburetor tuning

770 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  rwmeyer
I bought this 314 it ran fine but needed a little tuning to be right. Did not idle, ran with some choke and choke cable did not go all the way back in.
He told me that the motor was new when he purchased the machine and as clean as it is, i would agree.
I tuned the carb, via instructions, sounded great and got a pretty good idle, seemed fine. This is also missing the filter, which I just received.
So I left the side tin off and went out to mow so I could monitor it closely., did a pretty good job, but after a 1/2 hour or so, I noticed some sparks flying off the left side by the muffler. I ran it back to the barn imagining a lose wire, but found the muffler was cherry red.
Is there a specific trick to tuning these things?
Also, I noticed that when I got into taller grass, the mower slowed like belt slipping. I am missing the front shield with guide tension, so I gave it a couple turns and it helped. Now, would this cause the issue I am having by being to tight?

Thanks in advance!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Run it on the rich side of the sweet spot for the carb adjustment. (As far out as possible before it starts running poorly. )
Set them both rich.

The turns you quote are just starting points, I have seen up to 2.5 on idle and 4.25 on the main jet.

Let me find the procedure
Ok, so I understand fully.
1. Main fuel (top of carb) comes out 2 turns
2. Idle adjustment (angled on the side) comes out 1 & 1/4 turn, Is this the one I run rich?

I just don't want this thing heating up again.
And, thank God I had the side cover off to monitor or it may have been worse and hoping I didn't mess anything up.

Thank you much!
Kohler recommends different starting positions then Deere. An aftermarket should be a copy of the kohler carb, not the walbro

The tuning procedure starts on page 39.

Test your way along the purple wire. That’s the start signal wire.
I went to start it the other night, nothing! No Click or sound. I'm not sure where to start with this dude. I do have 12 volts.
Possible key?
Possible solenoid?

I will have to test out some pieces to see whats happening more certain.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.