Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Indy, I can't help with cherry red muffler, but I can help with mule belt tension!
Remove front grille and observe pulleys on mule. When belt is first installed and no tension applied, the pulley on the right (from front of tractor) is towards the rear of the tractor and the left pulley is towards the front of the tractor. As tension is applied, the pulleys move towards each other. Proper tension is when both pulleys are even/side by side. You will also see that your belt now comes straight down to each pulley, thus giving longer belt life.

I've had 4 tractors since '82 with mule drives and NONE had a tension label! Bob

· Registered
2,341 Posts
I wouldn't worry about idle mixture adjustment. Kohler spec is (I believe) 1250 rpm for idle. At this rpm, engine will REALLY rock around and most likely break your engine mounts! Set idle speed (the screw on the side of the carb resting against throttle linkage) until engine smooths out/stops rocking & rolling. Without a tach, this is roughly 1800 rpm, maybe more, and this positions the throttle plate so your running off of your hi speed mixture screw. Start & warm engine, turn idle speed up and the readjust main fuel (hi speed mixture) as ryd explained. You could also readjust idle mixture, but I think that's not important. Bob

· Registered
2,341 Posts
It could be either belt! You'll need someone to help. Remove front grille and have them walk alongside of and just in front of the tractor. They should be able to see when/if the pto belt stops, BUT! It's still possible the belt is turning with the pto but the mower pulley is slipping! Remove top covers/belt covers on deck and have them observe what's turning on the deck. I'm guessing the tension arm on the deck is not moving properly or the spring is shot. Bob

· Registered
2,341 Posts
The 314 wiring is pretty simple... and here it is:

There're only 2 interlocks to prevent cranking, Neutral start and pto switch. Verify hydro lever is in neutral and pto switch is "Off". Move hydro lever about 1/2" to right then move slowly back to left... you should here "click" when hydro lever trips neutral switch. Set meter to volts, connect one lead to ground and other lead to a terminal on neutral switch, turn key to "Start", should read 12v. Connect meter to other terminal on neutral switch. turn key to "Start"... should get 12v. Connect meter to solenoid purple wire, turn key to "Start"...should get 12v.

You'll probably find that pto switch is bad, replace with AM34289. Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.