Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 314 in really good shape, needs some TLC like a grill and some paint, but overall good condition.
I also got a 46" deck and a 33 tiller with both extensions and tines are amazing! Really clean!
I have a 4 way blade I run on my 318, but want to make this little guy completely capable of utilizing it.
So I am looking at installing H2, just purchased all parts needed from a 316.
I would also like to know, Is it possible to install separate steer brakes on a 314?

Do these tractors come factory with rear reflectors? Lights optional?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm not sure about the 316 (Kohler ?) parts, but the 317 brake setup will work perfectly on a 314. You will need to add a stop pin to the 314 frame for the extra pedal. I believe I used a bolt. 317 pin is welded in place.
The 314 is at my son's home, no pictures. I do have a 317 if any pictures are needed when you get the brake parts.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Indy, If you don't get to many replies here, take a look at: "Weekend Freedom Machines". There's a fellow in there, "gabby_in_wis", that has added dual brake pedals from a 317 onto a 314. I'd join if I were you...it's free and good people in there. Similar to this site but focused on L&G's and not compacts, large ags, etc.

Tommyhawk, early 316's (316 Kohler) were H2 with single brake pedal. Later 316's were H1 with single brake pedal also.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indy, If you don't get to many replies here, take a look at: "Weekend Freedom Machines". There's a fellow in there, "gabby_in_wis", that has added dual brake pedals from a 317 onto a 314. I'd join if I were you...it's free and good people in there. Similar to this site but focused on L&G's and not compacts, large ags, etc.

Tommyhawk, early 316's (316 Kohler) were H2 with single brake pedal. Later 316's were H1 with single brake pedal also.

Bob
Oh Wow, thank you! I think I may have made an account, but if not, I will.

Also, are you sure the 78 316 had single brake? This was based off the 300 model which did have H2 and dual bakes. Also, I have been seing a lot of 300 and 316K with 1 set of remotes in front, which I find highly odd with 2 levers. Was this an option?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about the 316 (Kohler ?) parts, but the 317 brake setup will work perfectly on a 314. You will need to add a stop pin to the 314 frame for the extra pedal. I believe I used a bolt. 317 pin is welded in place.
The 314 is at my son's home, no pictures. I do have a 317 if any pictures are needed when you get the brake parts.

tommyhawk
Hey, thanks Tommy! I figured someone challenged this already!
I wanted a 300 or 316K (still kinda do), but this 314 popped up with tiller and I couldn't pass. So I figure I'll just make it mine and someday a 300 will come around.
I do have a restored H3 140 and a 112 with hydro lift. I also have 5 decks to sort through, which was also another deal I could not slip! I'll eventually be selling these.
I may be able to grab the brakes from the same source I bought the H2 system from.

So, I am assuming that I just need the pedals?
Is the linkage the same from there back?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Now looking at https://partscatalog.deere.com/, it looks like the early ('78) 316's did have dual brake pedals, but most of the pics I've seen were H2 and single pedal (???). Yes, 2nd set of front remotes were optional...inner lever works right front port, outer lever works rockshaft and left front remotes if equipped. Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

tommyhawk
Actually, thinking more about this, will I need to extend the peg that holds the pedal on, or is it long enough?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I really don't remember for sure, but I think my son got both pedals, cross shaft, and the links to the rear from a 317 e-bay deal. I used whatever was needed. I do know there are some pieces left over in the "spare parts" boxes.
You could check JD Parts and compare the part numbers for 300, 316K, and 317 to see if brake and hydro valve components are the same numbers. And check the 314 brake shaft number. If different than the 317, you wouldn't be able to just add the pedal.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
My son did those mods to a 314 a few years ago. Hardest parts were adding the hydro lines (from a 317). They were close and do make it, You have to have someone pull them towards the back of the tractor while the other guy stuffs them in the holes. Then there was some slight bending so they didn't rub and just a few foul words.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was out and about in south central PA the other day and noticed a green tractor for sale - someone had a 314 out near the road with a sign saying it ran and cut grass but needed carb work and they wanted $500 for it.

I don't know squat about JD riders but it looked complete and not beat up or rusty. The seat had no cracks but it looked like it was sitting outside for eons though.

It was on a busy road so I didn't stop too long. I did notice it had two hydraulic fittings on the front.

I'm not near the tractor and don't know the owner but if someone has a hot coglione for one PM me for directions.

Reactions: Herminator
1 - 10 of 10 Posts