Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last week I tried to start my 316 Onan since I hadn't run it for a month or so, and the damn battery is junk. Must have a dead cell because it reads over 12 volts but the second you put a load on it, voltage plummets and no cranking amps. Son of a.... It was a group 26 battery from Advance Auto, 5 years old.

I was laid off at the end of the year (just got a new job offer though!) so at the time I didn't want to shell out $120 for a new battery. So I went and checked my inventory of batteries and had the original battery from my wife's 2011 Escape that I replaced but kept because it still held a charge. Well I'll be damned if that group 96r battery didn't fit in the 316 with about 1/16" clearance on each side, lol. 590 CCA... SEND IT. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
26/26r are $50 at Walmart, and not much more at my local battery store, so that why I use them. I think they are 530 CCA.

22f is actually the recommend battery, but it’s bigger like the 96 and costs 50% more with similar output to the 26/26r

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
26/26r are $50 at Walmart, and not much more at my local battery store, so that why I use them. I think they are 530 CCA.

22f is actually the recommend battery, but it’s bigger like the 96 and costs 50% more with similar output to the 26/26r
That's good to know! We'll see how long the old Ford battery lasts, haha

1 - 3 of 3 Posts