Green Tractor Talk banner

316 - Tracing a popped fuse sound

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  #2isGreen 
#1 ·
I'm digging back into the 316.

Background:

It's got the Onan. I had it running perfect, but it was intermittent at starting. One night I decided to check wiring on the starter improvement relay and "formed the decision" that two of the wires were reversed. So I switched them, and upon turning the key I could clearly hear a fuse pop under the dash. Checked the obvious spade fuses and none were blown. All electronics are dead.

I found the John Deere Original Equipment Circuit Breaker #AM33621 - does anyone know if this resets itself (since it's a breaker) or if it burns up and needs to be replaced?

I'll be putting a new starter improvement relay in too - the one that came on it had twisted wire nut connections, I can do better than that!

I really want to get this running again!! Only has 500 hours on it, has intact belly screen and all.

#2 ·
its supposed to be self reseting, but 35 years later it may not be.

check it with a multi meter, or just throw $8 at the problem and get a new one.

hopefully the pop wasn't inside an electronic module

#4 ·
Were you SURE the wires were reversed?

As has been said, there are 2 fuses from the factory. If no one has added any, the only other thing is that circuit breaker and the Time Delay Control Module. If you popped something in there, they aint cheap, and they control everything, so if its kaput, you most likely wont have power to anything.
You could have also dead shorted a hot wire to ground, actually frying that wire too, through the relay.
Relays are a simple switch, activated by current. It doesnt matter much on the trigger side what is connected to what, as long as it completes the circuit (there is a much longer explanation as to why and how they are wired, but for simplicitys sake, Ill leave it there), it will work as its supposed to. You can just replace the relay itself, or make your own starter improvement kit, since you already have the relay plug (which you dont really need if you have the proper connectors).

Do you have the service manual with the wiring diagrams? Makes it a whole lot easier to diagnose and repair issues like this.
If you dont, PM me.

#5 ·
Were you SURE the wires were reversed?

I WAS, but I was also wrong.

I will PM for a manual - thanks.

Lastly I just called my local John Deere (Gladhill in MD) and they offer free diagnosis, and will prepare an estimate before completing any work. I may just trailer it up there Saturday and see what they can find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.