Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put a water or air cooled kawasaki in a 317? I'd like to see pics.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
it seems to me that the 316 / 318 is the most common platform for engine swaps, and also have the most options available.
If you're dead set on repowering an old tractor, you might be better off finding a 318 that needs an engine.
But, I'm sure it could be done in a 317 as well, just perhaps not as easily.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a 317 (which already has a magnum 18) and a 318 with what we think is a stiff motor. The 318 is my dad's but he hasn't looked at it in almost 8 months. I think the 318 will get a motor swap if the B43G is actually stiff.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
What is a stiff motor? I’ve found they are either stuck or free. Even a -.010 rod will buff in on a std crank or it will snap.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I don't have any pics but my dad did a swap in a 317 many years ago. Like late 80s or early 90s. I want to say he used an Onan engine for his swap and there was some cutting of the frame that was needed.

There is a local guy not far from my office that does lots of repowers. I want to say he normally uses Vangard Engines. Not sure how dead set you are on Kawasaki.

Small Engine - Replacement Engines - Engine Kit - Repower

Jim is a great guy with a ton of knowledge with these machines. He is getting up there in age though and I wonder how many more years he can keep it up.

I won't say it can't be done with a Kawasaki, I don't know if I have read an article on doing it though. That said I don't normally follow the repower threads either so it might be out there.

Reactions: Merc1973 and KennyP
1 - 5 of 5 Posts