Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corn harvest is finally done, and I'm back to puttering on the 317 I bought last spring. Got my driveshaft back from the machine shop, and dropped the Koehler KT engine back into the frame.
Earlier last spring, I took both heads off, and was pleasantly surprised to see no wear on the cylinder walls, and no ring- ridge at the top. But here's my problem...the engine doesn't seem to have much compression. Seems like it turns too easy by hand. By the way, the valves on both sides looked like new. I put a plastic bag over the carb with a zip tie, and I can tell it's trying to get air.
Before I get too deep in reassembly, I'm wondering if I should just repower with a new motor. Does Honda, B&S, or even Koehler offer one that will drop in w/o a lot of nonsense?
Thanks for reading. Just considering my options.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am not familiar with the 317. But I do know that BS, Honda and possible other make a repower kit that is pretty straight forward for the 318. I had a 23 HP Vanguard installed in my 318. Very happy with it.

Rifleman
I believe it. And I'm starting to believe that the 317 is some sort of odd duck, freak of nature. I'm stubborn, so I'll keep moving forward with the KT Kohler. I keep getting distracted, but this project will get done. Thanx for the response!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
That's a Series II. Spec. No. 24299 and below are Series I, Spec. No. 24300 and above are Series II.
Series I had pressurized lube to main bearings and splash lube to rod bearings...plus a small amount of seepage from cam bearings. If oil level got even slightly low or using on a hill side, a rod... or 2... would typically come through the block. Kohler redesigned the lube system in the Series II to incorporate pressurized lube to the rods. Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts