Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I just wanted to get some community recommendations on the first things that I should go through on my new to me 318.
The tractor had been poorly maintained prior to me getting it, but it doesn't appear to have been abused either, just basically used and put away.
The only wiring hack I know of, is a seat switch bypass.
The only problem that I can really verify is a pretty nasty oil leak, that I suspect is coming from the pto side seal. I have already replaced the oil filter adapter gasket.
The tractor fires off immediately almost every time the key is turned, with the exception of re-cranking after a very brief shutdown. Then it occasionally needs a couple of seconds to fire off.
There is occasionally a slight rough running episode during WOT throttle operation, that could easily be written off to old trash picked up from the tank.
The only smoke seen is a light puff of white when it fires up, or occasionally a darker single puff when engaging the pto.
I'm just basically looking for your opinions on things to look at, before I begin to put this guy onto real service, and start adding a 3 point hitch and attachments, or get onto cosmetic issues.
Thank you for your time, and feel free to share your experiences, to keep me from stepping into deep doo-doo, by starting to push the machine into full service too soon.
Joe

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The hesitant restart when just shut down may be a slight flooding of the intake manifold -- this can happen when the carburetor is heat soaked from having run a while and the engine is shut off abruptly (the cold fuel in the float chamber expands and runs into the manifold...) Try raising the hood when you shut down hot, it lets the heat out of the area on top of the engine that causes the expansion of the fuel. It might also help to check the float level, and making it a bit lower will address this issue as well if it is indeed the root source of your extended crank restart symptoms.

The 318 is a very robust vintage garden tractor, and well worth putting back into factory condition. What year is your tractor? The serial number to year mapping is found on the cover page of the PC1924 parts catalog and is shown below:
serial number range for 318.jpg

Chuck

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
MyTractor Forum used to have a stickie dedicated to 318's and what to check out when you bought one. It's basically common sense, check any wear item, service it by changing engine oil/filter and the same with the hydro, do thorough check of all potential leak points, etc. I have only owned one 318 in my time but I have never heard of any big systemic faults associated with the tractor but like all tractors that age it does require TLC and more of it than a new one. It's a great tractor and JD sold over a million of them, if the one you have becomes too much of a maintenance pig, sell it another one will come along.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MyTractor Forum used to have a stickie dedicated to 318's and what to check out when you bought one. It's basically common sense, check any wear item, service it by changing engine oil/filter and the same with the hydro, do thorough check of all potential leak points, etc. I have only owned one 318 in my time but I have never heard of any big systemic faults associated with the tractor but like all tractors that age it does require TLC and more of it than a new one. It's a great tractor and JD sold over a million of them, if the one you have becomes too much of a maintenance pig, sell it another one will come along.
Well, at this point, it looks like I'm going to have to begin going through the charging system.
On Friday, the low voltage warning light came on, and testing seems to indicate that it's time for a new stator. It's much sooner than I had wanted to pull the engine, but that looks like what I'm going to be doing.
On the plus side, I had gotten through two oil changes, in order to flush out any crap left over from the previous owner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts